My TV fell on my Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joey4127, Mar 29, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

My TV fell onto my External Hard Drive. When I plug it into my computer it just makes cracking noise, so I opened it up and looked on the inside while it tried to work and the little arm that reads it goes up then makes a cracking noise and comes down. It does that for a while and it just see's it as a USB Mass Storage Device but still can't read anything on it or even open it.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Did you open the actual hard drive itself, not just the case it was in? If you can see the arm moving back and forth than I assume you did. Doing so completely voids your warranty, as I'm sure you already know. Its dead.

How exactly did your TV fall on your external drive? I'm trying to figure out how such a situation might occur and I'm at a loss here.

3. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When a hard drive is opened by a professional, they use a "clean room". Is your room a "clean room"?

6. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

My TV fell after the Earthquake..I'm in Japan and we had a 7.2 one last week.

Did the TV survive the fall?

-NO

What were you watching?

-I wasn't home

Is your room a "clean room"?

No, because the earthquake made it messy...But on the otherside, it was always messy.

Anyways...I will keep the enclosure and just get a internal HD and turn it into a external

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Good answer