My strange little ipod... :/

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eomando, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Eomando macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a 4g 40gb ipod (lots of hard-earned cash), only its starting to worry me a little.

You see, when I'm not listening to it, I'd like it to *stay turned off*.. So to make sure it doesn't get accidentally turned on in my bag or anything, I turn it off and use the "hold" switch so it *shouldn't* be turn-on-able...

Nevertheless, I can still walk into my room sometimes and think "hmm, I can hear music....." and find my ipods turned itself on (still with the hold switch on!) and is merrily playing away.. It happened just the other day again when I had it plugged into the dock, it just suddenly started playing for no reason at all...and had previously been turned off with the hold switch on...

It seems rather unusual to me (and a little freaky!), but until the apple store in london opens, i don't really have anywhere to take it to get it checked out (nor do i know what they'd do).. Should I take it along to the store when it opens (or a week later when the hype's died down ;) ) or is this something everybody's ipod does when they're not watching?? :confused:
  2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

It sounds like your iPod is possessed. Try this when you turn the iPod off press play pause first then when the iPod is turned off flip the hold switch. Then press some buttons to see if anything happens, your hold switch could be wacky.
  3. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    it happens to me when I forget the alarm clock on at a specific hour (7 in the morning for example) and when I get up later, I find it on, playing the same list on and on... maybe alarm is your problem too...
  4. Macophile macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    Southern California
    I had a similar problem when I couldn't figure out why the battery was losing so much of its charge. It was the alarm. I'd set it once for whatever reason and forgotten to turn it off, so it was starting up and playing the same playlist every morning. It was a long playlist, so it played for a few hours (with the earbuds unplugged, so I didn't hear anything) and then shut itself off. I figured it out when I pulled the iPod out one morning to listen to it and discovered it already on and playing. Turned the alarm setting off and it hasn't been a problem since.

Sounds like it might be your most likely suspect, especially if you've been careful about using the "Hold" switch.
  5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  6. Eomando thread starter macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    The alarm, huh? That could explain it actually, I did try it out when i first got the ipod, and haven't bothered with it since... i didn't think it was on, but I'll check. It would be *so* good if it was that!! :)

I don't think its a problem with the hold button itself, i can fiddle with it all i want usually when that's pressed and nothing happens..

I'm going to feel *so* stupid if it's the alarm! (and so pleased too).