My science teacher was killed lastnight...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Plymouthbreezer, May 13, 2005.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

...In a motorcycle accident.

In truth, he wasn't my teacher anymore - I had him in 7th grade. He was driving his bike home from school yesterday when a lady in a car crossed the road and him him head on.

Last night we had a concert at my school (also, a note to help you clarify; I go to the “high school” which is grades 9-12. The “middle school” is 7-8. Both buildings, while separate, are actually connected physically, so they are within walking range. And since the two schools work together on a lot of stuff, everyone kinda knows everyone between the grades...) The chorus director (a music teacher at my high school, who's wife works at the middle school next-door) was informed my an assistant principal that Mr. Katz (who worked at the middle school), a close friend of his was killed. He didn't tell anyone who this close friend was, but he told us someone had died as he was in tears just before the performance. The last song we sang was "Into the West" from Lord of the Rings, a sad song indeed. The events of the night only made it harder on everyone as it was dedicated to two students who died last year from the high school (was was killed in a crash one block from the school, the other killed himself). At the end of the concert, after being saddened by seeing our teacher so sad and upset, as well as thinking of those students who had died, are told by an assistant principal of the high school that Mr. Katz was killed in a crash.

You'd be amazed at the varied reaction from everyone. Some burst into tears, some just didn't believe it, others, like me, were just speechless. This guy, a great guy, who I has talked to last week, was now dead. My god. I ran down the hall of the school to his classroom door. It was back in the hall, but the lights in the room were on. I lost it there.

The administration of the middle school was in the main office. As I rounded the door, one of the assistant principals saw me. She was crying too. We (me, and the principal, and two or three teachers) sat in the office crying... And then my mom came to pick me up.

How terrible it is. Mr. Katz was the fun, practical joker of the school. He did rocket club, disected frogs, and even had a model skeleton that he sometimes pretended to make talk. So many people will terribly miss him... And it still hasn't even really set in. I just talked to him two weeks ago. He was telling me about his role in the upcoming spring middle school musical. He told me to come by his room more often and how much he missed my old class. How I wish now I went to see that musical... :(

Any who, I just felt the need to get some of it off my chest. Today was a very rough day at school.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That sucks. Only the good die young it seems.

3. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yep. Although he wasn't too "young," at 51. Still a shame and a terrible loss. :(

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, we are considered middle aged. ;) The school that I attended also had a combined Junior and High School that was physically connected, but students were separate.

That is very sad, sounds like he was a great guy. Imagine that this will be on WCVB this evening. My prayers go out to his family, friends, you, and all at your school.

You are correct talking about something like this is very helpful. Hopefully you are able to talk with your parents, teachers, and classmates. I'm sure that it will be a comfort to everyone. Will there be a memorial at your school?

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Sorry to hear that, that's so sad :( My condolences go out to you and all who knew him.

6. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, I duno if WCVB or any of the other stations had anything on it, but here's the story from the T&G:

As of now, no one knows what the plans are. I'm sure we'll be doing something next week. He was jewish, so I know the traditions are a bit different from what I'm use to.

I still haven't been able to really focus on anything much other then this since last night... Once again, thanks everyone for your condolences.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That sucks :( I'm sorry.

Sounds familiar. Just a few weeks ago I was at my old middle school (hadn't been there in so many years...lol) and found out that my favorite 8th grade teacher, the one who literally had the bullies kicked out of the classroom when people were picked on (including me), did the cool physics experiments, always joked about opening his own coffee shop and putting Starbucks out of business, and had just retired two years ago, had died of a heart attack. Great guy. It was really a shocker.

Except that its a lot more recent for you. That's gotta be hard. :(

8. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, it was (and still) is a real shock. Whenever anyone dies like this from something so sudden, you are taken off guard. It's one thing when someone's sick for a while, and you can prepare yourself somewhat for what's coming, but this is just like... "ouch..."

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I am Jewish and just attended the funeral of someone close to me yesterday.

Usually in the Jewish tradition when someone dies the funeral should be held 1-2 days later. Although if the person dies on a thursday or friday the funeral can be held on sunday as saturday is the Sabbath.

The funeral should just be a burial, judaism doesn't really believe in cremation but that is of course, everyones own decision.

I'm really sorry about your loss :(

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

So sorry for your loss. I would understand how you feel. I lost my physics teacher to cancer 2 days before christmas 6 years ago. The loss is even stronger when she has left an impact that would changed my life. The regret of my life because I couldn't make it to the hospital visit on the day she died.

Words cannot express my regret for your loss.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is your school providing any counseling sessions? Are any of the students meeting at the school or crash site?

I hope that you are finding comfort with your fellow classmates. My prayers are with you.