My shift key just fell off..... (17" Powerbook)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joshuajestelle, May 9, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I've been thoroughly enjoying my new 17" Powerbook, but the stragest thing happened today.

After using it for almost a month now, I went and pressed the shift key, and it popped off. It doesn't seem damaged. I just seemed to fall off.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it back on.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this or where I should look for information on this?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors newbie

Our school has 12" iBook labs and our teachers always complain about how slow they are and how the keys always fall off. On the iBook, if you place it on the small loop and allign the hole corectly, it just pops on with a small bit of force.

4. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

how do things look under the keys? i am interested in how much of the backlighting you can see with the keys off.

5. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

heh, funny you should mention the backlighting, i've just installed a couple of 17s in the office and everyone is going nuts over the backlighting. so easy to please us apple people eh?

you can probably see quite a bit of light, there's a fair bit of light eminating from between the keys too.

6. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

that's so nice. i have only seen a few 17"ers, but never when it was dark. maybe someday i can actually see what it looks out.

7. macrumors newbie

The keys do just push back on - you may have to twist it (very slightly and carefully) to get it to click back in. But if it happens repeatedly one of the shoehorn shaped bits of plastic may be slightly cracked. My 'm' was and kept dropping off. Taking it back to the shop was not an option so I put a drop of superglue on the cracked area and pushed it back on to the keyboard. Not had any problems with it since - this fix worked perfectly for me.

8. macrumors member

bad luck

its just bad luck pal sorry to hear that.
    try to pop it back in if not u know what to do send it to apple :)

they still are the best...
    noone can blame apple for a dropping button.

9. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

They do pop back on quite easily.

However I do have a broken '9' key on my iBook. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Chris

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to pop it back on. I just had to give it a little more force that I had initially tried.

It was neat to look at the backlighting with the key off. It appears that the entire area behind the keyboard lights up, and then the light just shines through the keys, and around the edges. Cool.

Josh

11. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Dufus! Imagine not knowing how hard to push. :p

Glad to hear you got things back to 'normal'!

Chris

12. Guest

caveman_uk

I broke the 'R' off of my iBook. Mine was still under warranty so I rang Apple Support and they sent me a new keyboard. Are you under warranty or have Applecare?

13. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Sadly neither apply. :(

Applecare is so expensive... And I'm so skint.

14. macrumors 65816

yzedf

15. macrumors newbie

Not Alone

You are not alone on this issue. I have had my 17" for 2 weeks, and the "N" key constantly falls off, to the point where I can get to fall off on command. As soon as I have some time I will be going to the Apple Store to ask for a new keyboard (or should I ask them over the phone)? Either way, it's the only flaw so far in this beautiful piece of machinery.

16. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: Not Alone

Seen as you have a new Mac, and assuming you have a proof of purchase then I would nip into the local Apple Store (if you have one) and ask them to replace/advise on the best course of action. Failing that, call Apple up... ;)

Lots of ifs n' buts there... Hrm.