My Superdrive is acting crazy, but I'm not sure if it's broken.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by not28, Dec 9, 2005.

1. not28 macrumors member

Oct 4, 2005
    Hi, this is kind of a continuation from my cry for help. I have a brand-new iBook G4 that I bought in mid-October. A few days ago I received the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD collection; three games that are 5-10 years old. My hardware should be more than enough to handle it.

Okay, so when I install the games and try to run them, my Superdrive goes insane. It makes a loud sweeping sound, as if it's frantically trying to read the disc but can't. As a result the video skips so badly that I have to force quit the game and eject the CD. This is the worst-case scenario and it only happens with Myst III: Exile. The other two games give me similar behavior, only not quite to that degree.

I tried running the game on my coworker's 15" Powerbook and it works fine, so it's not a problem with the disc or Mac compatibility. I think something may be wrong with my Superdrive, but I'm not sure because it has worked fine up until now. I am able to burn CDs and DVDs and I can rip music CDs and play DVDs flawlessly. Should I consider contacting Apple about this problem?
  2. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    It seems you have a very sensitive superdrive, call apple.