my sound output randomly goes to left channel on its own.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucface, Oct 5, 2005.

1. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

i will be listening to music and, for some unknown reason, its onely comming out of the left speaker. i go to system pref and the knob/slider is all the way over. sometimes its onely a little over. it doesnt happen during play. just sometime between when im listening to itunes/movies,ect.
    totaly random. its been happing for as long as i can remember since ive had my tibook.
    anyone else have this prob?

2. khammack macrumors regular

I also have this problem. I've never posted about it though, nor have I found any explanation for why it happens.

-kev

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Hmm--I thought this was fixed. I used to have that problem along time ago, but it went away with some revision of Panther (for me at least).

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

me too, i brought it to apple and they heard other people complaining of it, and i think the next revision of panther it was fixed (for me at least)

5. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

well good for you guys,... what did we get,... the special version? :rolleyes:
    ohh yah, im running 10.4.2

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I used to have that problem in Panther as well, but ever since Tiger I have yet to see it.

Did this PowerBook ship with Tiger installed, or did you do an upgrade from Panther? If you did an upgrade, did you do an Upgrade to Tiger, Archive and Install, or Erase and Install when going to Tiger? The problem may have transfered itself over if you did an upgrade and install... Just speculating.

7. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

yes, i did do an upgrade. i guess that would be it. makes sence.
    so to eliminate i supose i will have to archive, erase, and install from disc?

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

To be absolutely sure, I would do an erase and install. Yes, its more of a pain in the ass because you have to setup everything fresh, but its a guarantee that the problem didn't transfer over. The problem, may not be in the system, but rather a user thing that just stayed in your home folder like it would if you just did an archive and install. See my point? Tiger doesn't take only about 20 minutes max to install and update. I would say depending on how many apps you have to reinstall, about an hour to reinstall/update your apps, and then another 30 minutes or less to restore your information. So you're talking around 2 hours for a full install/restore of apps and info.

DO A BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!!! Back your stuff up to an iPod if you have to, but you will need to back up your home folder. Just like I said, drag your entire home folder to your backup source. That way you know you got your emails, bookmarks, photos, music, documents, etc...