My wee iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Shaun.P, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I have a problem with the screen on my CRT iMac: it's sort of wobbling/shaking ever-so-slightly!

Any ideas to what this could be? Is it serious?

It's sort of like the effect when you have a cellphone call coming through (the way it distorts the screen). I'm beginning to get worried. I bought the Mac out of PC World and got a 5 yr warranty, can I still get it fixed even if the receipt is lost, i.e. will they have my details on record?

Thanks.

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Did you get a warranty from PC World, or from AppleCare? PC World should honor any warranty that you buy as long as you didn't do anything to void it. My LaCie CRT is beginning to do this as well...I'm not sure what the cause is.

3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

It's definetely through PC World, because it's 5 years, and AppleCare only is for 3 years.

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Oh yeah...duh. Brain fart.

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The good majority of companies do keep customer files on record, etc. I would expect that PCWorld does the same.

6. joetronic macrumors 6502

do you have a fan anyware close the the monitor. I was having this happen a while ado, and it was the small fan I had sitting around 3ft from the monitor.

7. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

8. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Try moving the computer to a different position in the room/house. Shaking screens can be caused by electrical interference such as conduits inside the wall, even multi plug boxes affixed to the underside of the table.

I have dealt with this effect a number of times. Moving the computer may fix the problem, if it doesn't it means your PAV board is dying.

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'll try that later.

Something has happened. My room wasn't cold, but I've put my heater on, and now my room is very hot - the shaking has stopped....I don't know if this has anything to do with it?

10. sgarringer macrumors regular

Yes, try moving it. Preferably to somewhere on a different electrical circiut. It may be something with your homes electricity.

11. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

It's quite common and doesn't normally point to a CRT problem. It's usually caused by having the computer too close to another piece of electrical machinery. Apple's support pages have this to say: