Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theking.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I kinda feel like a fool posting this but I'm pretty new to Apple/iTunes...

Anyway, I just got my touch today. I connecting it to my computer (with windows XP) and it said something like "New Device" on the bottom right of the task bar thing. Then a little screen popped up and asked me which program to use. But, my computer thought that the Touch was a camera. I tried opening itunes but it just doesn't detect the iPod. I downloaded the latest version of itunes (after I plugged the touch in, if that makes a difference) today so its not that. I've turned it off, tried different USB ports, etc, but I just can't get it to work. The thing that confuses me most is that when I plug my touch into the computer, it charges but itunes still doesn't recognize it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
First make sure your iTunes is the latest version; then open iTunes then plug in the Touch; it's possible it's formatted as a Mac iPod, so that's why it's not showing up straight away; you will need to format it as a Windows iPod once that is detected.

theking.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
First make sure your iTunes is the latest version; then open iTunes then plug in the Touch; it's possible it's formatted as a Mac iPod, so that's why it's not showing up straight away; you will need to format it as a Windows iPod once that is detected.

how do i format to windows? thanks for the help

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I had that problem myself once. It didn't mount either, but it showed up in system profiler. I'm not sure what the problem was, but it fixed itself.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
how do i format to windows? thanks for the help

Well did you start update iTunes and start it first and then connect? Because iTunes formats the iPod. If you update iTunes and start it prior to connecting and it still doesn't detect when you plug it in, make sure your Windows Update stuff are up to date; it is possible your iPod is bad and you need a replacement; a trip to a Genius bar will fix that.

theking.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Well I tried on a different computer and now its working. It must have been something I did on the first computer. But thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.