My School, Bess, And Blocking the MR Forums.

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Sep 19, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well its offical.

Every Site I have come in contact to has been filtered.

I pick my mail up one day, next day Blocked.

I Read Slashdot, next day... gone.

I read MacSlash... a day later, gone.

Finally, I have *one* place to talk to people online while at school, They Block it.

It took longer then expected, heck I have posted during school since last year, but they finally did it.

They Put the Forums under the 'Blocked' Category for:
    'Message Board/Etc'

Well yeah it is a message board, but we have moderators, and there is little inappropate things going on here, and if so they are dealt with.

I wanted to express my deep hatred for Bess for not only filtering the sites i frequent, but by also having a person *watch* the sites I visit and then blocking them. I hope their company N2H2 is soon put out of buisness with record losses.

I vow to find away to get back at Bess.

--An Angry MrMacMan

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That's why we have Megaproxy.com :cool:

Only games sites are blocked at my school, but megaproxy lets me get by it. Of course, soon they found out what we were up to, and blocked megaproxy as well. So, now we have to go to Jump-to Jump-to and then type megaproxy.com into that. A pain, but it works. :)

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

4. Independence macrumors regular

bess sucks. we got it at my school too. fortunately, they don't block the forum i frequent all the time. :)

5. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MrMacman

That's redicufu**ing.

I assume this is to limit P2P, but isn't there anyone you can call? What possible benefit is there to paying somebody to block inoffensive and darn-near mainstream sites? This is a question you should ask them - being diplomatic, of course?

Clearly, they feel there is a reason, you have the right to ask why?

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-evoluzione

Well, waitasec. If Mr. MrMacman is going to a private university, he has no constitutional rights protection while on campus, enrolled, and classes are in session - it's private.

Infortunate, and not-often-talked-about truth.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're in high school, not home on holiday.

There's no need for you to be looking at stuff that doesn't pertain to the class you're attending at that time.

Sympathy from me? There's none until you get to work. ;)

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Actually, many schools lose precious funding if they don't filter sites enough.

I just find a proxy server, and set it up in my internet preferences, and it usually works (assuming the proxy server is working.)

The people in charge of filtering at my school district were a**holes. They blocked the translation site Sherlock uses, and told me to go blow... Thank goodness I don't have to put up with their crap anymore...

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow that megaproxy stuff is pretty cool. although my school isnt to harsh with site blocking. there is one site they have blocked that i liked to go to and that was ebaumsworld. ill have to check that out on school monday.

iJon

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You're telling me there's no way he or any other student would use one of these sources for information?

all censorship in HS does is try to box in forming and inquisitive minds, which does not work. And I'm sorry, but the chance of blocking even ONE educational site/page is too much to justify blocks. Especially in public libraries, but that's another topic.

A while ago I read an article about how parents are dismayed that their children are less and less independent in the real world. Kids stay at home longer, depend on their parents longer, and the parents don't like it. But stuff like this is exactly WHY that happens-- you try to protect the kid from the real world, until the day he turns 18, and then expect him to live in it?!

pnw

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Aah, but that's not what the computers are for, unless it's outlined in the curriculum that students must be inquisitive.

My school's excuse was that if a student were to use the internet at school, it had to be exclusively for schoolwork, and the teacher had to have the sites in the curriculum for the class.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So do they go to their logs and look at all the sites that people visit and block them, or do they just block the most popular sites they can think of in their heads?

While I can see why your school does it (the money they spent for internet was to be used for school-related purposes.....and probably the reason it was fit into their shrinking budget), but I still think it sucks for you.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry, but MacSlash and MacRumors do not fall under educational sites. There's a fine line to censorship but as far as computer enthusiast sites, there's no reason to allow them.

I've seen this happen first-hand at school recently. I'll look over in class and someone will be "researching" the latest games or IMing with friends, while they're supposed to be doing design work or programming. Our school does monitor the traffic and they can confirm the user most of the time.

If parents are truly concerned about their children being independent, they should be teaching them, prior to the first day of school, things like reading, math, and manners. I cannot speak for the rest of you, but I learned how to reconcile a checkbook at 9 and helped my parents in the office with filing and copies. I also learned to cook and do laundry at an early age.

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yes now I can go to por.....uh blocked educational resources...

Really why didn't anyone else tell me about those websites?

They suck. Bess sucks I want to shot that dog...

16. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Indeed, but I can't find a way to contact them...

Like directly, speak to a person, who can *make decsions*!

Err...

High school pal...

Public High School.

Go and vent on someone else.

:rolleyes:

Its my frikken lunch period, and 1/5 days I get to eat lunch in peace when my teaches don't want to talk to me, I want to look at sites *I like*

They seemed to have (somehow?) Locked the preferences, might have to do with another program called 'Fortress'

The first thing to go where the translation sites, I need to look up a word in spanish, the site is blocked.

So annoying, you think I'm gonna put my whole paragraph in a translator? Hell no. they never work.

Personally, I have no damn clue how they are doing it, probably logging sites, but *I* am the only person visiting and at most it is once a day?

:confused:

And my school district is absurdly rich, they didn't know what to do with the money so they negotiated when the teachers contract ran out they would get more...

Indeed MacSlash is News (¡Oh no!), but I have asked questions my Tech Teacher asked me on these boards and then checked it and have seen the response.

And about you gaming:
    a) Bess is a Web Proxy, it blocks websites, not Ports.
    b) My School has blocked the ports for AIM, IRC, and many various P2P [For no reason... Our Document folder can only get 20 MB worth]

Yeah it looks like a cross bewteen an otter and a dog, totally messed up.

In case anyone was wondering, someone uploaded the filtering Page... To the School Districs Web site...

:confused:

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Hahahaha, they're still using Fortres? :D

MS Windows with Fortres is somewhat akin to a run of the mill lock. It looks secure and it will keep the common criminal away but someone with a small bit of patience and rudimentary skills can break it easily.

Hell, there used to be a program for TI calculators to get the backdoor password off of Fortres systems :rolleyes:

18. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Meh, I found the passwords already, but none of them worked.

Last Year many of their networked drives allowed you to access things like:
    'Xp-CD Generator' <-- No Joke, I can't belive my school couldn't offord the licenses... :rolleyes:

I will check tomorrow if Fortress is opened even when running DOS... Thank God for F8... :D

'cd
    del /fgc/'

:cool:

I have a TI calculator, I bet they fixed that right?

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

if you visit sites through Megaproxy, will the log still show the URL of the site that you went through?:confused:

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

filters...yeech

i love my school and have been going there for 23 years...local junior college...class here and class there...but for a long time, the computers had some sort of filter on it that hid links and icons on any interactive web sites so i couldn't post replies or start new threads

but i just dragged the mouse around until i found them...he he

i admit i spent too much time in the school library posting here...and prolly too much time in college and grad school...it's just that i never want to work...just go to school...and post on macrumors...almost a decade ago, they got sick of me being a perpetual student and offered me a job to teach there but i said, no...then i wouldn't be able to lounge around school like the 3000 or so older students:p

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well if you hate your school right now call microsoft and tell them they dont have liceneses.

iJon

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bull****.

It's antithetic to academia to bar anyone from reading anything.

Which is why I think most schools are no longer interested in promoting knowledge and learning of all types, but rather in training kids for jobs.

Education in this nation is becoming relegated to a being a more complex Vo-Tech. Which is fine, but you can't bill it as higher learning.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's that theory stepped up a notch:

Our educational system is just a means to keep people off the job market for longer and longer periods.

With more and more people fighting for jobs, the old system (turn of the century-ish) of kids going to school for 8 years and then working would cause an immediate collapse of the market due to the sheer number of unemployed out there. It has become necessary to "require" more and more education to prevent this flood; first a high school degree, now a college bachelor's degree.

And still, if you look at the jobs most people get out of high school/college, they require a lot of on the job training and use very little of the knowledge that people are "taught" in school. Some higher order thinking skills, maybe, but that's about it.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and if schools were required to keep up with the fast changing job market, too many teachers would be deemed obsolete and it would cost too much to rewrite the curriculum

so schools stay set up in a centuries old system of teaching what is convenient for them and their tenured staff while the rest of us live the reality of a 21st century high tech flavored rat race

one idea i have is to make individual schools more independent...do away with large school systems and administrative overhead

and within collges, for instance, make the departments independent of each other and be financed thru the state directly instead of through a large centralized finance department

unless this can be done, we will see the decline of public education in america while the elite in society get the increasingly bigger advantage of a private education

we are already in a semi caste system now, and with the current politicians in america, they will see to it that the gap widens for the interests of their rich lobbyists