My USB adapter isn't compatible with my DG834GT wireless router. What now?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dreamkatcha, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Hi,

I've just finished setting up my wireless network. I bought a Netgear router and 2x WG111T USB adapters to share a broadband connection between two Dell PCs and a Mac Mini.

Linking up the 2 PCs was child's play, but I'm not going to be able to get the Mac Mini online because the WG111T doesn't come with Mac drivers (and won't operate without them).

I can get my money back for one of the USB adapters, that's not a problem, but then what? Would the Linksys WET11 wireless bridge work with this router?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jont5 macrumors newbie

Lack of Mac driver for WG111T

I sympathise as I've done pretty much the same thing (but with a DG834GT router + WG111T adapter bundle). I've searched long and hard for a suitable driver and there appear to be no Mac drivers for the WG111T usb wireless adapter. If you have an ethernet port on your router you could use that to link the mac mini to via an ethernet cable (assuming it has an ethernet port, but I guess all macs have them now), then use the two usb adapters for the PCs.

Cheers, Jont5

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why not just stick an Airport card in the Mac? Seems like the easy, guaranteed-to-work way

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Airport Card...

Yeah, I have never heard of USB wireless adapter working with a Mac. I second the recommendation about getting an Airport card...

5. Dreamkatcha thread starter macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Thanks for the replies. I had forgotten all about this post. It's all sorted now - what I did was connect the router to the Mac Mini as it doesn't require any drivers at all and then used the USB adapters to get the Dells online wirelessly.

I had to transfer the broadband connection from one line to another so the router cable would reach the socket, but that was a small price to pay to get it working. Well actually I made a big saving because I was able to cancel two phones lines in the process - it made sense at the time to have separate lines for dial-up connections/voice calls.

Isn't cheap broadband wonderful! :)