My WoW Experience Update

Discussion in 'Games' started by DrStrangelove, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Last week I purchased WoW and a bunch of you guys helped me to understand what I was getting myself into. Now... I simply don't have the time to devote to it as some of the others I've come across, but I have been playing and I have been committed and I really, really enjoy it so far.

I got on last night at about 10PM and the next thing that I knew it was 2:30AM and I honestly had no idea where the time went. It was amazing- it was as if I was hypnotized for 4.5 hours without any regard to what was going on outside of the game. The addiction begins.

Lets hope I'm able to keep my job, wife and children as my top 3 priorities. ;)

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Your only hope is to get your wife addicted too and hope Social Services don't take your kids...:D

It's too late for you, but you may still see level 60 before you starve to death, so it's not all doom and gloom

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that would be funnier if it weren't so terribly close to the truth.

4. Quantum Man macrumors member

Hahaha, definitely the most addicting game I've ever played too. Just remember to eat, sleep every now and then, and don't be too shocked by a big, bright yellow thing in the sky.

5. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

6. cairo macrumors regular

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

My friend left his job because of WoW, its sad to be honest but thats what he wanted. Now he sits home all day playing WoW. Just dont let that happen to you.

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Nows the part where you say april fools or he's only sixteen though so his life isnt deystroyed yet.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Woah your sky is yellow woo hoo inter planetarey gaming begins.

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I try everyday to get my wife to start playing this game. "We should share our interests"....stuff like that :) No go yet. It will happen though. This game is addictive and fun, and the new weather is pretty cool. I've gotten my priest up to Lvl 41 now. Lvl 251 herbs and lvl 282 enchant (quit skinning). Too much time spent on this game.......
    or not enough?

11. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Ha! If I mention anything other than our children, our house, shopping or dining out my wife looks at me puzzled as if she has NO idea what I'm talking about.

Okay, that's not entirely true, but I know enough NOT to try and involve her in video games. Especially ones as consuming as WoW.

12. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

After my 60 hunter (decked out in blue and purple), and my 60 rogue (also garbed in blue), I realized that I had to stop! I made the one-year mark and just stopped. I did use horrible server lag and lack of small-group instance development as rationalized reasons to quit, but deep down I knew it was quit...or go another year. So, I cancelled the autobill, said goodbye to the guild, sent some unbound goods to friends and deleted the rest from the 'puter. I get the itch to reinstall just thinking about it! <shudder>

Of course, my wife doesn't miss it! ;) I'm happy to say that it wasn't an issue between us that drove me to stop. She might get some credit for inadvertently pointing out the rest of the world when I was away from the game.

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It was my wife who got me into WoW in the first place, her brother plays a lot and she got hooked on the 10 day free trial.

We'd been playing stuff like Baldur's Gate before, but WoW is an order of magnitude above that.

I have it down to 2 or 3 evenings a week now and maybe a saturday or sunday afternoon run, I try to play when my wife does, so it evens out, but I must say I'd still spend a lot more time on it if i could.

Cyberdot..... You know Blizzard keep all your character info permanently don't you?

14. Motley macrumors 6502

It's funny, I got my brother a copy of WoW when it came out and then he got me copy so we could play online together. I was really into it for a few months and played with all my free time (which wasn't much between work, studying for professional engineer exam, and a minimum of an hour of exercise).

But then around level 45 something funny happened, I realized I wasn't having fun anymore. I just walked away that day and never had any problems with it. Now I see my brother planning multi-hour multi-day raids and am glad I quit, I would have hated the high end stuff.

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I was in the beta and would consider myself a causal player; maybe 10 hours a week. During vacation though, I was constantly online. I have three 60s and a handful of alts in the 20-40 range.

Even so, I've considered quitting recently, if only to try to put some "balance" back into my life; I also spend a lot of time playing games on my 360, which is excellent for just spending a few hours relaxing. WoW is more of a...second life?

I have a friend who dropped out of school to play WoW at night. He says once he gets a character to 60 he'll start school again. :rolleyes:

Another friend realized he spent too much time and mailed all his items to a mutual friend, deleted all of his characters, uninstalled the game, and then destroyed the CDs! :eek: He knew the temptation to play would be too strong.

Not sure I could ever do that. ;)

16. sixstorm macrumors regular

I'm about a week away from buying my new iMac and wanted to try WoW out. But, I had one quick question. How much free time do you get when you buy the software? I would hate to have to buy a 2 month card right off the bat. WoW looks like a ton of fun and very addicting.

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Used to be a 30 day free subscription with the game, plus a 10 day free trial for a "friend" so you could get 40 days.

Don't know if this is still in effect.

You don't have to pay any more till that expires.

18. Quantum Man macrumors member

You get 1 month free with the purchase of the game, as well as the 10-day trial key for a friend. I just bought the game 2 1/2 weeks ago.

19. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Shhh...yes...but I'm surppressing the thought! ;) Good move on their part, since the jones keeps flickering in and out, but the deletion of the game install, my ui-mods and the rest make it harder for me to just sit down and start it all again with a payment.

It was all the 20-40 player high end content that burned me out. I told them as much when I quit. The thing I thought was funny was that they wouldn't just let me quit with an online form, I had to call in and tell them to cut the cord! Then I got a chance to sound like a complete WoW geek, to my own ears, by telling them which parts of the game were lacking.

It truly was a great time while it lasted, but nothing beat that feeling of post-beta startup, lvl 1, walking out onto the fields of Mulgore...mooo.

/salute Cuthburt, lvl 60 Tauren Hunter
    /salute Aphasia, lvl 60 Troll Rogue (I should've gone undead...)

/dance

20. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I just started a week ago. Im a level 10 warrior Harcos. Im in a guild, Saphire something....haha dont remember. But keep an eye out for me.