My School

Discussion in 'Community' started by MetallicPenguin, Jul 28, 2003.

1. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

My school is really starting to annoy me.

We just redesigned the "point system."
    And made changes to the dress code. You have to wear a collared shirt at all times, no screen print, shirts have to be tucked in throughout school day. (well it was already like that, but now the same thing goes for the girls)

If you are out of dress code, you receive one point; that means, if you walk out of the bathroom, with half of your shirt un-tucked accidently, you receive a point.
    2 Points, you must go on a Saturday or Wednesday to pull up weeds or pick up trash for about 3 hours.

Then when you get 4 points, you do the same thing. 5 points: you get in-school suspension. 6 points, you do Saturday/Wednesday detail again, 8 points, and you get out-of-school suspension (regular suspension).

The points last for the entire year, they don't go back down to zero each quarter or semester.

The school has no Macs, no graphic courses, no video courses, and no design courses that I know of.

This is really getting on my nerves because my parents pay quite a bit of money for me to go here, and I don't like this at all, and neither does anyone else (including parents).

Does anyone have the same type of thing at their school?

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Find a public school with art/design courses you would prefer and enroll there. Plus, its free.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man your school sucks. at our school we can wear just about anything. girls have it more strict than us guys. girls cant wear spaghetti straps or tank tops. basically anything that shows off the shoulders. their belly cant show either. thats it. no obscene shirts but thats obvious. we can also wear hats. im sorry, i cant imagine doing that, especially me being in high school, that would drive me crazy. the only good thing i can see coming from this is no one can tell who is rich or poor. but honestly i never saw that as a problem at high school, but that may be because i was the one always wearing gap, abercrombie and banana republic.

iJon

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What does the school offer that makes you pay to go there? If you don't like it and you're choosing to go and pay them, then it sounds like you need to find something else.

D

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is there a lower amount of violence at your school? In my mind, it seems that the discipline would make for a better leaning environment. Your school sounds more like it was when I attended elementary school. The teachers were strict and we were well manered for the most part!

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the dress code/points don't bother me as much as a private (ie, expensive) school with no facilities as you mentioned.... assuming what you want to do with yourself (at least now) is mac/graphics/video related, you aren't going to get much out of that place, at least not enough that's worth the price i'd say.

i went to catholic schools all of my k-12 years (except 2 years in korea) and i was getting religion and smaller classes for the money... which i guess was worth it to my parents. however, i didn't have much access to graphics... which i would have liked. and our ap classes were all of about 3-4... in other words, the fact that the school didn't get tax dollars funding it was not made up by the couple thousand a year price tag...

is your school a prep school that costs like 8+ thousand a year? or more in the line of 1-4 thousand a year?

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I go to a public high school, and we have a similar dress code to iJon's school. Girls can't wear spaghetti straps. Guys can't wear tank tops. No alcohol or drug related shirts. It's a pretty simple code, and most people follow it.

I don't really think I would mind if we had to wear khakis and a collared shirt though.

MetallicPenguin, do your parents know that you don't like this school? I'm sure they would much rather have their money go to a school that you like, instead.

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: My School

Dude, I don't know why you're complaining. What if you went into a high powered business meeting with your shirt accidently untucked from your bathroom trip just previously?

I mean, come on. They're trying to give you some discipline, some sophistication. Do you have an art program at school? I bet you do. So ask about some intro to design stuff. Design isn't just about computers and if we start training kids in high school to be photoshop junkies right away, then the ad industry is in big trouble.

When I was in high school, we had to wear ties. We had to have shirts tucked in. We had to hair hair that was a certain length. We had a ramshackle art department, but you know what? We had a GREAT art teacher who taught me more about design than Photoshop or a bunch of Macs ever taught me.

So check yourself in the bathroom before you leave, read abotu design before plunking away at a Mac and making ugly ad layouts and you'll see how much of a better, more disciplined, prepared for college adult you'll be. ;)

m

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i recommend you stay with the school. sure it has sucky dress code but the learning is probably much greater than many public schools. i went to private school for about 8 years and my test scores were always higher during those times. you have more attantion towards you because of it being a smaller class. i enjoy public school very much, but private was always better. all technical stuff i teach myself at my job. just stick it out and realize the real reason your at school.

iJon

10. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I mean, I'm not going to leave, but I'm going to try hard to get them to lay off a little, maybe try to get them to get a couple of Macs or something. I'm mostly complaining because last year it was three points for Saturday work, and like 10 points for in-school suspension, plus the points go back to zero every quarter, but they just decided to make it like 5 times harder on us for no reason.

Yeah but they wouldn't make you go outside and pick up trash and stuff for 3 hours.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

But they won't give you the contract, which is WORSE in many ways.

A little character building punishment never hurt before. I'd much rather pick up trash and learn some decency and maturity and classiness than lose a big client. :)

You're a young one. You've got a lot to learn.

12. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know but I'm a paranoid perfectionist, and I don't like to do things because people force me to, I like being unique, not programmed by someone, okay let's drop this, I'm babbling and discombobulating myself.

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

So am I my friend, and I don't like doing things because someone else tells me, but you know what? You sometimes gotta play the game. There's better ways to subvert than throurgh incorrigibility. ;)

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i have to agree with some other people. picking up trash for doing anything wrong is just plain stupid. if they told me to pick up trash i would tell them to kiss my a** and walk back into class.

iJon

15. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well I'll live I happen to be a straight A student who never gets in trouble, but if it becomes a case where everyone is in in-school suspension for half the year the school will see it.

PS: The point system gets twice as bad when I go into high-school. Oh man....

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Shows how spoiled American kids are.....

17. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Then you get expelled.;)

18. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Rightly so. You have to understand that you're there to do a job, and act in a manner that prepares you for the world.

You need to show a little respect for the people who teach you, etc etc etc.

I know it's hard to understand now. But man, I got caught smoking cigs at high school once. I wasn't even on the property (was at a coffeehouse down the street after school)

My school has a policy that "you're a representative of the school and what it stands for" at all times. I knew this upfront. And I got busted.

My punishment? The Prefect of Discipline (an ex marine) made me smoke a cigarette while he held a bucket up to my face, trapping all the smoke, getting it in my eyes, etc.

Looking back, I respect that they did that. Immensely

19. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see how schools are allowed to do that. But if it taught you, I can't argue.

20. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

What's wrong with it? You go to a private school, your mom and dad and you know the consequences for your actions, that rules will be written and revised, and that if you don't like it, leave.

So suck it up and be a man. :) If you think this is bad, wait until you get your first real job

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: My School

maybe you should talk to your parents about allowing you to go to a public school; I have never heard of a public school with such a demonic dress code/point system like that of your school.

22. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is: I like my school, just not the people who run it and their rules; although the teachers are usually nice, I just mean the rules that the people at the top make. But there aren't many schools around here.

But I'll be fine with it, I was just wondering if anyone else's school was like this.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

no; because the vast majority do not go to schools such as yours. We have many more probs in public school...

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

BUT your school's rules are inherently tied to the whole academic experience. and it seems like you won't be happy with these new rules, inconsequential as they may be.

So you'll have to suck it up and be man. I guarantee my school was MUCH "worse" than yours. Be thankful you live in an age where schools coddle kids like you so as not to be sued by their fanatical parents, because juniors doesn't wanna play by the rules.

25. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I'll remember that.:)

Edit: Well I still think since my parents are paying $12,000+ (Roughly $36,000 a year because I have 2 brothers), my parents and I should at least have a say in what happens.