My son's history text

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Small point, but this stuff drives me crazy. My son asked me for help doing his history homework and asked me the following question straight out of his textbook:
    This is accompanied with this famous picture shown below of the memorial. The inscription reads,
    The problem is, of course, FDR died in April of 1945 and never witnessed the spread of communism in Eastern Europe. That's bad enough, but the quote used to speak to Roosevelt's views on communism is from a speech in 1941 and is not about communism at all but about the Nazi threat. Here is the quote with more of the surrounding context:
    emphasis added

A great speech and very topical, but to the point, I can't believe this text is being used to teach my kid. Stupid errors are one thing, but outright distortion of facts to suit an agenda is beyond the pale. Needless to say, I will complain.

Sorry, for the rant, but I still get outraged by this kind of crap. :mad:

Attached Files:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i guess everybody is re-writing history now, how nice, so we can repeat mistake again and again and again, so human won't feel bored.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

It's nothing new, the history books I was taught in the 70's were biased and in critical areas almost completely false! It scares me to think my class mates might still be believing that b.s.:eek:

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The winners write the history. If Hitler had won we would all be (probably) happy about how great it was to get rid of the Jews. History is a tool for politicians to use as justification.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I disagree, did u see how Japan now re-write their history books?
    its not winners who write history, its governments who write history.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Trying to be somewhat generous, perhaps the point was supposed to be that FDR helped pave the way for a Communist Eastern Europe at Yalta. But "witnessed" is a poor choice of words, there's no doubt about that.

It's bizarre that FDR's quote about fascism is being used as evidence, however. I have to agree, the book is lame.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Didn't Bush one use the term 'new world order!?'(maybe ot, but in twenty years what will history say?)

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

"History is written by the winners." Alex Haley

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that biggest middle-eastern war lead to the establish of united kingdom of arabs, the isreal exile gov in germany and destruction of Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait, Isreal, Turkey, Iraq, Qatar, and UN, etc?
    .......:)

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Textbooks lie all the time. I'd recommend this book if you're interested in seeing what else your son is probably being taught wrong in history class.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

For which those of us from the countries given to Russia can never forgive him.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Obviously, it would have been better to invade the Soviet Union at that point. Roosevelt was such a *****.

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Not to turn this into a discussion of the Yalta conference, but nothing was "given" to Stalin. The Red Army took much of Eastern Europe under its control, just as the US and Britain did in France and Italy, but unless the US and Britain were going to break the wartime alliance that was on the verge of ending the war and decided to declare war on the Soviet Union, nothing would change that fact.

Still, my point isn't the ideological viewpoint of the textbook's author. I don't mind that he has one, but rather I mind that he uses blatant errors of historical fact and distortion of FDR's words to further his viewpoint. This is historical falsification under the guise of teaching history. Certainly not as obvious as removing people from photographs, but it is of the same ilk. When quotations are used, we have a responsibility, scholars especially, to inform the listeners or readers of the context of the quote. To do otherwise and then to distort the words of others for your own purpose is simple dishonesty. It is a lie.

14. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I disagree. The allies were in no position to invade Russia. Only the US could possibly hope to match the Russian war machine, and our armor was certainly not up to the job. I believe it would overextend our resources and we would have faced the same difficulties that ultimately defeated the Germans.

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i feel like some sarcasm may have been missed. i hope so, at least!

16. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Yup-distance and supply lines. Would have been a nightmare.

Back on the thread- Textbooks are usually pretty pathetic. What's important is how you supplement your texts. Unfortunately, there is only so much time in the day, and only so much motivation in the student. May be best to teach a healthy skepticism.

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'd bet my last dollar milolithe was making the same point.

18. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Heh... I was thinking the same thing. That's why I put the little sword in my signature: to remind people that sarcasm exists.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

So how it would it work out at school if you helped your son respond to this question with the documented facts and proper references?

When I was in school, you got the grades for giving the answer the teacher expected. I would hope there are some places out there that are different.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yes, I did mean that sarcastically. The US was in no position to dictate where the USSR could place its ground troops. We could have bombed the hell out of them though, but whether that would have made the world a better place is pretty debatable.

21. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I gave the sources to my son to raise in his class. I know his teacher and know he will be receptive to a discussion about the textbook and is willing to hear different points of view - in fact he encourages it, but he doesn't select the textbooks. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that this text was chosen at the state level. If I find out more, I'll post it.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Faced with this question, I think I'd be tempted to write that FDR almost certainly followed the spread of Communism in Eastern Europe from the afterlife with great interest and concern, and of the need to theorize about his views on this turn of events given the lack of adequate communications between the living and the dead. References to Ouija boards and seances are optional.

23. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

A great book. I really liked the section about Woodrow Wilson and the number of armies that invaded the new U.S.S.R. My mom still hasn't returned it to me, though :( That ho.

24. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

didn't work out so well after WWI, though Pasternak and Omar Sharif did ok...

to be fair, the book is probably referring to eastern Europe in the geographical sense i.e. Russia, the Baltic countries, the Ukraine, etc.

But then, Eastern Europe (with eastern capitalized) is of course a geopolitical term that didn't come into play until after the war had run its course. I'm wondering if it's an editorial slip-up.

Or is it possibly a software (!) issue? I've had spell-check do things like that to me...

25. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

My bad. I misread your intentions with "Roosevelt was such a *****."

And I agree, we could have bombed the hell out of them, but without the ground troops, it would have been impossible. I think East Germany is a good example of the lack of power we had over the Russians at the end of WWII.