Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam the Slam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Florida
In the spirit of full disclosure, my tech skills are sub-standard. I want to connect my MacAir to a Vizio smart HDTV. Obviously I need a thunderbolt cable. Is there one that connects directly to my TV ? To what TV input- HDMI or USB? Do I need an adapter? If so, what has been found as a good choice? Apple lists Moshi adapters but I have seen some poor reviews on them. Thanks for your help.

iceman42

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
here you go
aLLreli® 6ft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable | Mini DP to HDMI | Thunderbolt Compatible | Full HD 1080p | 24k Gold Plated Connectors | Video+Audio - White 1.8 Meters 6 feet

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. You can't use a Thunderbolt cable for the purpose.

Example via Amazon.com.

Good call there. I am curious though (for the sake of knowledge and discussion), if one were to have a Thunderbolt dock such as OWC, Elgato or Caldigit etc., they have HDMI out. Would this work?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
would an Apple TV 3 accomplish the same thing? a couple of dollars more, but no cables.
- Depends which sort of thing he intends to put up on his TV. Not all things are created equal in terms of AirPlaying. And AirPlay Mirroring isn't suitable for everything.

Good call there. I am curious though (for the sake of knowledge and discussion), if one were to have a Thunderbolt dock such as OWC, Elgato or Caldigit etc., they have HDMI out. Would this work?
- It definitely would, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.