My Speakers Are Catching a Radio Station.. While They're Off!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bobber205, Jun 26, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have a 15 dollar set of speakers that catch the radio.
    Even when the switch is set to "off", as long as they're plugged in, they play some rock station. Sometimes very loud. :eek: It even tries to play the station during when my cd player is trying to put input into it. :rolleyes:

Any ideas why? It's only done this since I've moved to Oregon.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

It's your power source. More than that I don't really know (somebody probably knows the details better than I).

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sometimes when I have my speakers off (while surfing around 2-3am), sites with those advertisements that have sound in them will sometimes softly play from the subwoofer in my speaker setup. I don't know how this works, but it freaks me out sometimes. :eek: :p

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

neat!

disconnect the cables and see if it still happens.

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The OFF switch only turns off either the battery powered amplifier of the speakers, or perhaps just turns off the bass boost. In either case, the speakers are still acting as passive speakers driven by the headphone output.

Picking up a radio station is almost always the result of a break in the cabling or the shielding somewhere in the signal chain - either in the wires to the Mac or inside the speakers. Occasionally, it can happen when the plug is oxidized and is making a poor connection with the headphone jack.

Edit: As above, RF can also leak into the system from the power source if it is poorly shielded inside. Basically, you have a $&%( set of speakers - best bet is to ditch them and get better ones.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I get the fuzz talking when they drive by sometimes.