My trusty G5, how far can I push her?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hostage46, Jun 1, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Now a month into my (new) 4 year old G5 that I rescued from the dumpster as the IT guy was culling the herd.

Updated the keyboard, mouse, OS, added IWork and Entourage. I've now adopted this as my primary machine running entourage for work and iWeb to run my Soaring Club website. I LOVE THIS MACHINE.

I have this really nice 24 in monitor, and have access to another... so the question is, will she run two displays?

Her vitals are ...
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
    Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
    Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
    Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2
    Serial Number (system): YM3403G1NVQ

Dan in Dallas...

2. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Need info on the video card to answer your question about two displays, but chances are it can handle it.

As for how far you can push it, you can push a computer pretty hard - pay attention to the point where it starts to push back, and you'll have a good idea of the limit. You're not going to do any kind of damage. Computers are good that way.

Nice find, BTW!

3. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I would say it probably will - as Tomorrow said, we need info on your graphics card. :apple:, About This Mac, More information, then there should be a graphics option on the right hand side of the screen (forgive me if some of these labels are odd, I am still getting back into using OSX). You may need an adapter for your second monitor depending on the card.

Do you get a lot of activity on your website?

4. macrumors 68030

uberamd

With your graphics card, you may need an ADC to DVI adapter. I am using a PowerMac G5 at work right now, and the video card had DVI, and ADC (looks like DVI, just longer). The adapter was ~$20 and I have 2 20" Cinema Displays hooked up to it, running great.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this helpful...

GeForce FX 5200:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0321
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 2060
    Displays:
    IMP_D24W33:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Display Connector:

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running the adaptor, assume that second plug back there will work :apple:

7. macrumors 6502

I'm guessing it would work then. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't. I don't know how well it would run though.

8. macrumors 68020

gugucom

64 MB VRAM isn't an awefull lot to drive two monitors on decent resolution. You may find that you will need an upgrade. There are AGP cards that will run two 30" Apple monitors in full resolutions. If memory serves me right the Geforce 7800 GS is the top option for your machine. From ATI line it would be a X800XT.

9. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If you are running Leopard, I would suggest upgrading that card. That card will run your 2 monitors that is if you got the adapter since one of the ports is an ADC port which were used on the older Cinema Displays. They do make ADC -> DVI adapters which runs around $20-$25.

Also upgrading to the 4gb max of memory would also help you more. PC-3200 400mhz memory will work and is usually cheaper than the 233mhz that is used. Just remember to purchase and install the memory in "pairs" otherwise it won't turn on.