My recent Apple Hardware ( iBook, Pbook, iPod) experience

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Alpinism, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Alpinism macrumors regular

I do not fit the today stereotypical Apple consumer (not young & hip anymore). However my first computer (~ 10 yrs old) was the Apple II +. Today I work in the IT field and use Windows 24/7.

I am technological savvy, up to date with most current technology. Having said that, I just first got my first real HD based MP3 player, a black 60 gig Ipod Video few weeks ago. Before, I own a 64 mb Nike psa mp3 player which was a real nightmare to use (no thanks to Win XP).

Yes, I been wanting an Ipod ever since they released the first generation years back. However back then, I found it to be overpriced considering the features (monochrome screen, no photo ...etc) + sound quality to be not worth the price. Not until the explosion of pod casting on itunes and video podcasting that I justified the purchase of the new Ipod Video.

Now I have all my pod casting(endurance radio rules!), video podcasts, my digital photos, my homemade videos, all my music in the palm of my hand (yes, in that priority). The integration of Itunes and pod casting is simply a blissful experience, one click and it updates all my podcasts subscrption. The sound quality is also much better than the 3rd gen iPod that I ultimately returned to Circuit City.

For anybody out there still deciding on an mp3 player, get the video ipod. It is very sleek, beautiful screen with awesome user interface and not to mention the high resell value. The ipod also has the most after market accessories out there vs other mp3 players.

However, I do wish that the ipod allows us to input "To Do List", Contact List and the calendar feature on the go. I know I can get a PDA, but I really do not need to have the bulk of a cell phone, PDA and ipod on my khaki.

Also having to scrol through all the artists name just to get to "White Zombie" is annoying. Why dont they allowed users to "search" for artist name or track name.

And now to the Laptop ...

My current Dell Inspiron laptop is a true nightmare. There are so many hardware and Win XP OS problems that frustrates me every single day I use that machine. So, I decided to seek out the Powerbook and iBook.

My computing needs: I like to do video editing and maybe even documentaries and shorts in the future. I also like to do other normal daily computing chores (internet, calendering, email ...etc). I can also see myself doing more creative tasks like making DVD menus, animations, audio ...etc. Basically all the creative stuffs that go along with movie making (Final Cut express or maybe even Final Cut Studio).

I managed to get the last gen 15" powerbook loaner to play with for 3 days. Below are my observations;

a) The 15" is a little too big to be a true portable for me.
    b) The laptop sure runs way hot while iMovie HD was randering my video.
    c) Believe it or not, Windows Movie Maker is more user friendly and intuitive vs. iMovie HD.
    d) The one button mouse is creating a lot of frustration (requires more mouse dragging), It is much easier to just right click.
    e) There are a few times when the drive failed to read a dirty cd, and the only way I can get it to stop is to restart the laptop. Its so much easier with an eject button or ctrl-alt-delete and being able to stop the process.
    f) OS X is rock solid vs Win XP.

Maybe my experience is better with the guidance of a MAC user or an beginner OS X book.

I also managed to fiddle around with a 12" iBook breifly. Immediately I prefer the powebook alloy casing better than the precarious white plastic they use for the iBook. Also the non-wide screen iBook LCD screen is a big turn off.

With HD camcorder begining to spread, I suspect that the powerbook and ibook will be so underpowered when it comes to HD video editing. I know I can get the G5 dual Core but I do really want a portable laptop.

I am dissapointed with Apple laptop hardware offering/option. I also thought that Mac OS X is more user friendly and intuitive.

What do you guys think I should do ?? Preferably, I need to replace my Dell Inspiron ASAP. I really do not want to stick with Windows but I was kind of dismay with my above experience.

Thanks for listening, I welcome any constructive comments & ideas.

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

UMmm thats kinda dumb... how would you "search" for songs in an iPod... by the time you scroll to select each letter I'll be done listening to the song....

3. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

About your proposed iPod "Search" function.

It's kind of unfeasible. How would you "Search"? Cellphones and PDAs can search because they have keypads. Even if Apple devised software that lets you scroll through typography and type with the Click Wheel, it would be horribly slow, much slower than just scrolling down. The faster you move your thumb, the faster the scrolling accelerates. It doesn't take that long to get down to "W".

An iBook or Powerbook definitely isn't powerful enough for HD video editing. Casual video editing, maybe. And you're not going to get a "portable" laptop that can do HD video editing, Windows or Mac. You need power, and the only laptops that fit that criteria are large, fast, desktop-replacement laptops, that weigh nine pounds and spend most of their time sitting on a desk rather than a lap.

You don't have to restart the laptop. If a program isn't responding, perform the keystroke Command-Alt-Esc. This will bring up a "Force Quit Applications" dialog. Select the application that's not responding (it will be highlighted in red if it isn't responding) and click "Force Quit". Force Quit Applications is, in my opinion, better than the Windows Task Manager, because the Force Quit function always works, while in Windows, the End Task often doesn't work, and you have to end the process in the processes tab (which requires scrolling through sometimes fifty or more .exe's, all with cryptic names).

If you want to right click, just use an external mouse. You don't have to use the Apple mouse. In fact, the normal one-button Apple mouse and the Apple laptop trackpads are rather limited. Just plug in any multi-button USB mouse. Right click will work off the bat, and if you download a System Preferences pane called USB Overdrive, you can customize each mouse button to do whatever you please, even launch applications and perform keystrokes.

Oh, and of course the laptop is going to run extremely hot, especially during video editing. My old Dell Inspiron 8200 ran hot no matter what it was doing. Laptops usually are like that...

4. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

If you use MS Outlook on your XP machine you should be able to input your contact list and calender... there is a built-in calender in your iPod.

As for getting to White Zombie, just move your finger around faster. If you increase your rate of finger rotation the rate at which you scroll through songs increases too until it seems you've jumped to the end in no time at all.

I'm too tired to say much more. Last post for the night. Sorry it wasn't more detailed. :eek:

5. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

For example,

If you select "A" under artist name, all the artists with first name begining with the letter "A" would come up. Just like the search feature on iTunes.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

a) i agree, i prefer the 12" . . . but ive never personally tested the 15" . . .but nothing can beat the size of the 12" for protability!!!
    b)just be glad you dont have the first gen of the al pb. . . they ran even hotter!!!!
    c)never used windows movie maker. . . my boss (in the IT dept at school) loves it. . . but then again i dont do a lot with movies other than simple editing in iMovie
    d)one button mice are FINALLY on their way out with the advent of the mighty mouse. . . apple finally got a clue, im sure everything will finally have 2 buttons once the intel line comes out
    e)there IS an eject button on all 'books you just have to hold it down for a few seconds if youre having trouble ejecting. and the equivalent of ctrl-alt-delete is apple-option-esc . . . the only difference is when you tell OS X to force quit an application, it actually works. . . the first time! (i could go on for 20 minutes the reasons that works and the differences in the unix based OS X vs windows. . . . )
    f)this is very true. sand is also more rock solid than XP!

everyone is disappointed in apple's laptop offering. . . we have been waiting YEARS for the powerbook G5. . . instead, we will get the powerbook with intel! im hoping for dual core. i think the PBs will be one of the first to upgrade. . . because running temp is one of the big reasons apple switched to intel. . .they have much cooler chips!

id say go for the 12" PB. . .great portability and reasonable amount of power. . . keep it for a couple of years until the second or third release of the intel PB . . . by then the PBs should be VERY powerful and you will be very happy. use this time to get accustomed to the details of OS X! once you have mastered OS X then you will truly enjoy a powerful machine! . . . oh yeah, get lots of ram!

7. jmufellow macrumors regular

The mouse problem: just buy a two button mouse with a scroll wheel. I went over to circuit city and bought a $20 mouse. Much better than crappy one-button apple mouse. I hear the apple mighty mouse is nice too.

as somone said earlier: command-option-escape = ctrl-alt-delete

The more you get used to OS X I think the more you'll like it.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My only advice would be to give it some time. It's common for switcher to Windows to say that OS X isn't user friendly and intuitive after only using it for a couple days. That's only because you're so used to Windows and OS X is different. I felt the same way for a while. Now that I've been using OS X almost exclusively for over a year, I can't bear to use Windows. It just feels clunky and poorly thought out. Things that take one or two clicks or a simple keyboard shortcut on the Mac take 4 or 5 clicks on the PC.

Just one small example comes to mind because I encountered it today. To eject a USB flash drive on Windows, you have to click on the taskbar icon for "Safely Remove Hardware," click on the menu item that comes up, then a window comes up for you to select the hardware you want to remove. You select the hardware then click stop and then you get another box letting you know that you can safely remove your hardware which you have to click to dismiss. Depending on exactly how you do it, that's either 4 or 5 clicks to eject a USB drive under Windows.

Under OS X, you can do it several different ways, all of them much simpler and quicker than the method described above. If you've got a Finder window open, you can click the eject icon next to the drive in the sidebar. That's one click. Alternatively, you can click on the drive on the desktop and drag it to the trash icon (which will change to an eject icon) on the dock. Again, one click. You can also click on the drive and press command-E. One click and a keyboard shortcut. You can right click on the icon and select eject from the shortcut menu. One or two clicks depending on how you do it. Finally there's File->Eject in the menu bar.

No matter which of the five different ways you eject a USB drive under OS X, it only takes one click, at most two. Windows on the other hand makes you do it one way (to my knowledge), and it takes 4 to 5 clicks and navigating through several windows/pop up dialogs.

These same kind of differences are common throughout OS X. It's just much more efficient and better designed than Windows. Still, it takes a little getting used to, because it is in fact different from Windows.

9. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Thats TOO complicated. Still by the time you go through all those menus I would have already selected the song and put the iPod away. I would NOT buy an iPod with that 'feature'.

10. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Yet you bought the Nike PSA, an overpriced, underpowered toy. Yeah, I remember. Manufactured by Rio, with a Nike logo for those who value brand image over functionality. As I recall, that player didn't have a color screen, photos, and there were quality issues with that one as well.

Yeah, I used to work in a store similar to Circuit City. I've dealt with customers like that.

I think you'd be in the minority. Most people appreciate the current simplicity.

See above. As an alternative, you can make playlists for your frequently listened to songs.

Yeah, we all want that tiny 10" ultra-portable with tons of power to spare and running cooler than a refrigerator. Unfortunately, this super-laptop has not yet been invented. Even in the Windows sphere, most ultra-portables are underpowered and feature-lacking. You sacrifice power for size, and vice-versa.

A 15" is the best compromise of power and size.

No it's not. It may be more simple, but iMovie HD is infinitely more useful and intuitive. If you used iMovie for years and picked up Windows Movie Maker, you'd say the opposite.

Then plug in your USB mouse and right-click.

You borrowed a laptop and stuffed dirty CDs into it's drive?

Doubtful.

There are various pros and cons regarding the PowerBook's aluminum casing and the iBook's plastic. I prefer the iBook's plastic, as I don't need to worry about denting it.

As for the non-wide screen LCD in the iBook, what do you need it for?

You could say the same about most laptops. Obviously, there are laptops with desktop processors inside. So perhaps you should check those out, and let us know how Windows Movie Maker rocks your socks.

Probably stick with Windows. I've never seen so much determined negativity. I'm sure if you did take the plunge and get a Mac, you'd probably return it quickly anyhow.

11. jmufellow macrumors regular

plasticparadox, I believe your post to be more negative than the OP.

12. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Guilty as charged.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I will have to say this is the bitchyiest post I have ever seen. Huh Huh I worked at a store like circuit city ive dealt with customers like you, huh im a pompus bas****.

Have they developed a usb mouse that is easy to use when your not sitting at a desk because I havent herd of one. Though I think you will get used to one button but the fact that apple hasnt done 2 buttons for years is retarded.

I for one would like some orginization features on an ipod I dont think that will make it more complicated.

He needs the higher definition widescreen display for graphical art READ

Take the plunge buy a mac youll love it

14. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

You've got your share as well.

Why USB? What's wrong with Bluetooth? Many of those are meant for portable users.

Higher definition? Strange, I didn't know that widescreen = high def.

15. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all for their good tips and intelligent comments. I have decided to wait for the mac tel powerbook or ibook. I certaintly hope there will be a 12" widescreen mactel powerbook. If so, I would certaintly hope that it can be dual booted with Longhorn.

16. switchr92 macrumors member

Vista, dude. They ditched the name longhorn more than 2 months ago.

17. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know exactly when (wht month) they are going to release windows Vista ??

18. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The Zen Xtra can do searches by Artist, Album and track. It's a pretty tricky interface though, using just the jog-wheel. It works though and has come in useful a few times.

With an iPod, can you scroll backwards through artist/album names?

i.e. rather than start at A and scroll B, C... through to Z, can you start at A then scroll backwards to Z, Y, X.... etc

19. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Not decided yet. They were saying November 2006 earlier this year

Here is a rumor of 12-7-06

Thurott says 3Q 2006

I'm betting it will be out about the same time as Duke Nukem Forever.

20. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

NO ! can u imagine that ? such a simple and useful functional feature being left out by Apple.

21. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Apple for Listening, even though it took more than a year !