My sister and I are going to have to share Itunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MFoogle, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MFoogle macrumors newbie

I already have an Ipod and my sister is probably going to get one for her birthday/Christmas, and we will have to share a computer which means we will have to share Itunes. Is there any way to put a code on the Itunes so that when you activate it, it will only open up to your itunes, or anything like that?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One simple solution is to set up separate playlists for you and your sister – when you're listening to music on your computer you can play the songs only in your playlist, and you can set it up so your iPod will only load and play the songs you've selected for your library. This is the system me and my girlfriend use and it works fine – we each have our own music on our own iPods, and I can be sure I won't accidentally end up listening to any of her stuff. ;)

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you have individual accounts on the computer? If so, you will just use the system as you have been. If you share a single-user account, then there will only be one version of iTunes. Each iPod can be individually synched to the iTunes library, however you like.

And she won't end up with any New Kids on the Block ;)

4. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Why not set up separate user accounts on the machine? That way all your stuff would be separated, not just your tunes.

Edit: right, what gauchogolfer said...

5. MFoogle thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I set up different accounts on my computer? my family has never done that.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

For a mac system preferences, accounts and than on the left it will show qll th3 accounts, hit the little plus arrown and than you will more or less be guided through a setup process. If you plus arrow is gray clcik the lock and type in your familys password.
    For PC:
    Start, contorol panel, user accounts, create a user account. Good luck

7. MFoogle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but the computer that we will have to share is a windows (98 i think...) we have one thats a Mac, but ironically its not the one we use for itunes...

8. phuong macrumors 6502a

no you dont need separated user accounts. it is simpler to set separated sets of playlists for each ipod. and that should be the way it works.

imagine if i have 1 ipod video and 1 ipod nano, and everytime i want to update them, i'll have to login separated user accounts? no way, that's just a pain in the ass.

9. MFoogle thread starter macrumors newbie

eh, well my sister doesnt get on that computer much, and when we're done we have to turn the computer off anyway (unless someone else wants on that computer, which rarely happens) so it wont be too much of a pain.

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

so if i have 5 siblings, i'll make 5 user accounts on my computer? come on!
    all you have to do is mounting the ipod on your computer and pressing the iPod preference button, and then set whatever you want. that set of settings only apply to only that ipod.
    they explain it very clearly on Apple Support
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t2.html

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dur?

Um, yeah. Just move the iTunes Music folder to the shared folder on the same level as your user folders.

Life is MUCH easier when each person has their own account.

12. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

If you hold down the "shift" key while you launch iTunes 7 for Windows, it will ask you which library you want to use. You can set up different iTunes libraries for you and your sister.

You just have to remember to launch the program with the "shift" key pressed. I don't know if there is a command line switch you can use to force iTunes to ask for the library. I'll try and find out. If there is, you could create a shortcut with the extra switch that automatically brought up the library selection dialog.

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's easy just make a few accounts. It's easy to manage and easy to keep files, iTunes libraries seperate.

14. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Fast user switching anyone?

15. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

The OP is on Windows 98

16. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

iTunes only works on Windows 2000 or XP, so if you have iTunes running in your PC, it's one of those two. Either way, 2k/XP support multiple users, so you can setup a different account for your sister.

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

iTunes only works on Windows 2000 and XP, so you have one of those. I suspect it is Windows 2000 (since that looks the most like Windows 98), in which case just go to 'Users and Passwords' in Control Panels to set up a new user account.

18. MFoogle thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, yah, i meant XP (this computer is new so im not used to sayin XP)

19. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

my suggestion will not help much, but it could help in the long run.

transfer all your music to the mac. use iTunes on that mac.

create 2 different accounts.

enjoy the mac. enjoy your music. love each other.