My Venting Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I realize everyone else got over this earlier today, but I just got home and still need to vent some.

Who's ready for four more years of fear and theocracy? In Cheney's speech today he said the country was ready to continue of the path of hope and optimism, after last week telling us we'd all be radioactive dust if we voted for Kerry. Bush, in his speech, talked about faith, meaning, of course, pushing conservative Christian values onto the entirety of the population and into our laws. The funny thing is, Bush follows Jesus about as well as Osama follows Mohammed.

I'm also pissed that soundbites, bigotry and fear-mongering won over considered thought and measured response. No one ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American electorate, I guess.

Soon, I may take blackfox's advice and "chill the **** out". But not today. The country has just voted for more war, more inequality, more debt, and less accountability. 51% of the voters in this election obviously had their heads planted firmly up their asses. I can only hope the Democrats vehemently hold their ground against the swelling tide of intolerance, ignorance and isolationism.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nah... we're screwed. Unfortunetly, only half of us realize it.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sorry if this offends, but get over it. You sound like my 6 year old daughter getting upset about something that she can't do anything about.

51% had their heads up their asses? So could I say the same thing about the 49% that voted for Kerry? No, because people have opinions, and people have a voice, and that is what makes this country great. I have said many times that I was fully prepared to vote for Lieberman. But not Kerry.

We have what we have. Lets hope he changes his cabniet and brings in some democrats so that he can reach across the isles.

But, just take a deep breath, and hope that Bush will do the right thing. if not, then let him have it, but don't insult those that voted for him. That is just wrong.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

What a great point. I hate Bush pushing conservative Christian values, or any politician doing so. There is a little thing called seperation of church and state which has kept our great nation from reverting back to Inquisitions, theocracies, and religious wars. However, Bush seems to think that everyone should adhere to his religion.

It annoys me the more and more I think about it. C'mon..... promoting your faith in God and then killing 100,000 Iraqis?

What's next, is he going to start selling indulgences?

:rolleyes:

scem0

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Dude, that is BS! Seperation of church and state doesn't mean that a candidate can't have their views of religion and use their views to make their policies. What do you think everyone in office does? He doesn't try to force his religion on anyone. seperation of church and state means that the government cannot establish a national religion. IE they cannot have one church that they literally force you to go to. :rolleyes:

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't want to sound as if I think Bush is forcing us to go to church. I just think it's annoying that he goes to war while touting himself as a Christian. I can't find anything anywhere in The Bible that says 'Kill those who do wrong against you'. And the worst part is, Iraq did no wrong against us!

scem0

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm a bit rusty but isn't there plenty of "seek and destory" in the Old Testament. Or, as I like to refer to it, the Action Testament. :D

Lethal

8. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But he *is* trying to get legislation passed based on nothing more than his religious values, which coincidentally, not everyone in this country shares. And since the state is barred from forcing religious values on the citizenry, this is not a good idea, if not totally unconstitutional.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

And how quick the post-modern Christian fundamentalists are to cover those passages up. It's not often that you go into a church and they're telling you to crush you opposition.

scem0

10. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The Old Testament is all well and good, but most people in this country claim to be Christians, who are supposed to follow the *New* Testament. That's why they're labeled that way, old and new. Like the t-shirt says, "Who would Jesus Bomb?"