My views on owning a PC...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have a PC I built strictly for gaming. When I built it, I only used it for gaming. Now, it has become more then that.

I have discovered DVDxCopy, and it is the best program I have ever used. I bought the standard program yesterday, because I own a Lite-On 4x DVD Burner (+/-).

Since, I have ripped 4 BlockBuster movies, all in full 5.1/DTS audio, with menus and special features, etc.

It is awesome. My brother has been doing this for a month, and he has a whole CD wallet full of DVDs. Like 60 or something. He just borrows them from friends!

Anyways, PCs aren't THAT bad. Pretty nice actually. Only bad thing is the internet experience.

I NEED a recommendation on a GOOD PC web browser. One that blocks popups, has NO spyware, etc.

I ran Ad-Aware (good spyware finder) on my computer, and found like 40 different things. I removed them all, and my computer is literally twice as fast.

Other then that, I am glad I built a PC. I like being able to copy movies quickly. It takes about 1.5 hours from when I put in the original, to when the new copy comes out.

Forty-Two took me 24 hours...and it only made an .avi on my computer...

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says it is time to change your sig - it should read "Yo, I am a pirate".....oh yeah!

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe you should get a bumper sticker that says, "Pirates prefer PC's." :p

Lethal

4. raptorhigh macrumors member

give mozilla or firebird a try. I use mozilla on my pc and never see pop-ups.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just another reason why the view on owning a PC equals piracy.

6. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Meh, not too much. I know most people here download music illegaly. I'm sure many of you have downloaded programs by Macromedia, Adobe, etc.

I only copy movies. I don't run a server with tons of music and apps. I buy the games I play.

You could say a Mac equals piracy too. There are many ways to do this on a Mac. You can download movies on a mac. You can run illegal servers. You can download programs. The list goes on for both platforms.

I just thought it was cool because it does it in 1.5 hours!

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Pirates who try to justify their actions crack me up, too. When you start pirating movies and such, you aren't very different from the people who put spyware into programs that you despise so much. Because of people like you, I have to pay $22 for a DVD instead of $15 because the companies have to compensate for the lost sales due to piracy.

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

For a web browser: Mozilla Firebird or if you need more features, Mozilla.

While I don't think that Windows = Piracy, I think that it's easier to pirate stuff on Windows than it is on Mac OS, the best example being ripping DVD movies.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't like to pirate stuff, but when you're a student you often can't afford to buy everything. Example: I've owned a Mac for a year now, and I've been downloading heaps of pirated games. It wasn't until MacPlay had their $4 special a week ago that I actually purchased some games. But I think I might buy Office v.X, because I can get it for $135 with a free upgrade to 2004. And my aunt just gave me $500 :D

And for the record, my G4 rips and encodes DVD movies faster than my Athlon XP2000+ ever did.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I wasn't saying that Windows=Piracy but that when he goes bragging about how fast and easy it is, this is just something that can taint the view that others will have on the platform. I can't tell you how often I've heard PC users bash Macs exactly for the reason that they aren't able to pirate movies or download songs illegally as easily as on Windows. I don't see how this is a good thing.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha PowerBookG5. I can't believe that the PC users who would bash Macs would use that silly argument.

I think it is the power in the #'s. PCs, that number the majority of the world, EVEN if only 10% pirated music/videos/applications, that would still be millions upon millions of people doing it.

I also do not believe in "the end justifies the means" approach that the RIAA uses. It is sick and if anything, will spur an even more powerful reaction against their authority. It is more a means of balancing the spectrum. An all out p2p world of sharing would equate to communism. An unhindered, unregulated RIAA is equivalent to a dictatorship/1984.

PowerBookG5, where did you get the #s that if the RIAA wasn't always tracking down piracy that DVDs would be 15 instead of 22? Isn't that the same as saying CDs could have always been < 10 dollars (or insert more appropriate price with inflation/deflation of several years ago prior to Napster's appearance), but the RIAA had to waste money on Napster/Kazaa? I don't believe it would matter whether or not piracy is involved. CDs have always been overpriced (I remember paying 20 bucks, 20bucks! for a green day CD. That is ridiculous. And i have a feeling not much a % even gets handed to the artist).

Even if piracy would altogether disappear, do you honestly think that the movie industry and the RIAA would lower prices for everyone be the big industry friend it would have been all along? :(

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Glad you like your PC, now maybe you can help me in the fight aginst Mac zealots who blindly bash PC's just because "it's the thing to do". They are not that bad, in fact they are quite good. :eek:

As for a browser, get Firebird, it rawks on Windows.

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Also make sure u get the UserContent.css file with on-the-page ad blocking as well...you can find it here:

http://texturizer.net/firebird/adblock.html

(yes that includes the banner on top of MacRumors index page :) )

and here's what it looks like in action (the on-page adblocker)

*We have IE in the top left, Mozilla Firebird in the bottom right :) Whose the winner here? Not hating on verizon or anything :)

[​IMG]

15. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

1. You shouldn't be copying movies like that. I backup my own stuff because I have a toddler who likes to destroy my DVDs.

2. DVDXCopy is CRAPPITY CRAP CRAP. Much better to go with DVD Shrink (free) and burn with Nero. I can't express how much I dislike DVDXCopy.

3. 1.5 hours!?!?! I rip and burn in under 30 minutes and I know I can shave another 5-7 minutes if I upgrade to the 8x burners.

16. Spizzo macrumors 6502

You can back up a DVD on a Mac in less than an hour too, i dont see how that makes a PC better. I'm not bashing PC's, I'm actually using one now, while i am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new 17" PB tomorrow. :D

[Edit] I dont know if it's the smartest thing to go around telling everyone you are bootlegging blockbuster videos either.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Something I forgot to say when I mentioned buying/pirating games:

One of the reasons I don't buy too many games (or other software for that matter) is not due to the cost of the software, but the delivery costs. A lot of online stores in the US want to charge $20-$40 for delivery! I could buy the stuff locally, but once you add in the local store's markup, you end up paying approximately the same amount overall.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

HA! That's fantastic! I didn't know about that. Firebird is all I use on My PC's at home/work.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

What I'm gathering from MacAztec is that a PC with a DVD writer burns a DVD faster than a Mac without one (since he mentioned ripping to AVI on Mac). Gosh, I would never have guessed. :eek: Yes, you're right, PCs must be superior. :rolleyes:

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

PCs have their uses. I don't care for games on desktops - I prefer my GameCube. That said, I do like Rollercoaster Tycoon (although apparently that runs fine on Virtual PC).

We have a PC at home (only I have switched see) so I see it that I have the best of both worlds. It's healthy not to fall out of touch with Windows either, as it is what most the world uses.

Plus, yesterday I had a disaster in that I was editing my main dissertation project (a Word file) when Word v.X unexpetedly quit just as I was saving a change. Now every time I try to load it up, Word crashes about a second after I load it. Every time. Silly me was about to back it up and hadn't done so for at least 2 weeks (I only have 5 weeks before it's due). So, I slipped the file onto my USB drive and loaded it up on the uni XP computers. Changed it slightly and saved. Now it runs fine again. I NEEDED THE PC! (Although you could argue that it was Microsoft software that caused the problem!). BTW I could load it in TextEdit but none of the tables work well and I don't have any of the pictures. I'd never rely on TextEdit!

I could say my next family's PC being a Mac, as our new Dell will run everything they would ever need for years to come. PCs and Macs in harmony. That's the future.

21. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Piracy isn't always as bad as it seems...

if it was detrimental to the bottom line then why did CD sales increase in the UK by 8% last year.

I'm a perfect example of a good pirate. When I started using Macs as a student in 1993 there was no way in the world I could afford 99% of the apps available. So what did I do, I borrowed a copy off of a friend. This enabled my to learn Photoshop, Macromind Director etc.

Without access to these pirated applications I probably wouldn't be working in and supporting the industry like I am at the moment. Just in the last month I have purchased the following:

1. Upgrade to Realviz Stitcher 4.0 - £180
    2. Upgrade to Studio MX2004 pro - £470
    3. Upgrade to PS CS - £160
    4. Upgrade to SQL 4X man ent - £70
    5. Roxio Toast 6.0 - £70
    6. Cinema 4D 8RXL bundle - £1500
    7. iLife 4.0 - £40

plus a few other bits and pieces. That's almost £2500 on software that I may not have purchased otherwise.

I also copy 90% of DVDs that I rent, this may technically be illegal but I would NEVER have purchased them upfront anyway. In fact this has actually increased the number of DVDs that I purchase. If I really like a movie that I've watched a couple of times then I'll buy it.

I just worked out that since I started copying my rentals I've purchased more than 3X as many DVDs.

So to all you big do gooders out their wake up.

22. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

it's one thing to pirate movies, music, software, whatever --i'm not judging "let he with no sin cast the first stone" or whatever the line is

but

to blatantly go on the internet and post about how easy it is, on any platform, thats like giving the RIAA and all the other regulatory agencies "a license to kill"

as far as the communism to dictatorship analogy i read earlier in an earlier post, your thinking is right ... just he better comparison would be communism to fascism or authoritarianism since from what i gather your trying to have an analogy for a social structure --
    the reason i mention it is because you can have a dictatorship in both structures

23. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

It's not the fault of all the people who earn their living from movies and music that the distribution/marketing middlemen get most of the cut. But it IS the fault of everyone who makes or downloads a free copy of that movie or music that the people who created the work don't get even their small pittance from that "free" copy.

Just because the RIAA are bastards doesn't make it okay to deprive the artists out of whatever they DO get from each copy sold.

And as to the "but I can't afford it" whine....Then don't buy it. Whatever happened to the concept of paying for something that someone else made? What, just because you don't have the cash, everything should be free for you?

24. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I must agree with several of the posts here (edesignuk, et al). Macs aren't hands down better than pc's. I personally have both. My winbox runs XP on a 533 amd, and my emac has a 700 G4. I use the XPbox sometimes, but prefer the mac for its reliability and OS. Although, XP is pretty decent- except for web browsing. IE is the worst program gates and co ever made.

I'll check out mozilla soon.

The mac community is far superior to the pc community, though. pc zealots are generally rude, mac zealots are at least nice (although both are arrogant). If I had to pick one to use every day I'd go with the mac. I just like it better.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nuts, someone beat me to it. Agreed. If you can't afford it save up for it or just don't buy it. Just because something exists doesn't mean you must own it. Just because something exists means you are entitled to have it for free.

I know there is a retail mark-up to cover/help offset the cost of theft and it would only make sense that there is an added charge to offset the cost of pirates. How much that mark-up is I don't know. Also, instead of pinning the price of CDs and DVDs on the RIAA or the Hollywood Studios why don't you look at the retailers. I can go to Best Buy and pay $13 or $14 for a CD ($9.99 if its a new release) and the same CD is selling for $19 or $20 at Frye's Music in the mall. I can go to Blockbuster and pick up the latest DVD for $23.99 or I can go to Wal-Mart and get it for $18.99. If you are paying $20 for a typical CD you need to shop someplace else. You're not spending $20 on a CD because of the RIAA. You're spending $20 on a CD because you shop at stores that jack-up the prices.

Lethal