My search for the best macbook pro protection ever!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPP, Jan 22, 2007.

1. JPP macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007

I recently posted a query on buying a macbook pro and the replies I got were so helpful that I thought I’d try and post my own bit of advice as I found finding the right bag/protection for my macbook pro REALLY difficult.

I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase – a new 15.4” macbook pro 2.16Ghz. It’s my first Mac purchase (the ipod halo effect worked for me!) And it is just an absolute joy to use. I haven’t has any issues with it and love the build quality, the tactile nature of the design and the OS X is just so wonderful to use and an absolute treasure compared to windows.

But I digress. My major issue has been to find a sleeve and a bag for my lovely new macbook pro. Now, I might be a bit anal about my new buy (aren’t we all when we first get something) and I have been looking for a product that offers the best protection without compromise.

I wanted a bag to carry it around in but also a sleeve or shell to offer scratch protection and also to cocoon it when not in the bag. But could I find a product that fit my seriously fussy requirements? I thought not.

The bag was pretty easy: I ordered a Booq Folee system. I love the bag (great design, loads of pockets, the XL size allows me to carry a wireless keyboard and allows room for a sleeve to go around my macbook pro as well) but the Vyper sleeve that came with the system was appalling. Flimsy, poorly made, foam only a mm or so thick and worse of all – the zips come into direct contact with the sides of the macbook pro so will undoubtedly scratch if one were to do them up – I didn’t even have the courage to do that lest they did indeed scratch it.
    Customer service at Booq leaves a lot to be desired too – the Eurpoean office completely screwed up my order and so I ordered from the American site. When I emailed them to point out that the zip of the Vyper clearly comes into contact with the macbook and I wanted to return it they said I couldn’t despite their site offering a 100% guarantee. When I complained I was told that because I bought the system I couldn’t return individual items of it. I said I would be happy to return the Vyper and Anconda (the Anaconda’s crap as well) and would be happy to have a refund of the reduced price I got as buying them as part of the system. I was told they couldn’t do this either – so I asked to return the whole thing as I was annoyed that

a) their site was misleading about the fit of the macbook in the Vyper
    b) their site offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee - so what happnened to it?

I was then told I couldn’t return the whole system either! Not good. So I have a Vyper and Anconda if anyone wants them. They are still in their packaging – even the logos retain their little protective strips etc etc

Anyway, I digress even further – my search for a sleeve continues…

I thought the Tucano second skin microfiber might make a nice alternative. So off I schlep to the apple store to buy one. Get it home and all looks good. The zip opening is nice and wide so is easier to get the macbook in without scratching and it has a nice fat lip to stop it scratching when you zip it up. But what’s this inside? What’s with the big fat piping running across the middle of the sleeve??? That can’t be good. Why’d they do that??? Stands to reason that it’ll rub dead in the middle of my macbook (friction and all that.) Do a google search and sure enough – people have reported problems with the piping marking their macbooks. I am not taking the risk – back it goes to the apple store (glad I bought it from them because I get a no quibble refund)

Whilst getting my refund I get two incase products – one a sleeve and the other a newly released little bag/sleeve. Both seem rather nifty. One is the neoprene version and the other a nifty canvas bag with a nice furry lining. It has handles too so will not only fit round the macbook pro but also there’ll be handles foe easy lifting out of the Booq “womb” bag. (See how anal I’m becoming?!)
    Get them home to decide which of the two I want to keep – the incase sleeve or bag – undo the zips, bring my macbook pro to my knees ready to slide in and boom! The opening’s just not big enough for me. The Tucano’s was generous – the incase is just too small. The smaller opening means a greater chance of that dreaded zip scratching my macbook and I’m not going to risk that. If I scatch it I want to be the one doing the scarching with my own carelessness – not because of a product I buy to prevent that very thing from happening.

So I think maybe I should just opt for a Brenthaven with it’s core system But have you tried getting a macbook pro into the core system?! I did. Once. It was so tight I thought I was going to break the bloody book. So no go there either.

I think I’ll try something more esoteric. I only want a sleeve that will protect against scratches after all. So I try some nice cotton.microfiber wrappers that seem the perfect solution to my woes. They arrive in the post and I am hoping that my quest is at an end. It looks good as I unwrap it – not very protective and no foam or padding but nice nevertheless. Shame then that it doesn’t actually fit the macbook pro and is so tight that I can’t actually get it on all the way over. Back it goes…

By this time I’m going a bit potty and think there’s no product out there that could match my needs without a serious compromise. And then I come upon what I think will prove to be my saviour – the very finest sleeve money can buy. Great design, thick protective foam, super soft lining, zips out of harms way – everything I’ve been wanting.

And you know what? It’s brilliant. It really IS the best sleeve money can buy. It’s the Axio hardsleeve and it’s the answer to my macbook pro dreams. It looks brilliant, the foam is generous and fits the macbook pro like a glove, the zips are a bit tricky to do up but are far enough away from the sides of the macbook that you won’t scratch it as you try to do them up or undo them, it’s a hardshell so offers good protection and it all fits in my Booq bag too. It’s a bit more expensive than the other sleeves but it’s the best I’ve seen or tried and I’ve been searching and trying loads!

So to all those who are looking for the best sleeve you can buy – I highly recommend you buy yourself an axio hardsleeve. It’s simply brilliant.

I need to go and lie down…
  2. DA-Steve macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2007
    Adelaide Australia
    nice write up :)

i use this with my 17: MBP

the book fits reasonably snug but there is a little bit too much room in there for my liking.. the MBP kind of sits on a diagonal.. so im thinking of getting another sleeve to fill the gap
  3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm using the Incase sleeve/nifty canvas bag with the nice furry lining and handles you mentioned above. It is small and light and was made for the 13" MacBook which fits into it perfectly. It also comes with a removable shoulder strap and a small pocket for a PS or small mouse. I've been very happy with it. It is also availble for the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro.

Amazon has it for $39.99

It looks kinda big in the picutre on Amazon, but it is rather light and compact.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    It's impossible to be disappointed with these. I have a MacBook.

There's piping that runs along the side though, but it never touches the MacBook when it's zipped up and closed because there's a thick foamy flap that runs along the side that will protect your MacBook if you dropped it while in the sleeve. The piping is there to prevent your computer from hitting the ground because the gap that appears underneath the flap can get large.

But anyway, it's perfect.
  5. popelife macrumors member

Nov 3, 2006
    JPP, can you tell me, what are the outer dimensions of the Hardsleeve when it's all buttoned up with your MBP inside?

In particular, how thick does the whole thing end up?

I'm in much the same boat as you were (brand new MBP 15 in need of travel protection). However, I'm torn between the Axio and the "new" Crumpler School Hymn, which is half the price. I haven't actually laid eyes on either.

In some circumstances I'll need the package to be as thin as poss. At other times I'll need the most protection possible. May end up having to buy both!

(Has anyone actually managed to get hold of the new School Hymn that supposedly fits the MBP?)
  6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    If you want serious protection, forget those pansy, weak, non-bomb proof cases.

I have one of these:

not only is it DAMN secure (and lockable), it fully looks like I'm walking around with guns, drugs, hard currency, or all of the above.

heh. on a serious note, it's a brilliant case.

I also have an STM 'glove' style sleeve :)
  7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    ROFL.... i'm cracking up!

DH wants to know - yes, the same one that would FLIP if i put a computer on the wall in the kitchen for him to read the calender on ROFL - if you use a handcuff with it. THinks that would be cool :cool:
  8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

the "best" one is the most expensive one....:(
  9. Big Bad D macrumors member

Jan 3, 2007
    I use a Brenthaven Pro 17 backpack for my Macbook Pro. It's not cheap but offers a good level of protection, is really comfortable to carry and has lots of room for accessories and personal gear. It's great for work and also travel. Unlike JPP, I have experienced no problem getting my Macbook Pro in or out of the protective core system.
  10. 4np macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    The Netherlands
  11. popelife macrumors member

Nov 3, 2006
    Okay, I had to get something. So I went for it and got an Axio Hardsleeve. I've got to carry my MBP to a gig next week, in a case with a bunch of other equipment.

I have to agree, it's great. The fit is perfect. You won't get better protection for an MBP. It's in another league compared to anything else I've seen. For casual carrying about it might be over the top, but if there's a chance it'll get thumped by anything else (if you have to pack it in a suitcase and put it on a plane for instance), the Axio is definitely the thing to get.

I also got myself a Slingbag to go with it, which is an over-the-shoulder bag specially designed to take the Hardsleeve, along with other accessories and bits and pieces.

The Slingbag is good if you want an easy-to-carry package to take your MBP, PSU and other odds and sods, but still with the bullet-proof protection of the Hardsleeve. No need to be concerned about your computer getting bent when you end up in a crush on London's tube.

What you won't get is a bag that you can get your computer in and out of in a rush! There's too much to undo (open bag, get hardsleeve out, open hardsleeve, get computer out, put hardsleeve back in bag....). The only other issue is that my particular bag is a rather precise fit at the top, making it less than easy to zip up the main compartment. But 90% of the time, you don't need to zip it up... just secure the main flap over the top. Your computer isn't going anywhere and is well protected by the hardsleeve inside.

Altogether, expensive, but really well made and unmatched levels of protection, which is what I needed. Very pleased.

Another thumbs up for the Hardsleeve, definitely.

(Edited because I just tried the bag again, and discovered it wasn't as tight a fit as I initially thought. Actually easy to get the hardsleeve in and out... as long as you're not zipping the top of the bag up every time. Also added links. God, anyone would think I worked for Axio. I don't. It's just that I'm not easily impressed by these things, so when I am, it seems worth telling people.)
  12. Americanloti macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
  13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area

excellent products. The sleeve is a bit bulkier than I'd like, but I guess that's just extra protection, and it's not like it's TOO bulky. Also, you can choose what features you'd like as far as straps, flaps, and the like. Check it out!
  14. JPP thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm sorry I didn't reply with the measurements - have only just seen the further replies to the post so my sincere apologies.

But am really glad you like the axio. I love mine and think it's the bees knees as they say) It's the best accessory I have ever purchased by far.

PS. I don't work for axio either!
  15. benjobe2513 macrumors member

Sep 10, 2008
    Humboldt County, California
    Speck Cover fits into Axio Shell?

Does anybody know if the 17" Macbook Pro will fit into the Axio Hardsleeve if it's wearing the Speck protective coverings? The Speck protective coverings add a few millimeters to the size of the Macbook Pro. How tight is the fit inside the Axio Hardsleeve?