My Sig, and Why I'm Frustrated

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cslewis, Mar 31, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I'm getting rather annoyed by the auto-signature-length control panel feature in our personal settings. I understand the need to keep signatures concise, but I was wondering if there was something wrong with the sig-length-thinger.

I wanted my original sig to look like this:

Harassed by the prophets of woe, scared by the hundred-headed demon of propaganda, the good American conceives a dread of every sort of modernism. And in Tennessee, he is at the moment taking it out of an English avatar of the Anti-Christ - Charles Darwin.

That was obviously way too long, so after a lot of horrible cutting I arrived at this:

Harassed by prophets of woe, good Americans harbor fear of any bit of modernism. And in Tennessee, they’ve attacked an English avatar of the Antichrist: Mr. Darwin

According to Microsoft Word's word count feature, my 'new' sig is 137 visible characters. Yet when I try to set it as my signature, I get an error telling me that it's too long. What gives? :p

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You are correct Eric - thanks for providing the link to the thread. Them's the rules, like 'em or not...

4. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Oh, Shard, I wasn't complaining about the rules. They're there for a good reason. I was just curious if it was just me being stupid... and it was. :eek:

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh, and I wasn't saying you were, I was just making a general statement actually. ;) :)

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Were you confused about the "visible characters"? At first I didn't know if spaces were included or not; on one hand they are visible, but on the other hand they aren't. :eek: :confused:

I edited my original post something like 4 times before I got the explanation right. :eek:

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since some people were confused by the wording of the signature-length rule, the phrasing has been changed in the Announcement, the Forum Rules, and the User CP signature-change limit-exceeded error message.

They all now mention explicitly that spaces are counted against the 150-character limit.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Appleworks' word count includes spaces as characters.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

What's "Appleworks"?

:D:D:D:D

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

It's a great feature when I have to write 500 words or more papers :D