My theory on a display refresh.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daustin, Jan 15, 2007.

1. daustin macrumors member

I was looking around in the Apple Store in Indy the other day and started wondering how they would display the AppleTV in-store when it comes out. I wasn't sure if you would be able to hook it up to an Apple display directly or not, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to display it with a TV from another company (Sony, Samsung, etc.).

Anyway, my thought is that there might be a refresh before or around the time that the AppleTV is released. One that would connect directly (without extra cables) to an Apple display. Wouldn't that make sense?

D

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

good point, except the Apple displays are monitors and not televisions. it would be interesting to see them (monitors and televisions) combined in the next update.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The current ACD's don't have the technology in them to be used as a tv screen. I was thinking the same thing when the AppleTV was first rumored and was hoping for an update at MWSF. Maybe Apple will update the screens, but that will probably be in August or September, except if they bring out a completely new kind of screen.

4. daustin thread starter macrumors member

Well....that's sort of what I was getting at. (Sorry, guess I didn't word it too well!) Wouldn't it make sense for them to add that feature to their displays?

5. aljlin macrumors regular

Well they do display other vendor's products, (Video cameras, digicams, etc) so it wouldn't be entirely out of their past to show other vendor's products, as long as they don't currently sell a product which competes with that company. They don't sell TV's, and if anything they could always try to hook it up to a digital projector and project it onto a wall, though lighting would be an issue. Unless they change the Display, they could always just hook up the apple tv to a smallish lcd tv, even if it were a different company, since they aren't selling a product which competes in that tv market. A plus for them is if they show a product which can handle higher graphics, which would allow better demonstration of the video capabilities of the apple tv, it would maybe not only entice people to buy the apple tv, but also a tv that can showcase the product when people are visiting the customer's home. The better the graphics that people see when watching apple tv, the more likely people are going to be curious about the product & more curiosity = more sales. If/when the cinema displays are updated to handle component cables and stuff, apple stores may have to rely on hd tv's of its competitors to sell the apple tv's.