My Uncle works for IBM!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Apr 24, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I thought this might be of some interest... I have an uncle who works for IBM in Austin TX. Normally, I wouldn't think much of this, because IBM is such a large company, and he could work for any part of the company, but he sent my grandma a paperweight that was clear acryllic plastic with a PowerPC 604 chip in it (I'll try to get a picture soon...)

I asked my grandparents what he did at IBM, and they said he was some sort of engineer...

Does anybody know if any development being done on the 970 is being done in Austin???

If so, I need to call up my uncle (I haven't spoken to him in years, and I don't know why...) Maybe my parents know something about what he does, and they have orders to keep me from talking to him, kinda like some sort of evil Cinderella thing, where I finally find out what he does, and actually get some good info...

This is too weird...

2. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

ah! this is interesting. I just found it:

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Keep us posted!!! And, uh, try to "forget" to mention how you're going to blab it all over MR.:D

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

How bizarre! My uncle works for IBM too! But he works in the Manchester branch. Haven't asked what he does really, I'll ask him if he knows about the 970.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

kind of creepy... my uncle makes 3... he's an accountant i think, at the Rochester, MN branch... been there for about 10 years or so... pretty boring stuff, i doubt he has any inside info :)

pnw

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hmm, well it does mention microprocessor design. There's only a few microprocessors that IBM makes...

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Now that I think about it, my cousin works for IBM. In Texas. I'm not sure where though. But he's so much older than me that I think of him as an uncle.:) You could almost say 4 now.:)

8. vniow macrumors G4

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sorry. ;)

So if anyone knows anything, post it or say 'I know but I can't tell you' type thing... hehe.

10. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Doesn't every Mac User have an Uncle at IBM?

Wow. I thought it was a prerequisite for being on MR to have an uncle at IBM. Now I'm going to have to go out and rent me one. :D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is it possible that someone's uncle could work for Apple, since 4 work for IBM? It think that we are just going to have to be patient and wait till June. At least we have an announcement coming up on Monday! ;)

12. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

My uncle USED to work for IBM

He was in R&D, but he quit more than 10 years ago. Almost counts on your trend, though.