Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoundMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Hi,

So this will be a strange question, I work really well sitting on my couch and prior to buying a Macbook pro. I Used my windows laptop with the mouse right on the top panel. Now it did wear the plastic coating off, seeing I'm now using a macbook pro and not a cheap plastic computer I need to ask the pro's.

Has anyone used there magic mouse the same way.

Here's a picture to help show what i'm trying to explain, I can't wreck this computer and if my only solution is a mousepad then that's perfect.

33mwklg.jpg

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
I used to use my 17" MBP like that all the time, but that had a lot more surface area for mousing.

I'd think you could apply some sort of screen protector type film to the palmrest area. Maybe someone even make as product designed to cover it.

SoundMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
I used to use my 17" MBP like that all the time, but that had a lot more surface area for mousing.

I'd think you could apply some sort of screen protector type film to the palmrest area. Maybe someone even make as product designed to cover it.

Hmm I never thought of that, I was thinking a custom cut mouse pad. Now a screen protector would work fine too.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I do this occasionally but use the mouse on the arm of the sofa. Leaves the palm rest free for typing. I pretty much quit doing this when I got my iPad.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Graphic design is really hard using the track pad.

Be easier with a proper graphics tablet tbh, and if you have to use a mousepad then you have the same space as a tablet would use. I use a wacom wireless. If you use the mouse on the palmrest, dirt will get between the mouse and palm rest and it <will> get scratched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.