My TV green with envy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, Mar 26, 2007.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

So, I flip on the ol' television and it's a commercial for some dumb movie. It only shows a field of green.
    "Must be someone down at the station screwin' up! It is nearly midnight..."
    and I flip the channel down.
    That one is also green.
    I turn it off and on, that doesn't help.
    I try to access the menu. I press the button but the familiar pink menu doesn't come on. It's still green!!

Is there any way to fix this? It's like a 8+ year old CRT TV. Worth probably like $10, if that. I've never EVER gotten NBC well, and I likes watchin' me my news and Scrubs. I could spend hours watching PBS.
    Will smacking it help?
    I could also degrade it and call it names.

I'd rather not buy a new one. They're so expensive and knowing me, I'd for a LCD and wall-mount it so save space.. then I'd be sooo tempted to get a wii. BUT I haven't been paid since Feb 16. No, really. I haven't been paid. For a month and ten days.

Any help? I can still hear what's going on but it really hurts to look at. :(

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why not buy a USB TV tuner for your Mac and spend even more time with it. :p

Oh yeah, besides, the money thing.

B

3. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Hunch over my PowerBook with an antenna, trying to view video. No thanks. :D

Also, when I'm vegged out watching the TeeVee, I turn on F@H. Might as well do something productive by proxy when I'm half-comatose. :p

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I kid.

Have you tried wiggling the cables? It's probably something simple like a weak solder joint inside the unit, but you might get some temporary improvement by reconnecting the inputs and cleaning the contacts that way.

To think that once upon a time there were people who would come to your house to repair such things...

B

5. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

It has a coax antenna input only. If I take it out, I still get a blurred out Channel 2 and channel 8 (NBC and PBS, respectively). No dice. They're green!
    *pouty face*

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i remember having the same problem once with a PC screen but there it was turning red slowly i think it it might to do something with degenerating in the alignment over time ... sometimes smacking it on the right side helped

but you can turn your tv slowly to see on what axis it might be (if it's a small and light tv ;) )

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The VSA* was invented to correct CRT television problems. Give it a good smack on the right hand side. IF that doesn't work, repeat on the left hand side. For extreme problems, smack both sides at the same time. Also worked wonders in the early 90s on computers.

*Vertical Slam Adjustment

8. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Ergh, that didn't work. Looks like I get to save up and use the VISA instead.

9. pianoman181 macrumors regular

Yes, use russian enginuity. WHACK THE **** OUT OF IT. I find with CRTs (most usually computer monitors, but TVs too) on the fritz, a good, SOLID whack to the top-right sometimes fixes the problem. Someitmes give it a few good hits.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In Soviet Russia, TV watches you!

Sorry, I had to do that :D

11. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

this happened to one of my Monitors long ago... it was a 36" crt monitor that i had a HTPC hooked up to in the living room. (monster at the time, weighed like 280 lbs :eek:) The reds just blew out one day... everything i tried to watch was blue/green. dealt with it for about 3 days and then caved...

bought a nice new shiny HDTV :) and recycled the moniter

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

:eek:

I thought my 20" was big...

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You put your right fist in
    you put your right fist out
    you put your left fist in
    and you pound it all about

You do the punchy punchy
    and you turn it upside-down
    that's what it's all about!

14. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

T'was this improv?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Reminds me of the local trailer trash.

Needs about 30 beers to make the tv punch story work...

Man punches tv

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes. This is what happens when Abstract is bored.

I was thinking about TVs when I wrote that, but come to think about it, you can apply it to babies as well.

17. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Or bread-making, what with punching down the dough and all.

but looks like I need to get a new TV. My will-be-over-in-2-weeks job owes me $441 after taxes (I estimated tax to be 15%), so I'll just get a new TV after they pay me. I'd get it now and just charge it, but I don't want to be stuck up a creek with a TV and no paddle.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Worked wonders on my last TV. Plus, it works on people too! :D

19. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

I had an old Heath Kit tv go out on me a while back. Turned it on and the screen started to pinch in the middle. It looked like an hour glass. I did the same; shake it, tilt it, slap it, punch it, kick it, broke it :rolleyes: . Needless to say I went out and got a newer TV. This was back in 1994-5. That was an old TV to begin with. It was built in the 70's by my dad. Had about 20+ years on it.

It could be that a menu setting for color has been changed. But I think your TV has gone to TV heaven seeing how you said it was green when you turned it on.

- Scott

20. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

The exact same thing happened to my family's 5 year old Toshiba set a few weeks back. It was turning green and pink, but never normal. Phoned up and a teacher from college, he said he'll take a look at it (When your old telecom / industrial electronics teacher is the Toshiba tech in town, it helps lots). I am going to go talk to him tomorrow, hopefully he fixed it, not that I really want it back after my dad bought a Sony 30HS420 HD CRT:D .

21. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

I ended up buying a 15" LCD TeeVee from target. It was on sale this week. Oh, well.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Cool, time to get your Wii on ;)

23. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

I WOULD IF I COULD!!! There aren't any in Houston! :( I'm so waiting, though! Gonna put it out in the family room so my nephew and I can play games with each other. :p
    Gonna use that thing to get all in-shape. Wii workout plan, aww ya. :)

24. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

just curious why you didn't do the craigslist thing for the TV?

Admit it, you wanted that sexy little LCD TV? Didn't you? You can tell me, I won't tell anyone...

25. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

I checked, but there weren't any really good TVs that jumped out at me.
    Also if it breaks in the first x days, I'll have somewhere to return it to. If a CL one breaks on me, I get to track down whoever sold it to me...