My Terminal $PATH is messed up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frikk, Aug 16, 2006.

1. frikk macrumors newbie

Alright - some background: I've used linux and am not scared of the terminal.

I appear to have lost my $PATH variable - although no signs point directly to this. Up until last night, I could open up terminal and type 'fink', and fink would run. I could also type 'python' and python 2.4 would run. fink was installed via a downloaded installer, python2.4 (i think) comes with os x tiger. I have also installed py-wxwindows via port (darwinports), which I believe may have also installed python2.4. I could, up until last night, also type 'port' into the command line and port would run.

Now, fink and port are both unrecognized. My path is the same as my friend who has Tiger, as well. Also 'python' runs python2.3. If I look at the directory where the 'python' command is located in (/usr/bin), 'python' is a soft link to python2.3. However, python2.4 is now missing.

This arose when i added an alias to .bash_profile (which i had to create). The alias was just simply to run a python script which loads up wxwindows. wxwindows complained that I was using an old version of wxwindows (which I think happened because it was now using python -> python2.3 instead of python2.4). Everything worked the night before. I deleted the .bash_profile, but i still cannot figure out what is going on.

I could just add /sw/bin to the path, but I'm pretty sure that was not there before. Did I do something else wrong, or is something else going on that i dont know about?

Also, I re downloaded python2.4 through port (via sudo /opt/local/bin/port install py-wxpython), and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is. this is besides the point, however.

Help?

Blaines-Computer:~ frikk$ echo $PATH
    /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Darwin ports I think (can't check right now - MBP is in for repair) /opt and Fink as you know installs to /sw.

You'll most probably need to add /opt/bin to your path manually and Fink has a shell script that you should add to your shell login profile. This is explained in their installation guide. This little shell script will add /sw/bin to the path for you.

3. frikk thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the reply.

which shell script?

i will add those to my path - thank you. i'll check this out when i get home.

thanks!
    blaine

4. PatrickF macrumors 6502