My venerable TiBook slowing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DbAscent94, Nov 10, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    First Specs:
    1ghz 15" TiBook (my first born child)
    512mb of ram
    60gig HD
    OSX 10.3.6

I have been using my laptop for over a year now and it is starting to slow down emensley. Not just when using a program, but also when doing normal finder stuff. I have noticed the boot time seems to have dragged out enourmously and I get more beach balls than I used. My main need for the lap top is Photoshop and Indesign. I just started my own business so money for another 512 of ram is hard to come by. When in the wondoes world when the computer got like this, i would format and reinstall. Most people don't seem to have to do this. I run repair permissions from the startup disk and cycle the logs periodically. They don't really seem to help. I also have diskwarrior which doesn't seem to do much from a maintenance standpoint. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep up my performance? 10.3 was a clean install not an upgrade and i have installed all the updates software update has recommended. Any thoughts? I have built the beginnings of a career on this laptop and stripping it down and starting over just doesnt seem like a good idea at this point.
  2. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    I personally do a clean install of OS X every 2 point updates or so. I find that adding all the updates, on top of updates tends to slow down my comp and cuase issues. In your case, since you have been running since 10.3.0, and assuming you made the recent 10.3.6 update, that's 6 point updates. I would totally recomend clean install, and then the combo updater to 10.3.6, but that's just me.

Good luck.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    Thanks laslo

I was hoping to avoid that, but i think your right. I just can't stand the spinng beachball any longer. Maybe after i do this PS CS will finall start working well and i can ditch 7.0 for good. How do i do a batch update to 10.3.6? usually I just check Software update everyonce in a while? Thanks again.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    After you do your clean install the computer will put you right into your user account, then automatically run software update (assuming you have it connected to the Internet). Just run the updates and you should be good to go.

Also, if you're going to do a clean install, I say go all the way. Back everything up, erase the drive before installing and manually reinstall everything, as opposed to copying your home directory over to your new build. I just think it works better, and if you're already going through all that trouble already.... :)
  5. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    I agree with noseen, reinstall everything, don't just backup apps, and then drag them to your apps folder of your new install, RE-install.

As far as the combo updater goes, if you go through software update, it will update from 10.3.0 to 10.3.6 in one update, and not six individual ones like before.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    may be worth running process viewer and top after running and quitting photoshop- i've had some issues with scanner and third party plugins not releasing memory and not terminating properly. that put a damper on my tibook (i have the same one as you + another 512 of RAM).
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm a newish Mac user (June 04). So far I've had no noticeable slowing down. When the time comes though, is it necessary to do a clean OS install or would creating a new user and reinstalling the apps work?
  8. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ive noticed my powerbook slowing too (rev a 12")

i tend to install a lot of small apps, and then get rid of em after trying them out, and i just finished up a rather large video project (lots of gigs) so i think the harddive could use a good formatting anyways.....

so im about to start backing my stuff up for a nice fresh install

i know i have to get my music, documents, pictures, movies all backed up

by the way whats the best way to back up your iphoto library?
    can you backup Keychain at all?

i think thats it for now....
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    backup and reinstall

i have done this once before. I did reisntall all my apps as some dont seem to like being drug all around teh place. All I really do is drag my user directory back over to get everything up and running. i have to reset all my preferences but its not a big deal.