My Restaurant Rules

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juventuz, May 20, 2004.

1. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

So anyone catch this? I know it's on Australian tv, but there are ways of watching the series.

It's about five couples trying to start a restaurant in their respective home cities. It takes place (or rather took place for a couple of the couples) in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and Adelaide. Each couple is given an empty store front and they have to bring it from nothing to a functioning restaurant. They're given x amount to start out with and every week they have to go to the "bank" and justify why they should get $50k. There's only one weekly $50k winner, the rest get $10k. Each couple has to budget for EVERYTHING and it's pretty damn cool. They have to create the menu, hire the staff, justify the prices for each meny item, etc.

It's pretty cool. Luckily I get all the eps from Bit Torrent so I'm up to date with the series.

Anyone?

I'm pulling for Melbourne now that Sydney is out. I'd LOVE to see Perth go.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When I was a kid, I always said I'd start my own restaurant someday. I was going to invent a french fry dispenser that sits at the table and lets you pull them one at a time out of some kind of opening or gadget fed from the kitchen. There would be a counter on it, and you'd pay based on how many you took, e.g., $3.00 for the first so many and $1.00 for each so many more.

It would be fun as a novelty, especially for kids, who have a strong influence on where families choose to eat, and might actually be economical because no fries would go to waste, and they would be as fresh and warm as possible. (And still as bad for you.)

It could be adapted for other foods, but who wants all-you-can-eat green beans?

No, I never invented it and I don't plan to start a restaurant any more. Anyone who wants can have my invention idea.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

doctor Q thats genius! if these could be made then maybe they could replace the little bowls of pretzels and peanuts at the bars with these fry dispencers.

amazing!

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Have you ever been to one of those Korean restaurants with the grill is in the middle of the table? For cooking Korean barbecue just the way you like it for yourself.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, one in Koreatown in Los Angeles:

Ham Hung Restaurant
    809 S. Ardmore Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90005
    213/381-1520

Great food, but a little too much of it!

And I've done the same thing (cook on a grill set into the table) at a great Japanese restaurant in West Los Angeles:

Manpuku Tokyo BBQ
    2125 Sawtle Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    310/473-0580

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, lived in Korea a couple of years.

Good food. Like the grill idea.

Sushi