My Superdrive spits out blank CD's & DVD's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by marknicholls, Jan 3, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

I have had my mac a few days, i have just tried to write some data onto DVD for the first time. I inserted the DVD and after about 20 seconds of clunking, it spat it out. I thought i may be a bad DVD so tried another, and it did the same. I then double checked it is a superdrive, and in sysem profile is says it is a Pioneer DVDRW.

I then tried a blank CD and it did the same.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I thought it might be because it is DVD+R or so .. but since it does it with the CD too that can't be the case ..

Can you give us a system profiler dump ?

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Many Thanks

I cant get online until my airport card arrives (im using a mates PC now), ill download all updates when it arrives.

Glad it is that rather than a fault (well fingers crossed anyway)

Thanks

4. DougJrS macrumors regular

Just a thought (since I just did this) you didn't put the disk in the drive up-side-down did you? I just got some CD-R that look almost exactly the same top and bottom. The only way that I can tell which side is the "data" side is to lok at the disk in full light at an angle and the data side will have a slight green look to it.

I will never again buy the cheap 100 pack of CD-R media. (I guess that I really shouldn't say never)

One more thing will it read a CD or DVD?

Doug

5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

It has to be asked if it does the same with all discs, or just blank ones? Is this a laptop or a desktop? I found that after some annoying trouble with iTunes burning, the drive in my PowerBook decided not to accept any discs whatsoever. In my case, it needed to be replaced (good thing it was still under warranty), but normally, it's just because a tiny strip of felt comes a bit loose, and affects the ability of the drive to take discs. Slicing the felt away solves the problem if Apple won't replace the drive.

In general, if the updates don't work, have the drive replaced as, by the sound of it, the machine is still under warranty.

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Another thought here...it could also very well be the brand of blank media you're using. I've had rotten luck with both the Maxell and Sony variations, but have not had a problem with TDK.

7. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Good point on the media. This is why I love the fact that Apple includes a blank DVD with all superdrive machines. It makes good test media.

8. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

9. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

I tell a lie

I tested it with CDRW and it worked fine. I have just tried to insert a Blank TDK DVDRW 1-4X 4.6GB Single Sided DVD and it spits it out...

any advise would be great

10. DougJrS macrumors regular

was the DVD -R or +R? I think that Apple only supports the -R format.

The reason that I said think is that Steve mentioned something about +R with the new iLife, but I have not checked it yet.

Doug

11. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

The only Superdrive that supports +R is the new one in the Mac Mini. It supports both + and -. So unless you have the new Mac Mini then you're probably SOL when it comes to using + media.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What's the difference between "DVD - R" and "DVD + R"?

13. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats goos news....i got them from work anyway....better go and raid the stock cupboard for -R then ;)

14. DougJrS macrumors regular

I am not 100% sure what the exact answer is to the what is the difference between -R and +R.

I know that -R is more widely used in DVD players then +R. I also know that -R media is usually cheaper. I think that two companies just came us with a standard, so now we have 2 standards and I guess that would give us an unstandard standard (or something like that)

Doug

15. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible to get an external Dual DVD writer for a mac?

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lacie make one or two... specs here.

Check www.dabs.com/uk for good UK prices.

17. DougJrS macrumors regular