My Special Call From Apple.......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Finnxeon, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Finnxeon macrumors regular

Finnxeon

So two days ago i was on the apple website, browsing, customizing my dream computer....you know, the usual. When i was done, i saved my custom macbook to the cart, just in case i wanted to buy it at a later date. .......life goes on, the world keeps turning.....blah blah.......

this afternoon the phone rings, and guess what! It was none other than Andy Dibben, from Apple Computer! What? I was caught kind of off guard......A moment of shear terror went through my mind......HAD I BOUGHT THAT SUPER EXPENSIVE OUT OF MY BUDGET MACBOOK WITHOUT REALIZING?!?.....

nope thank god, i hadn't bought it......but andy almost got me to buy it right then and there......he was so nice and cheerful and everything that a salesman should be.....but i told him i was going to wait a while

However, it made me think.....has Andy Dibben been talking people into buying macs all day? or Am I just special?

Anyways, my question is, Does apple usually do this, or is making personal calls to you whenever you make a saved cart something new.......

Either way......it's a pretty good way to sell merchandise

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yup, they do - they talked me through buying my sister's Mac Mini computer, and I fell in love with Apple shortly thereafter....:p

3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've heard of it being done before. If you place a nice computer in your cart and leave it there for a few months you'd be a candidate for a phone call.

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Mine was a crappy Mac Mini (G4 + 512 MB of ram upgrade) and they called me the same day.

5. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

I had the same thing happen about a year ago. I was looking at Mac Minis, and I saved an order online. Next day I got a call from Apple. I knew I found a computer company I could trust, so the next day I went to the local University bookstore and bought a mini.

6. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I left my Macbook + iPod in the cart for months without ordering and I was never called :p

7. monke macrumors 65816

monke

*places a dozen maxed out Mac Pro's in shopping cart and waits for a call from Steve* :D

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yeah, happened when I left a G5 iMac in my shopping basket, someone from Apple phoned up about iMacs. This was late last year and I was ready to buy, but I was also 90% certain there would be an announcement at MWSF so I put it off.

9. Finnxeon thread starter macrumors regular

Finnxeon

i have done the same thing many times before, most of the time with expensive mac pros and macbookpros.......why the call today? lol

It made me feel special anyway! Way to go apple!

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Paris in two weeks.

11. Finnxeon thread starter macrumors regular

Finnxeon

very true.:)

12. Fotograffiti macrumors member

I thought it was funny when they called me about one that I was trying to price online. I was a little confused at first as to what computer thet were talking about. Makes me want to go and price out a huge order and watch em freak.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That could make for an interesting call- let us know what happens monke. :D :)

14. Silentwave macrumors 68000

they did that with my MBP when I was speccing out different configurations.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How do they get your phone number if you havent actually bought it?

16. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

17. Fotograffiti macrumors member

Are you registered with Apple for anything you hvae bought before? I would imagine that is how.

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I refuse to put in a real phone number on web forms unless absolutely necessary. And that would explain why I never received a call!!!

Who is Andy Dibben?

19. Finnxeon thread starter macrumors regular

Finnxeon

Your guess is as good as mine....although he made himself out to be somebody of high importance. haha

Also, he talked to my dad for like 5 minutes before he talked to me, "are you the father?" and my dad was like "yeah, are you giving my son a free computer? 'chuckles'"

20. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Does it need to be in your cart, or in your saved carts for them to call you?

21. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Why does everyone want apple to call them? They do once your Apple Care is starting to run out if your computer is registered.

22. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I will, the MP's are in my cart right now.

Even if the do call, I won't be purchasing them. Not even one. I'll wait, a few years or so. This G5 won't be replaced for a while.

23. monke macrumors 65816

monke

So that we can feel special. :)

Otherwise, I have no clue.

24. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I think I'll try the same thing...:) I did do that once after I had heard this happen to someone else but I never got a call.