Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
My wife has been treasurer for our son's Pre-K PTA/HSA. Does this make us eligible for the Edu discount? I want to purchase online.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
sigamy said:
My wife has been treasurer for our son's Pre-K PTA/HSA. Does this make us eligible for the Edu discount? I want to purchase online.

Very much doubt it. Pretty sure you have to be a member of the teaching staff.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
So, you are related to someone who works for a group who works WITH educators?

I dont see a connection anywhere to being a student or educator.

Thusly, no discount.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
sigamy said:
To buy for yourself, first choose your category.

College or university student
College or university faculty, administration, or staff member
K-12 teacher or staff member

which one did you want to qualify?

MattyMac said:
No...you should be eligible I remember reading that PTA members count.

elected PTA executives and whatever are eligible, but not in Pre-K, it's like saying, "i babysit kids, am i eligible?"

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
From the K-12 teacher and staff qualifications:

Apple said:
Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

PTA members are eligible, but not at the Pre-K level. In order to access the educational store, you need to select the school from their database.

So it looks like she's close but no cigar. If you wait until your son is in kindergarten and she serves on the PTA there, she would appear to be eligible.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
And, of course, the dirty little unspoken secret here: if you order online and don't do anything outlandish, they probably aren't going to hold up your order. I actually am a student, but I've never had an online order stopped for proof. It's all random (though I assume there are red flags - like a student ordering a $5k Mac Pro and two 30" ACDs).

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
WildCowboy said:
From the K-12 teacher and staff qualifications:

PTA members are eligible, but not at the Pre-K level. In order to access the educational store, you need to select the school from their database.

So it looks like she's close but no cigar. If you wait until your son is in kindergarten and she serves on the PTA there, she would appear to be eligible.

Thanks for the honest answer to my legimate question. Our Pre-K is affiliated to our school district which lead to my question.

As for some of the other replies above, which I'm seeing more and more of here on macrumors, thanks for the smart *** comments.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I still fall in the gray area when it comes to educational discounts, so I often have to read the fine print a few times. I'm a volunteer board member of a merged PTA-Booster Club. My position is approved by the PTA board; I'm not sure if that means I'm "elected", "appointed", or neither. I don't get paid but I've worked up to 20 hours a week in this role. And the school considers me to be their "Technology Coordinator" and has given me a letter to that effect on their letterhead.

So I have an identity crisis every time I consider these types of discounts. Often, I give up trying to figure it out and ask the vendor to tell me if I qualify.

Carson

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Port townsend Wa
Apple never checks the dame Ed discounts anyway. Just go and buy one from the education online apple store. I know tons of people that have done it

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Carson said:
Apple never checks the dame Ed discounts anyway. Just go and buy one from the education online apple store. I know tons of people that have done it

Never? That's definitely not true. I haven't been checked, but I know several people who have. Apple's already done away with the educational discount for iPods. Don't ruin the computer discount for those who are eligible to receive it.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Doctor Q said:
So I have an identity crisis every time I consider these types of discounts.

In doing this much work for your school district you've earned that discount, Q. When you give so much you're allowed to take a little ...

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Carson said:

Never, huh? Well, I've been checked, TWICE! And I've only ordered 4 times EVER from the Apple store.

I first got checked when I purchased my PowerBook in August 2005.

Then, I got checked when I purchased the USB power brick for my iPod.

So, they do check. Randomly, but they do check. Price, quantity, etc... doesn't matter.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Since they never check just buy it with the EDU discount anyway, it is not like you are going to pay 10% extra just because some people on the forums tell you that you are not eligible :rolleyes:

If they do call you to check, then argue with them that your wife is the treasurer of some K-9 school board. They will probably end up hanging up confused :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
thedude110 said:
In doing this much work for your school district you've earned that discount, Q. When you give so much you're allowed to take a little ...
Unfortunately, that's not how it works, and I try to play by the rules. If they listen to your personal story and decide to give you a discount, that's up to them, but by the rules I often don't qualify.

I've found that small companies are more lenient than big vendors when you explain your situation and ask if you qualify for an educational discount.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Unfortunately, that's not how it works, and I try to play by the rules. If they listen to your personal story and decide to give you a discount, that's up to them, but by the rules I often don't qualify.

I've found that small companies are more lenient than big vendors when you explain your situation and ask if you qualify for an educational discount.

Q, it certainly seems from your description of your position that you've been "appointed" to the position. But yes, sometime it's best just to ask a company rep and document your conversation with them.

Mackeyser

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa, FL
Well, the easiest way is just to buy it "for" your child. Granted, it means waiting for Kindergarten, but...
Edit: no, I was wrong, it is only college students and K-college faculty. The only way to get it other than that is to be an elected member of a PTA/PTO or a certified Home School.

As for not getting checked, I know for a fact that they DO. I play by the rules, so it didn't bite me, but not following the rules has consequences.

What intrigued me is that "certified Home Schools" qualify. My wife and I are considering home schooling and that would be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.