Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
I actually winced looking at your video of this as you are slamming your finger down hard, particularly near the top of the TP where the surface area is so minimal.

Nah, it's a pretty light force — imagine heavy typing. I'm gaining the audio up loads so you can hear it clearly, which also makes the knock on a hollow metal box loud too.

Plus, as I'm sure you recall, I first noticed the noise by putting the laptop down on my desk after getting it out of the box. The tapping was just to reproduce it for the video.
[doublepost=1484832041][/doublepost]
I must say that if was working for Apple and I saw your videos, I would not entertain your repeat requests for exchanges.

You must be the person who denied a replacement for this machine of my colleague's. He's currently fighting the fact they'll only let it be repaired, but there are no parts available to actually repair it.

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024.jpg

[doublepost=1484832090][/doublepost]
In terms of the forces of transit, you're really just guessing here.

Yup! That's why I wrote "are likely to be applied".

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Nah, it's a pretty light force — imagine heavy typing. I'm gaining the audio up loads so you can hear it clearly, which also makes the knock on a hollow metal box loud too.

Plus, as I'm sure you recall, I first noticed the noise by putting the laptop down on my desk after getting it out of the box. The tapping was just to reproduce it for the video.
[doublepost=1484832041][/doublepost]

You must be the person who denied a replacement for this machine of my colleague's. He's currently fighting the fact they'll only let it be repaired, but there are no parts available to actually repair it.

View attachment 684428
[doublepost=1484832090][/doublepost]

Yup! That's why I wrote "are likely to be applied".
[doublepost=1484832580][/doublepost]There is no easy way for me to say that I cannot agree with you, my apologies but - looking at your videos again, you are clearly pounding your finger down even without the sound on. As for the 'clank' the machine made when you set it down on the table - why didn't you simply record that for the faulty units? It was obvious to you immediately after all wasn't it?

As for your colleague's issue, I am not sure how this is relevant to your issue or my comments about them, given your photo appears to show a graphical glitch of some kind. Is your colleague slamming his finger down on the GPU per chance?

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
There is no easy way for me to say that I cannot agree with you, my apologies but - looking at your videos again, you are clearly pounding your finger down even without the sound on. As for the 'clank' the machine made when you set it down on the table - why didn't you simply record that for the faulty units? It was obvious to you immediately after all wasn't it?

You're correct — a video of my setting it down would have been better. However, if I recorded one now you'd dismiss it as invalid since I already tapped it with my lead fingers.

Fortunately, whether you agree with me or not has absolutely zero meaning — people at Apple have seen those videos and haven't declared that my tapping is the cause of the problem, and that's all that's important.

As for your colleague's issue, I am not sure how this is relevant to your issue or my comments about them

It was a joke - never mind.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
You're correct — a video of my setting it down would have been better. However, if I recorded one now you'd dismiss it as invalid since I already tapped it with my lead fingers.

Fortunately, whether you agree with me or not has absolutely zero meaning — people at Apple have seen those videos and haven't declared that my tapping is the cause of the problem, and that's all that's important.

It was a joke - never mind.

As another poster above said, Apple will smile and say whatever you need them to within the exchange period as they pride themselves on great customer services - can you imagine them looking at your videos and then accusing you of lying or exaggerating at this stage? Why were the videos needed in any case if they clanked when you set the machines down - could you not replicate this in store?

If all these units made clank noises when you sat them down in a normal fashion then you have every right to exchange them and your bad run will surely end soon. But if these reported clanks are actually from your 'tests' I think you should stop producing false results and enjoy your next unit in normal day to day usage.

Whilst Apple might be obliging, there is only so far they will be pushed with false claims (I am not saying yours is) until they tighten their returns policies to the detriment of everyone.

Good luck.

Reactions: chiamac

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
If all these units made clank noises when you sat them down in a normal fashion then you have every right to exchange them and your bad run will surely end soon. But if these reported clanks are actually from your 'tests' I think you should stop producing false results and enjoy your next unit in normal day to day usage.

As I've (now repeatedly) said, these clanks were all noticed by the machines being set down on a table. If it only made the noise when I tapped it, it wouldn't be an issue.

It looks like we agree. :)

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
As I've (now repeatedly) said, these clanks were all noticed by the machines being set down on a table. If it only made the noise when I tapped it, it wouldn't be an issue.

It looks like we agree. :)

That's a little selective of you isn't it?

I also asked why you didn't replicate the sounds of the units in store and/or why you relied on those tapping videos instead?

My point is that you're being convoluted in how you address the issues you report.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
That's a little selective of you isn't it?

Your statement:

If all these units made clank noises when you sat them down in a normal fashion then you have every right to exchange them and your bad run will surely end soon.

That is indeed what happened, and I also hope my bad run will end soon. We agree, as upset as that makes you.

I also asked why you didn't replicate the sounds of the units in store and/or why you relied on those tapping videos instead?

I did reproduce the sounds in-store, and the Apple employee I talked to about it verified said noise. However, machines in the Apple Store have no bearing on whether Apple considers my machine replacement-worthy.

My point is that you're being convoluted in how you address the issues you report.

I'm addressing my issue by giving all my evidence to Apple and going through the process of getting a replacement machine that at least one of us (Apple or myself) doesn't deem defective. There's nothing convoluted about that.

I'm not addressing my issue on this forum — I'm sharing it.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Your statement:

That is indeed what happened, and I also hope my bad run will end soon. We agree, as upset as that makes you.

I did reproduce the sounds in-store, and the Apple employee I talked to about it verified said noise. However, machines in the Apple Store have no bearing on whether Apple considers my machine replacement-worthy.

I'm addressing my issue by giving all my evidence to Apple and going through the process of getting a replacement machine that at least one of us (Apple or myself) doesn't deem defective. There's nothing convoluted about that.

I'm not addressing my issue on this forum — I'm sharing it.

No, you're not following me. I'm asking -

1. Why you simply didn't take your faulty machines into a store and show them the sounds they made when you set them down, especially given the sound was obvious? And further;

2. Why have you instead sought to reproduce the sound via your tapping videos if it was such an obvious sound in the first place? This has happened three times after all - you didn't think to record any of the first hand issues?

It's because of the above that I find your manner in dealing with the issue and reporting on it convoluted.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
Most people use the MBP in a seated position with the computer essentially still. Does it rattle when you are using it or only when you shake it? Its not a gallon of paint. Why is this an issue? You appear to have too much time on your hands. I guarantee you that when you get into your late 60's all these kinds of issues will develop some perspective.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
1. Why you simply didn't take your faulty machines into a store and show them the sounds they made when you set them down, especially given the sound was obvious?

A few reasons:

1. Since I have a custom config, the retail stores here in Sweden can't help. All this would achieve is them going "Yup, it makes a noise — call Apple aftersales for help".

2. The Apple Store is 45 minutes drive away.

3. Apple aftersales are willing to replace the machines based on the videos.

2. Why have you instead sought to reproduce the sound via your tapping videos if it was such an obvious sound in the first place? This has happened three times after all - you didn't think to record any of the first hand issues?

In my mind, setting the machine down and tapping it show the same issue — when faced with a small but sharp force, something loose inside the machine hits the inside of the case. Whether that small force is generated by the machine contacting a desk or my finger contacting the machine isn't super important.

Because my finger is squidgy, the instantaneous force generated by it is less than that of the hard machine contacting a hard desk. More useful for the video, though, is that my squidgy finger makes less noise than a wooden table.

It's because of the above that I find your manner in dealing with the issue and reporting on it convoluted.

I dealt with the issue by calling Apple, describing the noise, and starting the return process.
[doublepost=1484836692][/doublepost]
Most people use the MBP in a seated position with the computer essentially still. Does it rattle when you are using it or only when you shake it?

Please read the thread. The noise happens when I set it down on a desk, when I'm typing on the lower half of the keyboard, or (less importantly) when I tap the case.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
give us an update when/if your issue is resolved. others might say otherwise, but i've done everything with my 15" tbMBP to reproduce the noises in your video and i couldn't replicate it. that sound when tapping near the trackpad (or when you set it down on a table as you mentioned) is not normal. it's much better to have it resolved now than later finding out that the force touch motor is dead. good luck!

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
A few reasons:

1. Since I have a custom config, the retail stores here in Sweden can't help. All this would achieve is them going "Yup, it makes a noise — call Apple aftersales for help".

2. The Apple Store is 45 minutes drive away.

3. Apple aftersales are willing to replace the machines based on the videos.

In my mind, setting the machine down and tapping it show the same issue — when faced with a small but sharp force, something loose inside the machine hits the inside of the case. Whether that small force is generated by the machine contacting a desk or my finger contacting the machine isn't super important.

Because my finger is squidgy, the instantaneous force generated by it is less than that of the hard machine contacting a hard desk. More useful for the video, though, is that my squidgy finger makes less noise than a wooden table.

I dealt with the issue by calling Apple, describing the noise, and starting the return process.
[doublepost=1484836692][/doublepost]

Please read the thread. The noise happens when I set it down on a desk, when I'm typing on the lower half of the keyboard, or (less importantly) when I tap the case.

And this is where I disagree with your stance.

You have evidenced the sounds via your finger tapping despite the multiple opportunities you have had to record the actual problem and it's still unclear why you didn't just record the actual issues. It's like you put more effort into recreating the problem for effect. Now you're saying the sounds are comparable and that the force you generate with your finger is the same as you setting the laptop down but your reasoning here is tenuous and only begs the question again - why bother with recording a recreation?

As things stand I can only judge your issues by your videos which, as I state, show you conducting artificial stress tests that have no correlation with normal use and/or the issues you had with setting your laptop down.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
And this is where I disagree with your stance.

Originally I recorded the videos to show my Twitter peers, not to record perfect evidence. My first replacement was done with a simple call to Apple — they didn't want to see the video at that point. Only after the third machine made the noise did I decide to put this online, and it's not like I can re-record the videos of machines that are now back with Apple.

You're the kind of person who describes me calling up Apple, describing my problem and entering the replacement process as "being convoluted". To be honest, I doubt you'd believe me if I came over to your house with my laptop and put it down on your desk. So, I'm going stop trying.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I've already stated multiple times that I'm not so fussed about the rattling sound it makes when shaken.

So get AppleCare and go away.

The sound I'm concerned about is the metallic twanging sound inside the bottom case. In the videos I demonstrate by tapping on the case, but it also happens when I set the machine down on a table or otherwise move it around, but it's harder to video these cases. It also happens (but more quietly) when I'm typing on the bottom half of the keyboard with the laptop on a hard surface. Unfortunately it can't be hard on video over my typing, but it's definitely there.

The reason I'm concerned about this particular noise is because if there is something loose in there, those components are close enough to the battery that there's a small chance of problems later down the line. Also this thing cost €3400, but apparently I should give Apple my €3400 and be happy with whatever rattling mess I get back. It says a lot about Apple's recent hardware quality — I've been buying Macs for 20 years and this is the first one I've ever had with stuff like this, but apparently that's The Way Things Are™ now.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Your viewpoints have been useful.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Originally I recorded the videos to show my Twitter peers, not to record perfect evidence. My first replacement was done with a simple call to Apple — they didn't want to see the video at that point. Only after the third machine made the noise did I decide to put this online, and it's not like I can re-record the videos of machines that are now back with Apple.

You're the kind of person who describes me calling up Apple, describing my problem and entering the replacement process as "being convoluted". To be honest, I doubt you'd believe me if I came over to your house with my laptop and put it down on your desk. So, I'm going stop trying.

You don't know what kind of person I am and nor do I regarding you.

I'm querying why someone who claims to have experienced the same rare issue three times meticulously recreates said issue under dubious conditions to make a song and dance about it on a website, social networking and here, yet never thought to record the actual problem as encountered. Whilst you were tapping away, for reasons still unknown, it never dawned on you to take a minute to record yourself setting your laptop down to record the noise.

The above tends to suggest that the problem was indeed just that the machine rattled when you hit it. Apple accepted this as a reason for exchange which is nether here nor there as that's what they do.

Lastly, to be clear I said your method of dealing with the problem and reporting it was convoluted.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
You should rename this thread shake, rattle, and roll.

I admire your persistence to get the quality you've come to expect from Apple. The premium we pay for our beloved Apple products is as much about design and performance as it is about quality. Keep on until you get the unit that hits the quality measure.

Reactions: No. 44 and Queen6

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So...I just checked my MBP and it does the same thing as video #2. Should I get mine replaced?

I would not bother getting a replacement. That issue has occurred for since the 1st Retina MBP. My guess is the plastic layer is left rather a little loose in there to allow for thermal expansion.

Benny L

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2017
Vegas baby
I would not bother getting a replacement. That issue has occurred for since the 1st Retina MBP. My guess is the plastic layer is left rather a little loose in there to allow for thermal expansion.

Thank you Mr. Tim Cook Jr.-lol
It never ceases to amaze me how these apple heads can spend there hard earned money on what is supposed to be a premium product and then spew "just live with it"
It took me 2 returns and the 3rd one was and is functioning fine.
And yes apple heads - before you go nutty the genius at the store fully agreed with me and had no problem exchanging them.
1st one - cosmetic scratches right out of box
2nd one - shutting off and rebooting issue
3rd one - perfect
So yes- if there is something not right with your machine and you are in return period - JUST DO IT- RETURN
DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE APPLE HEADS
IT IS YOUR MONEY

capelesshero

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
It never ceases to amaze me how these apple heads can spend there hard earned money on what is supposed to be a premium product and then spew "just live with it"
And yes apple heads - before you go nutty the genius at the store fully agreed with me and had no problem exchanging them.
3rd one - perfect
So yes- if there is something not right with your machine and you are in return period - JUST DO IT- RETURN
IT IS YOUR MONEY
Oh I'm way out of return period, I was assumed this would be something covered by warrantee or apple care.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Do we wonder why the price of these laptops is so high?

$10,000USD of returned laptops that Apple is going to eat in costs.....

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
3rd one - perfect
IT IS YOUR MONEY

We are talking about taking a MacBook and shaking it rapidly from side to side and it making a noise as the diffuser moves slightly. Not a scratch you can see, not an issue with any operation, and has zero impact on our usage of the device. It is also an issues that many retina MacBooks have, and their owners probably do not even know about, because they do not shake their machines rapidly from side to side.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
3rd one - perfect
IT IS YOUR MONEY

You think you're funny? Calling people "Apple Heads"?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Do we wonder why the price of these laptops is so high?

$10,000USD of returned laptops that Apple is going to eat in costs.....
I'm not sure they are taking any loss except for shipping to and fro, my bet is they are conditioning these returns back to factory specs, resetting battery so it's not more than 5 cycles and packing them back up and selling as new. The new owner would never know someone else returned it weeks before.

honeybadger1022

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
I'm not sure they are taking any loss except for shipping to and fro, my bet is they are conditioning these returns back to factory specs, resetting battery so it's not more than 5 cycles and packing them back up and selling as new. The new owner would never know someone else returned it weeks before.

There is absolutely zero chance that is happening. If anyone ever spilled the beans it would be devastating. They sell it refurbished and most likely that price is the at cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.