My those Memory clips break easily!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kdoug, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

kdoug

A friend of mine at work ordered a new Mini after seeing mine. He ordered it from Amazon along with 8GB of RAM. I offered to install it since I've installed many including my own. I removed the top no problem and went to remove the bottom and "snap" the right side retainer broke with a little piece of grey plastic laying there. The left side still holds it down and everything works OK but you'd think they could design them a little better than this.
    I'm no rookie at this and I didn't think I used much pressure but who knows.
    Just be very careful not to pull out to far when removing the existing sticks.

2. macrumors 65816

dasx

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Thanks for the link. If I'd have seen that earlier I wouldn't have started a new thread.

4. macrumors 603

thekev

You can see if they'll fix it under warranty. Ram is considered user serviceable. If this is a common/known issue, they might take care of it. I've never seen memory clips break on any other machine.

5. macrumors 65816

dasx

No prob. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone, lol
    For what I've read in there though, it'll work just fine.

6. macrumors 603

philipma1957

i have put ram in these since 2006 lots so many that my support list at the apple store is 28 pages long.. i have seen broken clips in new machines. think of the factory worker in china doing a few thousand a week he/she is more likely to have micro fractured it due to the need for speedy install.