My Theroy on the "None-Touch" iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Zwhaler, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Well, after trying to think of how the iPod could possibly function without touch, I thought of this. I know it seems like BS, but it's the best I could come up with in 5 minutes.

Ok, imagine the iPod, and imagine it with the full-screen package, but instead of touching, you can press buttons from a distance. Like imagine the iPod has little hairs that stick up on the surface, and you can press buttons from say an inch or 2 away. Get it? Kinda high-tech, but they might have done it.

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Stop putting it off and shave your dad-gum armpits!

The iPod comb accessory?

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

...cool idea - I guess - but in terms of usability, learning curve, and repair costs...no way.

Personally, I believe that "he" was refering to the recent rumors suggesting Apple is going to release a touch-screen iPod. Apparently, he believes that Apple's next iPod is not going to be a touch-screen. That, or it will support voice-commands. <Shrug> :confused: :p ;)

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

5. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

no doubt! puff puff pass, puff puff pass man! :D

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I was under the impression that this technology only works from very very close at this point. :confused:

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

(a) I'll have some of whatever you've had
    (b) touching hairs is still touching
    (c) there's been a recent invention called a remote control that I've heard mentioned on the wireless

8. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

I Think everyone is wrong and the none-touch was screwed up in translation. :D
    Its supposed to be Multi-touch: meaning instead of a traditional touch screen where you can only use one finger at a time. You can use many fingers to access information on the screen. Its being done now As it is: check out this Multi-Touch video :cool:
    This has been out for a While... Its pretty nice with google Earth isnt it!

9. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

They should do like Wacom and make the area about half an inch above the screen sensitive to the stylus/finger.

10. Selax77 macrumors member

Any ideas on when the new ipod is coming out?

11. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

That's a pretty awesome video.

12. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

It can tell what you want to listen to by judging your body heat...similar to a mood ring.

Seriously, I think they might look into putting the inputs on the sides of the iPod...kinda like every ****** mp3 player in production right now. A touch screen seems impossible. They would be compromising durability. Think of one personal movie player with a touch screen? any examples? there are none.

I want to see them package the new iPods with the in-ear style headphones.

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Or it could just be voice activated but 'non-touch' justs sounds cooler :rolleyes: