My realization and probable return to Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chrispy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

So here is the deal... I had a white C2D MacBook a few months back right when they came out. A few months ago I sold it under pressure from my employer to get back on PC. Now, I know I could have installed XP on the MacBook but, for some reason, I decided I really wanted a Lenovo Thinkpad X60 because of its small size and durability. So... I sold the MacBook and got the X60 and have been using it for about a month now. It is a pretty good laptop but it has really made me realize how much better I had it with my MacBook!

The X60 is very small, light and durable BUT, with Vista installed the battery life is less than 3 hours on the standard capacity battery. Also, the system gets burning hot (think Rev A. MB and MBPs haha). Finally, Vista runs fine on my desktop but on the X60 (with 1.5GB Ram), it just does some strange things... won't shut down, apps close randomly, Windows Media Player won't open without ending the process manually via Ctrl+alt+delete and trying again, etc.

All that said, I think I'm going to sell the X60 and make the official return to Apple. I have already convinced my employer to order our graphic designer a MacPro with CS3 and a 24" Dell LCD (trying to stay around $4,000) to replace a very old Mac we have collecting dust around the office. Maybe this will be a step in the right direction for our Marketing department haha.

Now I just have to decide... do I get another white MacBook... do I get the black MacBook or do I just say the hell with it and get the MacBook Pro (are the screens any better these days?). I know the updates are probably due sometime in late June or July, but I'm happy with the C2D as it stands now so I'm not bothered by the updates. It would be nice to have Leopard so I may hold out for another few weeks in hope of hearing something. Hm... what to buy... white, black or silver! :D

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well you bought the Thinkpad because it was "small and light" so you could have portability. If you want to keep it like that, get the Macbook, because the Pro is bigger and less portable, although the 15.4'' isn't too bad. I definitely wouldn't get a 17'' for portability.

As for black or white, the white would be 50 bucks cheaper for the same specs, and white just seems more "Apple-ish", so I'd get the white.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

go silver if you can....but if you need more portability....then get either white or black.....you have to decide that...

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I beg to differ about portability on the 15" MBP/PB. Less portable? Give me a break. Are you a mouse?

5. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm kind of over the portability thing now I think haha. I don't travel as much as I had been awhile back. Now I just use it mostly around the house. I guess I just need to decide how much I want to spend. It is an ugly thought process that leads to spending more money... you think "I like the black MacBook look so maybe I will spend the $1,500".. but then you think "if I'm gonna spend $1,500 then maybe I should just spend the $500 and go all out". So bad haha!

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well if you can afford it......i'd get the silver!

7. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

You are a bad influence ;)

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes and get the 17" MBP. With the right bag you'll never notice it's there! I don't. I'm not sure why people say it's not portable. I say it's as portable as the Pismo I used to own...

Nuc

9. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Get the white model and upgade the memory to 2 gigs that will give your macbook a long life cycle. Truthfully if i had the money i wouldn't have gotten the macbook , i would have gotten the macbook pro 15.4, the finish looks super modern and its simply a sweet machine, not taking anything away from macbooks of course.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

of all the things i would use to describe the macbook pro, "super modern" is not one of them. the design's been around for 6 years, and it just looks plain stale to me. i'd get a black macbook, because i think they're really great machines. and it looks fresher than the macbook pro and even the white macbook.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know.....but it would pay off in the end....

12. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Have the screens on the MBP improved since the first shipping C2D models? I had a C2D MacBook Pro back in early November and it had a really bad backlighting issue. I had a replacement sent that had the same issue. If those problems were corrected I would be very tempted to hit up a MBP.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I just bought a 15" MBP and have no uneven lighting issues, but i do have a grainy display.

14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i bought one at the end of December and i can say the same

16. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Considering that thing is like 2.5kgs, it is like the most heavy laptop I've ever seen.

17. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah, it is tempting to wait but I get the feeling I will be waiting until late July given how Apple likes to wait months before integrating new tech into their products.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

So... you tried one not-that-inspired 'ultraportable' (with more compromises than I'd consider) and you've decided to go back to the distinctly average Macbook?

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2965&review=XPS+M1210+Review

Incidentally the base model of the M1210 is apparently a slightly reengineered Samsung Q35 (and one of the reasons Samsung/Dell have a deal that Samsung doesn't sell laptops in the US), which goes for an hour longer than the Macbook and weighs a pound less. The better models add discrete GPU's etc. Not as pretty as the MB of course but you have more options.

If you don't mind the GMA950 and you want a fully featured notebook which is truly portable there are a whole host of Windows-based options notably superior to the Macbook. The Panasonic Y5 (dual core) and W5 (solo) for example.

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Maybe your IBM has a bad install and just needs a reinstall. Windows doesn't normally act like that, and if yours does then you just got unlucky. You could probably return it under warranty for them to fix it. These things happen, it's not always MS's fault.

20. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Behold, 5.5kgs.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

He probably meant in a 15"? The MBP is actually in the middle of the road weightwise. There is lighter, and there is heavier - but it's not a standout and there are Windows laptops with similar power / viewable area which weigh less - in some cases, noticeably less.

For a fully portable machine, I don't want to carry either MBP or the MB, both do weigh quite a lot for something which is supposed to be portable. The weight difference between a Macbook / Pro and my Sony SZ (3.75lbs vs 5.6/5.2lbs) or G11 (2.5lbs, albeit with a core, a gigahertz and a few hundred pixels missing horizontally but with an ~8-hour battery life) is noticeable in a bag. Apple in fact has no answer for either machine.

23. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I do actually hope to see Apple come up with a "Pro" ultraportable machine. No matter how we fanboys try to justify it, let's just face it, weight wise Apple is far from being cutting edge.

24. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I tried a re-install but the problems continue with the X60. I think I may just go back to XP if I decide to keep it. My battery life and heat issues were not as bad under XP vs. running Vista. I don't think Vista is a bad OS at all as it runs like a champ on my desktop Core 2 Duo machine. If it does keep acting strange even under XP then I will send it in for repair before ever considering selling it to someone else.

25. iBunny macrumors 65816

I dont know if you need the mac "now" but I would wait until MacBook Refreshes that are somewhere around the corner. If it is based off the santa rosa platform, then it is worth the wait. Faster FSB, Newer Chipset, Faster memory, and better integrated GPU. All worth the wait.

Then, I would get the White, Santa Rosa, Maxed out MacBook. :D :apple: