my religion online dot com

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Apr 10, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

cool! it looks very interesting! I'm registering right now! Good luck with it.

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

my friend and I noticed there is nothing there for Rastafarians.

4. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

i hate to ask but what is Rastafarian?

PM me and i will see what i can do

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

as far as i know it involves lots of weed smoking.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

weed smoking is part of it but only a small part.

its a christian based religion in some ways.

here is a link with lots of info:
    http://www.rastafarian.net/

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

8. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

is scemo supposed to be the italian for "crazy"

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Outstanding idea.
    Being a lost soul and believing Robert Heinlein's quote "One man's religion is another man's belly-laugh", I will be visiting often. It could become a microcosm of the world, where the arguments get heated, or it will be the way it should be on this earth: A place where good folk discuss their beliefs in a rational, respectful manner, without fear from fundamentalist attacks. Time will tell!
    (My quote: "Beware of fundamentalists of every persuasion.")
    Good luck to you.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Consider adding a "neopagan" section with the other religions, which would include things like Wiccanism, druidism, and some forms of Satanism (the kind based on humanity, not the christian devil). Neopaganism basically covers all of the earth religions that predate christianity, and those based on them.

paul

11. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

any ideas plz forward to the mod not here so they stay in one place

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

People should really call Satanism that is not about worshipping the devil, something else. Its like being called a Buddist, but going to Mosque.

Also there are many religions that predate christianity, like the Roman, Greek and Eyption religions, maybe there should be a section for them. :D

Anyway, most of those religions you mention do not predate christainity, although they evolved from other religions that are older than Christainity, like Christainity evolved from the Jewish religion.

13. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

there is a general section if their is enough items for a section we can make it into one so don't feel hesitant to post

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Cool!! I think I'm gonna convert!! :D :D :D

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

here is something from the rasta info site that may clear things up a bit about the weed thing.

Q: Hello, I'm just wondering if you have any feelings towards white men using your religion as a means so they can legally smoke marijuana, I'm not sure if they practice the religious acts, I'm not sure if it would really be appropriate, but to see people, especially caucasians wearing t-shirts that say 'I am a Rastafarian, which means I believe in the religious belief to smoke marijuana and hash'. What are your opinions on the matter? I s this common practice among the white man, to still be kind of 'using' the Black man to acquire more of a stance in society? thanks for your time! Adrianne

A: I would not appreciate anyone Black or White to 'use' Rastafari for other means than love. To be a Rastafarian does not mean a belief in smoking anything. also If you would like to check out how common it is for Whites to 'use' Blacks, check out the next 100 adverts you see and look for Black elements used, music, hot places...etc. Also look closely at Black characters on TV, camera shots, type of role, are they being listened to by other characters etc.

rastas are wonderful loving people that are far from being a bunch of potheads. they love the earth and treat it right. they do good things for others. they love all that is good and just and fight spiritually for what is not.

never ever think of rastas as potheads. even when they do smoke weed its to give their mind inspiration. I have a few friends that are devoted rastas and are the most loving friendly and peaceful people I know. more than many buddhists like me.

16. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No, but I don't mind that it is :).

It stands for StarCraft Emo; :rolleyes: corny, I know.

scem0

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, the type of Satanism that is humanity-based simply live under the basic rule, do what feels good. They're also called hedonists sometimes, but that has less of a religious intonation. Many people believe Satan is not god's opposite because he is evil, and reigns in Hell, but because he doesn't think God should be worshipped and that humans should live their lives in pursuit of His happiness, because god simply doesn't care. Morality should come from onesself, never from a higher power. It's an interesting philosophy that is too often (wrongly) associated with anarchy... Anne Rice's "Memnoch the Devil" (the vampire chronicles) is an interesting interpretation.

And yeah, i slipped up, Wiccanism is much more modern than christianity. Most of the neopagan religions are based on Roman druidism, and some have distinct parts of both Greek and Egyptian polytheism. Some Wiccans worship the greek gods, for instance, but as facets of one entity: Diana is the part of God that's the hunter, etc. Once you get too far into the blurring of history and modernism, you wind up with self-serving babble that's meant to make a person 'cool'.

Wiccanism is an intriguing faith, one that's a lot more than today's goth teenagers make it out to be. For instance, only some Wiccans cast spells, those often assume the term 'witch' (or 'wytch') but reject the term 'warlock', whereas some Wiccans do not cast spells per say, these often fiercely reject terms like witch... they think it's a pop-bastardization of the faith.

I'll post this over there, you know, if and when i get around to registering. :)

paul

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

21. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

you can post em in general

22. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

He was right, practically all religions that don't have a major name today, buddhism, shinto, daoism..., are labeled under the broad sweeping generality of pagan. This was done by the Christians to separate and damn the older religions. The cultural metaphors that Christians liked were absorbed; christmas easter all other major holidays. Cultural metaphors that were thought as threatening were just turned into evil symbols: Poisidon's trident changed into the devils pitch-fork...