My thoughts on OmniWeb 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I was going to post this under the MacBytes link thread, but it seemed like it perhaps warrants its own thread.

I'm giving OmniWeb 5 a shot right now. It's a big improvement over previous versions in that it uses WebKit, so it's not nearly as slow as its predecessors. I have a couple of gripes about it though:

-New browser windows always open at the default size instead of the size of the window I was in. I don't like that. I'm usually on IRC, AIM, and the Web at the same time and I have my windows set up so it's easy to see if somebody's said something while I'm in Safari.
    -The RSS viewer isn't nearly as easy to use as NetNewsWire. I was expecting something along the lines of what you can see in the screenshots of the Safari browser in Tiger. The only way to see summaries of headlines is to go into the bookmarks window, which is a pain.
    -I can take or leave the tab implementation. It's not really an improvement over other implementations, but it takes up more screen real estate. It's not really enough to bother me, but it does irk me when I'm looking at a particular webcomic I like. When the tab drawer is open, the screen isn't wide enough for the drawer and the webcomic. The option for a more conventional tabbed approach would be welcome.

That said, the ad blocking is nice, as is the ability to edit source code in the browser. I also like the customizable search field, though it would be nice to have a dedicated search bar, where I could have multiple search fields instead of having to choose the website I want to search from a popup menu. The UI is cleaner than Safari's, but Safari's UI never bothered me to begin with. Workspaces will probably be handy on occasion. Sometimes I'll have several windows open for one subject, and then I'll have to take a brief diversion. It's nice to save all of my open windows, then I can close them and have less clutter while I pursue another subject for a little while, then I can easily switch back. Also, the ability to manage preferences based on the domain name you're browsing is a BIG plus. I blocked ads, but on a comic strip site I visit, I discovered that the comics themselves fit the description of an ad based on their size and the fact that they're on another server. So for that domain, I turned ad-blocking off.

It's a solid browser. I don't know whether I think it's worth the $30, but for some people it probably is. I don't think it's a Safari-killer by any means, but I like it enough so far and I may go ahead and pay the registration fee by the time my trial is over.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OmniWeb has used WebKit since OW 4.5.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I just took OmniWeb for a test spin. It seems to use an outdated version of WebKit or something (though I don't know how that would be possible). Anyway, it renders mistakes in webpages that Safari used to but no longer does.

The program has some nice features, but I still find it inferior to Safari and Firefox.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The current version of OW does use an older version of WebKit (it's real easy to do: you simply package it inside your app). This is because the Omni group use a customised version that supports stuff they want to do in OW and they havn't done all that stuff the current version yet. Expect 5.1 pretty soon with a newer WebKit.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Daveman Deluxe. I'm thinking of checking out the free trial myself, just to see if OminWeb is any good, but I really doubt it will be worth $29.99.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

On a minor note, it's WebCore and JavaScriptCore that OG uses; they needed to dig deeper than WebKit allowed, which is why they're behind; it's harder to move the modifications from WebCore 85 to WebCore 125 than from WebKit 85 to WebKit 125.