My Website

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5Unit, Apr 4, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    It is horrably slow... Is this due to the free web hosting?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Nice site G5Unit. You may want to add more rules though - maybe change 'no bad words' to no offensive language or something so that it encompasses polite but personal bashing.

What exactly sets it apart from Macrumors? What's it's focus? You might want to make this clearer too because I'm pretty sure it's the 'tips' part but it could maybe be clearer. :)
  4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    It wouldn't even load for me.

phpBB is cool though! I really like some of the vB features, but that costs money and phpBB is free. If you are running OS X or Win XP Pro and have a cable modem you can host your phpBB board from home.

I run my boards on my home PC. You have to know a bit about configuring the database/web servers. There are plenty of guides on the internet - it is not too hard. The most important thing is to lock down IIS/Apache and keep up on the security updates. My Comcast internet has a dynamic IP address, but it only changes 2-3 times a year. I use as a DNS host and my router supports DDNS to keep it updated, so I get great uptime for my board and its purpose.

It is just a private board for me and about a dozen of my college buddies to keep in touch now that no two of us live within 50 miles of one another. Works great and helps us keep our sense of community even though we're spread thoughout the US and Japan now. We still do emails and phone calls, but it's just not the same as a board. My experience on MR helped inspire me to set it up. Thanks MR!