My wife's is better..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cungee, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Cungee macrumors newbie

My wife and I each have a MacBook Pro.
    Hers is slightly newer but the same model and WILL open "MySpace" with Safari.
    Mine WILL NOT open "MySpace" with Safari plus some other sites.
    Do I need to run some sort of virus scan?
    I was under the impression this was unnecessary with a Mac.

Please help meeee...

Oh yeah,No she wont let me use hers!:p

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NO virus scan...

Try repairing disk permissions (open disk utility)

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You might consider doing the old switch when she is off shopping.

4. Cungee thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

Thanks for the prompt reply guys,
    disk repair didnt do it and my screen has the red wine stain,,,,hence 2 laptops (shed notice allright!)
    Works great though!

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you're close, take it to an apple store, they may fix it for you. Try firefox and see if the sites work...

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I don't know, Myspace has always been a bit, stubborn when it comes to Safari.

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Yea myspace doens't play very well with Safari. Hence, Myspace is evil. See this thread

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, now, basic stupid questions... Do you have Flash installed on both computers? Flash is so heavily used on MySpace that it will be fairly wonky without it.

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It's not a matter of flash. It's a matter of overloading the page with garbage that it takes forever to load. I'm on broadband and it still horrible.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Have you run Software update on your MBP? It's possible her version of Safari is a slightly newer version....

Just a thought.

11. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

You have the better computer... It won't let you log on to that hideous place :rolleyes:

Any chance she has a slighty newer version of Safari? or more RAM?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Come on now, okay, you don't like MySpace. Fine. Don't like MySpace. There are several threads on MR already which are designed specifically for you to describe your 1337 dislike for MySpace.

But the OP is saying that a number of sites simply do not work on his computer, including MySpace. Granted that many pages on MySpace use horrible coding and only display properly on MSIE because they were generated using backwards techniques. But if MySpace isn't working at all, there's something different going on. MySpace has worked on Safari since before Tiger.

And MySpace loads on an iBook G4/800. So this also has nothing to do with speed.

If the OP can't get the page to load at all, something is wrong or not installed on this person's computer. End of story. And the story has nothing to do with how much you hate MySpace. :rolleyes:

13. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

There are so many things that could be wrong, could you post a screen capture of what exactly is happening.

To get a screen capture press Apple + Shift + 3 and post the picture it creates on your desktop.

--Cheers

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Most likely a plug-ins issue.

Create another OS X user, logging in as that new user and try hitting those sites again.

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

mkrishnan - I was not talking about the flash problem in regards to the OP. That is my fault. Clearly there is something wrong with Safari (ie missing plugin, as you said). Sorry about the myspace thing, I really do have a disdain for it. It also clearly blinds my rationale. My apologies kind sir.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You may also want to check under Safari->About Safari between your wife's and your computer. Also do a comparison under Help->Installed Plug-ins.

Between these two it might give a good clue what you are missing. If all else fails quit Safari, find the prefs file, and move it somewhere else. The next time you launch it should create a new prefs file eliminating all of your custom settings and putting you back to ground zero. If it works then you can start figuring out which settings have been changed to cause the problem. If it still doesn't work quit Safari and copy your old prefs back. Don't ask me where the prefs are hidden, I only know they exist somewhere. Someone else on this board can probably point you to them.

17. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Click the desktop then from the Go menu choose Go to.. and type ~/Library/Preferences/ once there use the search field to find the file for safari.

18. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

Try this...

Try creating a new test account on each computer, and without changing any settings in the respective accounts, give the MySpace page a try. If they both behave the same way then the issue is with your preferences. If they still behave differently, I'd suspect a difference on the system level, such as something you or she has installed that's running in the background, a network setting of some sort, etc.

Let us know how it goes.

19. Cungee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everybody for the advice, I will try it all and get back to you.
    It might take a while though as Im chasing a 2yr old round all day and a newbie on Mac.

To MySpace hater.....
    Yes it is possible that the rapid increase in internet communication devices is directly proportionate to general decline in society.....but there is some funny stuff on there!

20. Quboid macrumors 6502

I have a similar bizarre problem with messenger on my mac as opposed to my house mate's. My mac just won't allow you to sign into messger using an hotmail address.:mad: