My Shuffle died today

Discussion in 'iPod' started by willstay, Nov 11, 2005.

1. willstay macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2005
    My 1G Shuffle died today afternoon (on third day of use). It was working perfectly with latested Update (2005-10-12) and latest iTunes. I was trying to copy file of around 70 MB straight from Windows Explorer - suddenly ZZzzZZ##**, Explorer hung and my Shuffle died.

Updater no longer detects it. iTunes no longer detects it. It shows as drive in Windows but nothing is possible. I have tried all the steps mentioned in Apple (restarting iPosService.exe, reinstalling iTunes completely) but to no avail.

Green and Orange led burns in succession telling me there is error. When I have it plugged, it is charging. That's all it does.

I've tried with fresh installation of iPod Updates and iTunes on three other PCs but my Shuffle behaves similar.

Good bye to my Shuffle. The sad thing is - it was air shipped by my wife as an anniversary gift. It stayed with me for mere 3 days.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005

It's still under warranty thank goodness. Not all is lost. :)
  3. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
  4. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2004
    Madison, WI
  5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    The way it dies was weird, shows what windows can do.....

ANyway get it replaced under warranty,

6. willstay thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2005
    I just talked to my wife and am shipping it back to her so she can check with Apple stores (coz there are no Apple service centers in this place).

Very bad mentality of me :cool: but I will have my colleagues connect their iPods to my PC and find out whether it is due to that faulty USB port or with my particular Shuffle.
  7. denial macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2005
    It's hard to be without a shuffle/ipod for a period of time. Apple should replace this speedily though.
  8. willstay thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2005
    I told her if my poor Shuffle refuses to reincarnate and if Apple is ready to replace it with new piece, she may take Nano adding extra cost that is required. I have been holding myself check Nano in local stores coz thats' more contagious than Bird Flu :eek:. Prevention is better than cure. I don't want to test it in my hands before I have enough to buy it right off.
  9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    a moment of silence for the shuffle....i know it died a while now but work with me here...

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    You know what, at work we were testing a computer with faulty USB ports and my flash drive went in there after a fresh install of XP. Worked fine then the person doing the testing pulled it out without ejecting, inserted his, detected and pulled out again. Mine went back in and the USB ports wouldn't pick it up, or anything after that. Took it home as usual and a few days later plugged it into my USB port and it won't pick it up either.

I hate it when something like this happens. If it was only mounting, (as the shuffle here is), all would be okay. The lesson, don't plug in any more iPods yet just in case it throws the USB port and the iPods out.
  11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    sad... i take my shuffle in the sauna with me at the gym, sweat all over it when i run, basically treat it like crap, etc. and it still works great :D
  12. xy14 macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2004
    Thru Applecare, just go to and find a link for sending a dispatch. It will take about three days to ship, then you just need to send yours back, or you will be charged $99 (or $129, depending on the model.) Afterwards, apple will send you an invoice for $0.00. Then you can laugh because everything's good again.