My Wii review (we bought a Wii!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by zero2dash, Feb 26, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The story:
    Last Thursday after work I drove up to Walmart to pick up some household goods/staples...toilet paper, tooth paste, cat litter/cat food. Every time I go to Walmart, I always walk around electronics for awhile and just gawk at the stuff that I'd love to have but can never afford. :) So I do my usual stroll through the game section, eyeball some 360 stuff/see what's new and come to the Wii cases. I figure "they probably don't have any" but I look anyway. Lo and behold...a Wii! 1 system left. The first thought to my mind is "wow, today's my lucky day!"

I then proceed to stand in front of this case (within reaching distance, say 2 feet) and pull out my cell to text message my wife to ask if we can get it. Ah, the finer points of marriage, eh? :p j/k
    me: Walmart has Wii systems
    she replies 'no f'n way'
    ya want it
    'I don't care as long as the bills are paid you know my rule'
    everything's paid up through Feb., I get paid next week too
    'Sure get it'

While I was sending these messages back and forth, I noticed someone walk over, look into the case from the corner of my eye, and walk away. I then turn to see that its a Walmart employee walking away. So I finish my texting and go tell the guy "I want to buy the Wii system you have". He then turns to the other 2 employees working back there and asks "when'd we get Wii's in", the other guy said 'just a little while ago'. He comes over and opens the case and grabs it, I mention I'll buy Zelda as well (no doubt there), and tell him I have more shopping to do, can he hold it for 5 minutes to which he said "no problem". (If he would have protested, I would've paid for it then and had them hold it, but I would've rather had everything on one receipt.) He then tells me "I didn't see one in there, a lady just asked if we had any and I came over to look and didn't see one". So then I put two and two together and realize...it may be because I was standing right in front of the thing that he didn't know they had one left. :D Truly a lucky day.

While they're ringing me out, a call gets transferred to them which the other guy takes and he says the person on the phone wants to know if they have any Wii systems, the guy ringing me out says "we're selling our last one right now" and I was like 'holy crap am I lucky'. I wasn't able to get component cables but for the time being...I'll live. Anyhow I had another agreement with my wife about it. I'd buy it and check our bank balance/bill notes when I got home before we open it and if we can't afford it, we'll take it back (but hopefully we won't have to). Well, we didn't have to and we got to keep it.

First impressions/opening the box:
    IMO they fit a lot into a box that small. The system has some good mass to it. For a console as small as it is, you can tell they packed a lot into it because it's heavier than you'd think for it's size. Nevertheless...it's very small. The white is gorgeous. Normally I'm not a "looks" whore but good god the Wii is a sexy beast. I've now officially joined the "I'm an Apple white whore" group. :D

This is the first console I've bothered to look at the instructions on hooking it up. LOL albeit briefly

The controller is tiny. Smaller than I imagined. I knew it'd be small, but I didn't imagine this small. No problems though, it's not like I have Incredible Hulk 'man hands'. :D

Had to re-hook up my Linksys WRT54G that I had unplugged just a day earlier since I no longer have my laptop and therefore nothing that uses wireless. Well I do now of course..the Wii. Get it all connected (I'll post my console code later), and start playing around. Make my Mii, play some Wii sports. I spent a good 45 min-1 hour on bowling. 195 high game so far (real life high score - 230...used to bowl on leagues during grade school). Bowling is my favorite thus far.

I haven't played Twilight Princess yet, I'm letting my wife play it right now 'cause she's wanted it more than me since they announced it and I've got 3 or 4 other games I'm trying to finish (or beat again, as in the case of God of War on God mode). Don't get me wrong though...I can't wait to play TP.

Final impressions:
    Well I never expected to get a Wii this soon, let alone while I was at a store last week. It was basically a "they have one, I'll buy it and hold onto it for now" sort of thing. If it wasn't as cheap as it is - I would've never bought it. But, as I've said before: the Wii has a lot of potential and promise, I just hope Nintendo follows through this time.

The console's menu system is excellent. Simple yet elegant. Nintendo + Apple merger rumors couldn't seem more true (even though those rumors have long been unfounded). The Weather Channel/News Channels are very nice to have, the Opera browser is excellent (we spent a good 30 minutes on YouTube, the first video I tried to see if the browser would play the video was the Vista "Security" Get A Mac ad :D). I can't wait to get some Wii points + a classic controller and buy Link to the Past and Super Mario World...as soon as they put up Super Metroid, there's my 3 favorite SNES games right there and I'll die a happy man. The Vote channel is fun as well.

Our next purchase will be Wii Play + controller (I'll gladly pay $10 for some more "minigames"), I think our next game purchase will probably be Excite Truck and then Wario Ware or Rayman for the minigame factor.

I haven't had any problems with running the system through composite A/V. I want a component cable so I can take advantage of the progressive scan, but the composite isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I'm pleased with the system thus far because it's fun. It may not have the graphics of the 360 sitting a foot away but it has a lot of fun to make up for the graphical shortcomings. I never had a problem to begin with in relation to the Wii graphics though...I knew the Wii was a "gameplay = most important" console beforehand.

I'll post my console code later.

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

Congrats on your purchase, z2d. I hope you enjoy it as much as your 360.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats a funny story...something like that happen to me when I got my DS lite/PSP....lucky thing I don't think twice about things like that..when I see it..I'm calling the clerk over right away to get it:)

Congrats on your purchase..

Bless

4. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Thanks for the congrats fellas :)
    I forgot to mention that I was playing some Baseball with my daughter Thursday night as well. She was all excited and everything so I told her to stand in front of me (looking to our left to see the tv, like you'd stand while playing baseball in real life). She stood in front of me, I had her hold the Wiimote and then I put my hands around hers so she wouldn't drop it (but I also had the beefed-up wrist strap on as well). We played for 10-15 minutes, she had a blast.

I've got to get some pictures of her holding the Wiimote and also the Guitar Hero guitar to post up sometime. She just turned 2 in December but I'm starting her early on her gaming skills. :D I've got some pictures of her playing Marble Blast Ultra, I'll have to post those also.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just make sure she uses the wrist strap.

I introduced my Wii to friends about a month ago when they were thinking of buying one for their 7 year olds birthday.

They liked it and agreed to get him one a couple weeks later, which they did.

The first night they got it they set it up and let him play with his dad and everything was fine. Then the parents went off. 30 minutes later there was a bang. The young fella had chucked the wii-remote at their new LCD TV bought at christmas. Half the picture was gone, a few seconds later the whole screen blank.

You can barely see the small scratch where the wii remote hit the screen, but it still means they can't get it replace on waranty as it was not hardware fault but their own accidental fault.

Sad thing is I repeatedly told them the night they came up to try mine, to make sure they put the strap on the wrist, especially with a young child...

anyway to cut a long story short.... enjoy playing with your wii zero2dash but make sure you use protection ;)

6. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

We're too afraid to let her play it on her own. I'm sure we'd hear a similar crash and something would end up broken. :D She's already bitten the end off of at least 2 DS styluses/stylii (?) while playing Nintendogs.

The funny (yet bad) thing is now she walks around swinging the PsOne pad [like a mace] which she's already been yelled at about several times. :D

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MUST GET COMPONENT CABLES! Sorry to shout, but they make a big difference on Zelda!

8. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Trust me man, I'm hunting them down. :D
    When I checked Thursday, no one had any in stock. I'll probably just get them straight from Nintendo and get it over with rather than driving around like a mad man. :)

9. Wallace25 macrumors member

Wallace25

The Wii is defenitly worth it. Even if the graphics arent as good, it is entertaining. I just hope they put out a lot of games with depth like Zelda. Wii sports is fun but not much depth.

10. bwanac macrumors regular

Lucky man, I took my friend around to Best Buy, Target, Gamestop, EB, Walmart, and Circuit City only to find nothing. Good thing I got mine on launch. Such a fun system, its just sad many of my Gamecube games look better than the Wii games.

11. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I ordered the official Nintendo Wii component cables from Amazon -- arrived in 2 days. Can't wait to get them hooked up later tonight.

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

The GC was a great system for its time in terms of hardware. Better load times than PS2 counterpart games, too.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

zero2dash, if you don't mind going with 3rd party stuff, Walmart had/has some Psyclone component cables for the Wii. I picked them up for $20 and they look fine to me.

That's one thing I'm really happy about this time around, is that more than just Nintendo are producing component cables.

And congrats on the purchase.

14. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Good job on finding the Wii! My favorite Wii Sport game is Tennis, but then again that is my favorite in real life. As for Wii Play, the minigames are definitely underwhelming. It's worth $10 though. I also like WarioWare much more than Rayman. I got Rayman as my second game and I haven't touched it in about a month. And, Wii Sports has still held it's replay value for me even after 2 months. :)

I had a hard time finding my Wii too. Finally in January my friend called me and said that the local GameStop had 2 Wii. I rushed there and got one, and luckily my friend also did.

15. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Got my Wii last week and boy, are my arms sore from playing tennis. They should have included a warm up routine... I'll get Wii Play next week, just for the extra controller...

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Supuer Monkey Ball hammer-throw, wreaked major havoc on my arm and shoulder. I was sore for 2 days. :)

I watched a segment about that guy that lost 9 pounds in a month just by playing his Wii for 30 minutes a day.

<]=)

17. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

good luck with finding wii play.... when i was in line at circuit city, i made a plan with this dude so that he would go to the game section and get 2 wii plays and i would hold his spot in line.... it worked out and he said they only had 4 so it was pretty sweeeeet... now.... if only if i could find a nunchuck :(

18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Nice review. I bought mine the second week and had to wait 5 hours in the cold for it but still no regrets. Its a fun little machine.

Excite Truck is a good game. I enjoyed it when I rented it but haven't purchased it yet because I'm a broke college student...Wario Ware and Rayman are fun too with Wario Ware being better IMO. Also, I liked Madden if you like it and you don't already have it on your 360.

If you haven't had a party and invited some friends over to play yet you will have tons of fun with it...

19. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts :)

Holy cow ain't that the truth. :D
    Last night my arms finally started getting sore from Bowling/Tennis.
    My wife and brother in law have both already said their arms hurt after some extended Boxing play. LOL we're a bunch of out of shape potatoes :p

I found one the other day, just didn't pick it up. I was still awaiting the shock of seeing how much money had been sucked out of the checking account. :)

Thanks and thanks again for your Excite Truck impressions. I think we'll go rent some games this weekend and check them out.

As for the party...my buddy keeps saying we should have a bunch of people over and have a drinking/Wii party. At first I think that's a good idea but then I realize that I'm sure at some point there's going to be at least one flying Wiimote, so...yeah, probably not a good idea. :D