My Stolen iPod

Discussion in 'Community' started by kaylie_kipe, Jul 31, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I was very anxious this morning to recieve the iPod my boyfriend was sending me. It had been shipped Wednesday and today, Saturday, I was sure it would be here. All morning I was running in and out of the house to check my mailbox and everytime I was sadly disappointed when it was not there. Around 2:30 pm I went to lunch with my brother, but not before checking the mailbox. Since it was once again not there I left and when I got home I was suprised to find that it had finally shown up. I pulled it out of the mailbox and became slightly worried when I realized that it weighed next to nothing. Next I saw that the mailer had been ripped open and the only thing left inside were two manuals and a warranty slip for the iPod. However, the second generation iPod and the new in-ear headphones I was supposed to recieve were not. So I marched down to the post office to complain. The postal worker that delivered it claimed that the package had not been opened and had weighed more when she delievered it. They said there is nothing they can do about it because the package did not have insurance (the postal woker where it was sent from did not offer it to the shipper). I am very upset and am ready to call the police, seeing as how stealing mail is a federal crime. What do you guys think?

2. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Seems odd that someone other than the postal worker would know to check your mail that day....

4. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Hell yeah call the police and report it! Its a federal crime for a reason!

Did you guys buy it from Apple or was it mailed from the boyfriend to the you?

5. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's no solace, but here's the ad that appears under this thread.

In all seriousness, I hope you can sort this out and recover your iPod, or at least get some sort of compensation from the post office.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors regular

Don't mean to get all CSI right now and I'm probably being naive, but could you dust it for prints or anything? There must be some way of linking the package back to the postal worker, and if can be linked you should immediately file a small claims action, both against the USPS and against the specific postal worker who stole your iPod.

The measuring stick for a civil action is a "preponderance of the evidence", which means that when both sides' evidence are put side by side, the side that is more believable wins. You don't have to prove that the postal worker must have stolen your iPod, but you do have to show that it is the most likely scenario for what happened to it. If you can do that, you might have a lawsuit.

7. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

It would probably have a ton of prints on it from other outside sources that it would be Inadmissible in court.

8. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ouch sorry to hear that. good luck, guess next time u know that u should demand insurance or a courier service instead

9. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you need delivery insurance on it to make a theft claim. The insurance is usually available in case the item gets damaged through delivery. If someone at the post office stole it, then go after them. Theft is theft, and is against the law, so whether the package was insured or not, the company is responsible. The company may not have stolen it, but someone who represents the company did steal it, so they should be responsible.

Was the mailbox the box in front of your door, or was it the central mailbox unit that has mail boxes for 20 or so houses? We have 2 mailboxes: one near my front door, and one a few houses down, where we all get our mail. That box is locked, and you need a key to get into it. If it was delivered into such a mailbox, then surely it was the delivery person who stole it.

Was the iPod sent in the iPod box for everyone to see, or was the box sent wrapped in ugly recycled paper? Wrapping it in an ugly paper is the best way for people not to know what's in the box. If you received your iPod with the iPod box visible to everybody, then it was quite risky. :(

10. macrumors 6502a

Vector

You should call the police, and file a report, but your iPod is likely gone for good. The police will take your statement, but they aren't going to do anything about it. They aren't going to dust for prints or take statements from other people, as it isn't worth their time.

Minor crimes do not get much attention from the police. If their has been a string of local mail theft, then they will look further into it.

I have had several things stolen from my house, and from people breaking into my car, but the one time the police did find someone who did it (there had been a string of robberies) my stuff was already gone. A few weeks ago someone broke into my car and four others on my street. We all filed reports, but i doubt the police did anything because we each only lost a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff.

It doesn't matter weather it was a federal crime or not. THe police will file their report, and they might find the guy if it has happened more than once but i doubt it.

You should go ahead and file a report though just in case it has been happening to others.

Do you live in an apartment or a house?

11. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not only the police, since there could be somebody hitting houses, cars, etc. in the area -- but the actual postal inspectors.

Postal theft/fraud is actually up to them and they will do a better job than the local police -- it's a Federal Crime, not really a local crime. ;)

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/mailthft.htm

12. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sorry about your Pod' use the USPS website and have it investigated to the best of your ability, its probably gone though.... good luck.

13. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Don't be so sure about it being a minor crime with the police having better things to do. Craig Colorado (where I shipped the sad missing ipod) is a very small town, and this would be a big deal there. I already got my call from the brown-five-O.

14. thread starter macrumors member

I have a regular mailbox, a key is not needed to get inside of it. I am living in a small town right now and I have already had an officer over to ask me questions. Also they have, as Jared said, already called him about it. The people who said I probably will not recover it are probably right. Although this is a small town the bad things that happen in it are not so small. It is probably gone forever, which is really very unfortunate. Thank you all for responding to my post and giving me a chance to vent. It is very much appreciated.

15. macrumors 6502a

Vector

I said that because it says your location is seattle, and the police in my city - much smaller - don't even have the time for minor crimes.

I had thought about saying something about small town crime, as i used to live in one and crime was handled much better, but again i didn't think this situation involved a small town.

Good luck.

16. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You don't expect the location to be changed every time somebody takes a trip, do you? Anyway, I would be very surprised if Craig's finest came up with the missing ipod.

17. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Technically, isn't it the case that your mailbox is the property of the US Mail?

In that case the item was still in their possesion when it was stolen and you should be able to get some sort of compensation. It was stolen from them, not you, and they need to explain.

18. macrumors 603

quagmire

How is it the property of US mail? You paid for the freaken mailbox. You spend you cash on a mailbox that isn't yours anymore when you dig it into the ground. Does that make sense to you?

19. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

You also pay $35 (In Wisconsin) for a drivers license with your picture and your name, but it's the property of the DMV. The mailbox thing would be good to look into.

20. thread starter macrumors member

Sellers?

If anyone out there is willing to sell their iPod please talk to me. I would really like to replace the one that was stolen if i can get one at a decent price. Thank you.

21. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I know it doesn't make sense, but it's the law.

From the US Postal Inspection Service web site:
    "Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism."
    http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/tipvandl.htm

There are urban legends of people painting their mailbox and then sending the bill to the govt, or others sending a rent bill for the few feet of land the mailbox is on.

22. thread starter macrumors member

HaHa

That's kind of funny about the bill for paint. Tomorrow I am going to go to the town pawn shop and see if anyone has tried to sell it and then tell the owner, if he doesn't already have it, that if someone tries to sell him one if he could please buy it and get their name for me. The chances of it showing up there are very slim but it is worth a try. It very well may be sold somewhere though or given away because the small town I'm in is semi-behind in technology and it is very unlikely they will have a Mac and almost just about as unlikely they will have a firewire port on their computer. But we'll see. I would still like to try to buy one if anyone is willing to sell. Thanks.

23. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And despite what we see on TV, the CSI team doesn't come out on every case (big or small).

Hopefully the package was insured...

24. macrumors 68020

I just found this post and am amazed someone scooped up the iPod that easily from the mail! Someone had to have known it was an iPod as far as a motive goes, unless this was directly from Apple and in that case it would have the Apple address labels.

Just wondering, did you iPod get one of those special laser engraves? It would create a better description of the iPod.

But the person that stole the iPod only stole the headphones and iPod itself right? Well, that iPod will be semi-useless. No FireWire cable or USB cable, even though those can be bought. I hope the pawn shop will have some information for you.

Small crimes still will be handled well by the police. My teacher reported her checkbook got stolen from her car. The thief broke through the window of her car and snatched it. They were able to later track him down and made him pay for her broken window. Did the police even offer to or bother to dust the box for prints? I might not have been handled by too many people for all we know. And the stuff inside the box shouldn't have been touched by any human hands before boxing it up.

Well, good luck to you. I hope your iPod will show up and that the criminal will pay for the crime.

25. thread starter macrumors member

Just A Normal iPod

The iPod was not new and it had no laser engravings on it. No one knew I was getting it except for my boyfriend and I, so no one should have grabbed it for that reason. It was not mailed by apple, since it was not new, but it was mailed by my boyfriend in a mailer envelope. And they didn't just steal the iPod, they stole the iPod, the iPod case, the firewire cable, the charger, the original headphones, and the in-ear headphones. So it is not useless to them if they have a decent computer. It really is unfortunate. But I am calling the postal inspectors tomorrow and seeing if they will look into it.