Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I didn't realize headphones weren't universal. How can I verify my next headphones are compatible with my S4? The ones I have can play audio and play/pause, but the volume cannot be controlled from the remote.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
I didn't realize headphones weren't universal. How can I verify my next headphones are compatible with my S4? The ones I have can play audio and play/pause, but the volume cannot be controlled from the remote.

To be honest all the headphones I own will pause and play the music on my note II but not change volume. You are not alone! Are you using Google Music?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
iPhone compatible headphones with volume buttons only work with Apple devices due to one of the rings in the jack being apple-specific. Play/pause is standardized. Not sure of any alternative headphones other than stock samsung ones that can do volume.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
iPhone compatible headphones with volume buttons only work with Apple devices due to one of the rings in the jack being apple-specific. Play/pause is standardized. Not sure of any alternative headphones other than stock samsung ones that can do volume.

Tried my Samsung 'buds on my iPad, neither play/pause and volume work.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Yeah this kind of annoyed me tbh. Makes the remote almost redundant. Given how widespread these types of remotes are you'd think apple and other manufactures would get together and hash out a licencing deal or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.