My Shizzle's gone Fa-Sizzle???

Discussion in 'Community' started by jrv3034, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Ok. I need help. I ust saw the Old Navy commercial with Fran "The Nanny" Drescher for what seems like the 50th time, and at the end of the commercial she says:

"My shizzle's gone fa-sizzle!"

What does that mean? What is a shizzle? Am I just stupid? I've also heard similar terminology used in the previews for the movie "Head of State" with Chris Rock. I'm very curious as to what this means. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

It was a term invented by black rappers. Shizzle can mean sh*t, or sure. Dizzle is usually dog.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I hate that commercial. I find it so incredibly annoying. Because of their commercials, I refuse to shop at Old Navy stores.

MacAztec seems to have answered your question correctly though.

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

My age is starting to show.

What the heck is *bling* *bling*

Closest I can figure its $$$ or expensive crap from the context I've seen it used in.

But that can't be right since every time I've walked into the local Apple store the reg is beeping not blinging ;)

Yes? No?

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Having grown up in St. Louis (we got Nelly yo!), I can vouch that shizzle does in fact refer to fecal matter.

6. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just recently found out that it means expensive jewelry (gold, diamonds, lots of shiny stuff).

Yeah, tell me about it;)

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Like the scourge that is white people that act black, or asians that act black, and vice versa, Old Navy is nothing but the pimple on the face of society.

8. Dros macrumors 6502

Take a word. Remove all but first sound. Replace rest with 'izzle'. Guess at meaning from context (Gizzle at mizzle from co-izzle)... see, pretty easy!

I remember playing even more convoluted word games as a child. And yet, I have not become a famous rapper. It boggles the mind! :eek:

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

#1: Fran is annoying
    #2: That whole fa-shizzle my whatever line seems to be pretty much making fun of the one black guy (and by extension, black culture) in the commercial. This isn't a question of white people trying to act black, but rather a question of the upper-middle class white populous finding black culture an object of mockery. It offended me, not that I'm even black.

11. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMG that was funnny!:D :eek:

So I'm supposed to guess what the words mean judging only by the context? Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to this?

And what does fa-sizzle mean?

I much prefer acronyms: FUBAR, SNAFU, SCUBA, etc. :)

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Fine i'll be forced to answer my own question, because I have a feeling no one will say anything about it unless I do....

And the answer is....

Fo' Drizzle!

:D:D:D:D:p

scem0

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

The whole fa-shizzle thing imo is not meant to be mocking of black "culture". I think it is in actuality little more than a desperate outstretched hand for some urban cash -- think McDonalds and their urban burger angst commercials. It aint working for them, and I emphatically doubt it is working for Old Navy.

And another thing.

Old Navy, is not an upper-middle class store by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps Abercrombie, where a pair of boxers go for 30 dollars, but not Old Navy, in which even homeless persons neglect to partake in their "deals".

Puhleez. Old Navy is little more than a conglomerate of old white men [possibly from the navy] that have no idea what marketing is, nor what demographics mean.

Which is why they one got an old, uncool, unpopular, and extremely annoying one-hit-wonder of an actress to star in their tv spots, and two because they said fa-sizzle.

And they could be white too.

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I hate that commercial. I wish that instead of that annoying woman plugging in switches into a fake light up switch board, that the annoying woman was plugging detonators into a box full of C4. Then we would never have to hear from her ass again and we can all get on with our lives without Old Navy or Fran Drescher's voice.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yes, I suppose c4 would be quite nice in this case.

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I disagree ... i'm 19 and i don't know what the hell there talking about when the say garbage like that.

Bling, isn't even a real word .... what your not satisfied with the language? you've used every adjective in the english dictionary? - this has got to end, stop making words up and use the thousands that already exist.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

well, in the sense that language is important to express both specific shades of meaning and a certain cultural heritage & perspective, there's nothing THAT wrong with making up words for SPOKEN use.

Language, often, should be framed within culture. That's why idioms exist to express ideas, that's why particular ideas are expressed by many words in some cultures and just a few or none at all in others, and that's why new words are created. Language is alive and we shouldn't stifle its evolution.

New words like this appear every now and then...They're usually fads, signs of the times, contemporary but temporary idioms of popular culture.

Let them be, just don't use them in a term paper.

18. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

this ad signals the end of the "_-izzle" movement in rap vocabulary. a moment of silence seems appropriate.

19. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

agreed ... they are a symbol of the times and a definition of popular culture

i hate the idea that when people are going to remember *my* time they are going to think "Fishizzzle my nizzzle i gots some bling bling"

20. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

scem0... hats off, man. that one's had me chuckling at my desk for 10 minutes now.

21. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Fran is an annoying idiot who can't get better work, and what she does not use ther terminology correct.
    The izzle so ofter heard today basically stemmed from "fo shizzle my nizzle and for all the white people here that don't know, you really are not "allowed" to say "fo shizzle my nizzle," I'll break it down for you,
    Fo Shizzle My Nizzle
    Fo Sho My *****
    For Sure My ******.

oh and shizzle can also mean ****, like oh ****!

edit: I forgot you cant type ****: fecal matter.

22. medea macrumors 68030

medea

And actually bling bling is the sound your ice makes when it hits, ice being your jewlery (platinum and diamonds.) It has since spread though to mean basically anything expensive or even cool.

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll admit Fran is annoying...esp when she laughs. :rolleyes:

But, she did look pretty good in the first Old Navy commercial she did. ;)

24. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Thanks for the lesson in popular linguistics.

what kills me is that if i had coined "bling bling" as a term referring to expensive jewelry, people would look at me like an idiot. However, because it was coined by someone with diamonds incrusted into his teeth it's "cool".

this is right up there with undone work boots, jeans tucked into the back of the sock, and oversized coats.

If i have my "urban lingo" down right, i believe the term is - "Wanksta wear"

25. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Bling Bling is a representation to a sound that a sparkle would make. Remember those gum commercials (i think it was gum) where the person smiled and the white sparkle flashed across thier teeth? Well, the sparkle had a sound effect and it was 'bling'. So anything that is bling bling means it's sparklin' like a mutha ****a.

As for the fa-shizzle my fizzle-drizzle, whatever, it a banana-fo-fana type dilect that Snoop Dogg has coined. Like 'drown' would be 'dri-zown'. Just a funky way of pronouncing the word. 'Fa-sizzle' is somehow to mean 'for sure' not sure the navy commercial, it doesn't sound right and I think it's more a play then anything. Not that I think it;s making fun of the black man as much as it is a play on the current fad to speak that play on words.