My Tale of Powerbook Woe

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Aug 12, 2004.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Arrrggg....

Let me explain that I've been using a wonderful Powerbook G3 with all the upgrades for the past few years.

I had been planning on taking it to college with me, as it performed wonderfully under 9.2.2. All I needed it to do was to run Office.

However I needed to upgrade the RAM, so I decided to remove the stock RAM in the lower DIMM slot. (See this for what it looks like: http://www.transintl.com/technotes/installrampbg3_2.htm)

To make a long story short, I broke a small connector off of the motherboard while using a flat-head screwdriver to remove the CPU daughtercard. Motherboard is FUBAR. Everything else is fine, just a ****ing 2 bit piece breaks off and I'm screwed. I'm not as pissed as I was a few hours ago, but damn it, I don't have a functional computer to take with me to college.

So now, on the eve of the new G5 iMac and the probable discontinuation of the eMac, I am forced into buying a combo-drive eMac. As much as I'd like to feel happy about it, especially after all those years of working on 9.2.2. I'm really going to be pissed when the iMacs are released. (Our family has a CRT iMac running OS X, so it hasn't been that bad.)

Anyone want to help me feel better about getting the eMac?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think there is anything anyone can say about you being "forced" to buy a G4 eMac when we know G5 iMacs are round the corner, sorry buddy, but your situation does suck :(

No way you could lease a laptop for a couple of months just until the new iMacs come out?

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

You sure its not something that can be soltered back on? It's worth a try, if the computer is already dead...

Or maybe hold out for the 2 weeks till the G5 iMacs come out? Even if they're too expensive, you could take advantage of the refurb eMac deals (should they discontinue the line... otherwise you could get the same eMac).

As for making you feel better about the eMac, I don't see why you shouldn't. It's quite an upgrade over a G3 laptop, and its nothing to be ashamed of or anything. I'd be getting one if I had the money (I'm stuck with searching for a CRT iMac on eBay for like $200).

Congrats on the upgrade (sorry about your laptop, may it rest in peace [pieces?])

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if your old PB only had to run Office, can't you just try to get by using school's computer labs until iMacs come out?

(though for the rumored price of the iMac, i'd get an iBook instead... why do you want a G5 to run Office anyway? - i know that's not all you want/plan to run, but do you see my point?)

5. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Sadly, no.

I tried that, but it didn't work. The piece that broke off is hardly longer than 2mm.

Problem is I need a new computer by next Wednesday when I start college. If I had the time I would certainly wait, but I need it now.

Heh, yeah. I never expected to have to upgrade like this though. But looking at it now, an upgrade is still an upgrade, and I probably would not have been able to afford the new iMacs anyways. Even the new iBooks with the education discount are still too expensive.

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'm required to have a computer myself, otherwise I probably would be using the school's computer lab.

The money going to the eMac was my savings for a surfboard. Grrrr....looks like my surfboard's going to have to wait.

7. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

All I can tell you is, that I own 20 computers.. and every time I got a new one.. It made me really anxious and happy. New technology always makes us true computer lovers happy.. My latest upgrade made me enormusly happy, I bought a nice little LCD projector so I could Game on my ceailing while I layed down on the bed... Its great :p

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

First of all, the eMac is a great computer, but being a college student myself, I understand your desire for something "cooler". I can't imagine anything worse than buying something so expensive that you aren't satisfied with. You have several options. Take a step back and consider them.

Since you "must have a computer", see if anyone has an old machine they don't use anymore. Lots of people have old P1 or P2 PC's in their garage. That would certainly work for word processing in the interim. If you can't find one, buy one. You can get a cheap PC for less than $70 on ebay.

I don't know what your situation is at home, but perhaps you could borrow the iMac for a few weeks.

Also, about your school's computer policy: I seriously don't think they are going to disqualify you from the university and send you home because you don't have a computer. Is there some kind of "computer patrol" that goes around inspecting dorms for compliance with this computer policy? I don't think so. And if anyone asks, just tell them you've ordered it, and it's delayed (which is in a sense true if you are waiting for the iMac G5). What are they going to do? And as others have said, just use the labs in the meantime.

My last suggestion is probably the one I would follow if I was in your situation. Buy an iBook. You can get a 12" iBook for a little more than you are going to spend on the eMac. The specs are more or less the same, but laptops are way cooler. You can take it around with you to classes, labs, the library, ect. It's just convenient and practical. And nothing beats being able to chat and surf the web from bed ;).

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

wow

dude the college your going to doesn't have computers? sheesh, use the ones in the library! ur paying for college, they gotta let use somethin. i took a tour of cal state long beach and they had 2000 comps on deck.... :eek:

11. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

My college does have computers, but due to the size of the college (2000 total students) and funding (not enough computers on campus for everyone) I'd much rather have my own.

Sure, it's not required, but it is strongly recommended that I bring my computer since it isn't a certainty that I'll always be able to use a public one.

12. zodiac macrumors member

Well, I just got the new emac and it is working fantastic. I liked the games and software it came with and its screen is of pristine(for a CRT) quality. The only thing i didn't like was it's weight and lack of a handle.. But, get that ram maxed out and put the Harddrive at 80gb or higher if it's possible.

13. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'm going with the combo eMac with 512MB RAM and the 80 GB HDD.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The eMac is a great computer. Hell, dollar for dollar, its a better deal than the iMacs. Seriously, the iMacs are highly expensive toys that come with barely passable technology for what's deemed appropriate today when buying a new computer, while the eMac provides better performance, software, and OS than anything near it's price range. They're MUCH better than the iMacs, and anyone who argues that the iMac is perfect for people who want to write documents, email, surf the web, and take care of their digital music and photo collection, isn't the eMac equally as good for such tasks? And with the money people would save by buying an eMac, they could get the faster model, more RAM, an iPod, etc. Despite the screen not being an LCD, a CRT actually has numerous advantages over LCD screens. ;)

There, that should make you feel better. ;)

15. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Heh, cheers. :)

Although I am a little worried about the fact that the GPU in the eMac doesn't support Tiger's Core Image.

Any eMac users want to comment on their machines? Noise and heat comments would be especially useful. :)

16. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

i can think of two options:

1. can you buy a machine somewhere like best buy (or whichever compu-city-whorehouse store carries macs) where you get a 30-day return policy? at least then you get most of the money back. edit: ok, actually i just checked and it looks like you only get 14 days and pay a 15% restock fee at best buy. i guess i'd still look around and see if there's anywhere you can get a decent return policy.

2. buy something used and then resell it in a few months. if you do it right, you won't lose much money at all.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord