My Secure Network have shared playlists!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdt562, Sep 23, 2006.

1. mdt562 macrumors newbie

Over the past day (when i upgraded to iTunes 7 ) I have been noticing some weird activity on my shared music playlist on iTunes 7. I have my router log and its protected by a WEP password and it shows that im the only one on it. I also cant access the other peoples music because they have their firewall activated ( not that i want to ) only because i think its some flaw. But still its freaking my out. Ill attach a pic. This is driving me CRAZY! only because they are on my secured network :confused:

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you want the shared playlists to go away, just tell iTunes not to look for shared music. Simple as that.

As for the firewall, if the iTunes sharing passthrough option is enabled on both computers, iTunes Music Sharing traffic will still get through. This is by design.

3. mdt562 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i mean is the ip in that picture is mine and my router shows only 1 wireless user on (me). But my itunes indicate there is an other wireless user on my secured network.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is there anyone in the same room/house as you? If so, they're probably on your internal network but not using the wireless function.

5. mdt562 thread starter macrumors newbie

there are no wires connected to my router, i have 3 computers in my house and there were all off, all macs.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm, strange. Which security method(s) did you use?

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You might want to switch to WPA just in case, unless you use something that doesn't support it.

8. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Could this possibly be because you have other avenues open (like Internet sharing via bluetooth, IR, or something)? Perhaps you are sitting on multiple networks and you don't know it.

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Try changing your WEP password and restart your router. Then go into itunes and see if the hp_administrator shared music folder comes up again. If it doesn't, it means that someone was wirelessly accessing your network. You can keep him off by enabling MAC (Media Access Control) filtering in your router's settings so that it only lets the MAC addresses of your home computers on the network.

10. mdt562 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, i guess this guy brought along hes to friends to get free wifi. Although when i try to connect to their playlist ( to see if they are acutally connected to my network ) i get some firewall error and then the shared playlist disappears. :confused: I started getting these wierd things it upgrading to iT7. All my computers are wireless and the 2 iMacs do not see the playlist just my Powerbook.

11. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Some "Grandma" is hijacking your wireless network? Dude, you must have pretty lax security standards. :D

12. mdt562 thread starter macrumors newbie

That hurts man, hurts bad. :) Anyways it turns out that it wasnt my router security. When i unplug'd my modem the insanity went away. But how are they getting my ip to share their songs? Great now its my whole ISP!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What ports do you have open on your router? Close any that you aren't using (like the one for iTunes sharing, 3689).

14. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Actually, it's worse that I apparently can't read. Your screenshot said Granroth and not Grandma. Talk about foot-in-mouth, head-up-ass, etc, etc. :eek: