Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
The top case on my MacBook decided to crack along the wrist-rests recently, and I discovered that the impromptu fix I did to cover that up actually stopped the razor-sharpness as well - two strips of black insulating tape.

Plus I now can't mistake anyone else's MB for mine. :p

jakepa2001

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
My wrists hurt too!

Yes, I suffer from the sharp edges problem on my macbook pro, and also the hairs on the underside of my wrists get painfully caught in the small gap between the edge of the top panel and the side edge.

I too am flabbergasted that mac would design such an unergonomical machine. How hard would it have been to have a nice smoothing off edge like pretty much every other laptop I've ever seen. It seems like a symptom of something I've suspected about mac for a while - trying too hard to be trendy at the expense of useability.

I like the machine, in that it will run logic pro nicely with my soundcard, and I like that it's based on linux, but come on! Maybe get a few test users to actually use the product to see if it has any design flaws? Grrrr... :mad:

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
sandpaper-1.jpg

HAHAHHAHAH that made me ROFL like i've NEVER before!!!!

PURE AWESOMENESS! :D:apple:

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
additionally, if you type PROPERLY, your wrists should NOT touch the casing (unless you want carpel tunnel syndrome - your hands should not be touching the edge at all, and this actually increases your comfort and typing speed, (once you get used to it :)

cristo

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
additionally, if you type PROPERLY, your wrists should NOT touch the casing (unless you want carpel tunnel syndrome - your hands should not be touching the edge at all, and this actually increases your comfort and typing speed, (once you get used to it :)

I thought that: my wrists don't touch the computer, and if they do they only very gently rest there.

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
The top case on my MacBook decided to crack along the wrist-rests recently, and I discovered that the impromptu fix I did to cover that up actually stopped the razor-sharpness as well - two strips of black insulating tape.

Plus I now can't mistake anyone else's MB for mine. :p

Thanks for the tip.
I've found the sharp edges of the MB annoying as well.
Also now the plastic around the keyboard is splintering around the edges.
Apple R&D really dropped the ball when they engineered this laptop.
IBooks and PowerBooks were so nice to use.
I hate the MacBook almost enough to switch back to PCs just to be able to have a quality machine again like a Lenovo/IBM.
It's really sad how Apple has hosed so many of their loyal customers with this stinking junk.:mad:

jakepa2001

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks everyone for setting me straight about how I should be using my macbook. After umpteen courses at various work places on ergonomics I guess the message still hadn't sunk in.

No longer will I come home and attempt to surf the web for a few minutes sitting on my comfortable couch after a hard day at work. I will sit in a straight back chair staring straight ahead and making 100% sure that every angle that should be 90 degrees is exactly 90 degrees. Never will my wrists or arms come close to touching the edges of the macbook.

Thanks mac for imposing such a stiff penalty on my erroneous behavior and thank you for incentivising me so strongly to correct it. In fact, I think I might sharpen the edges of my macbook further.

Or is it possible that mac should have foreseen that not everyone is going to use their macbook in the most perfectly ergonomic way possible and made allowances for that? In fact, I don't think they were even thinking about how it was going to be used. They just thought it looked cool and didn't bother to test it out.

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Why is everyone joking around in this thread? This is a serious issue guys...The problem is that you have girl hands, change that and your hands wont hurt anymore.

This should give you an idea of what to do.

(Yes, that is a chemical burn. Yes, it will hurt more than any burn and it will leave a scar.)
chemical_burn.jpg

jacksam101

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Crewe (UK)
I had the exact same problem and had the exact same marks on my forearms. The problem comes from using the MacBook in bed. On a desk is usually not a problem. It bothered me so much I had to trade it in... for store credit... currently waiting for 24" iMacs to show up in Canada. If it wasn't for the pain, I'd have kept the MacBook. It's a solid machine, I was very impressed.

You will have more problems trying to balance the 24" iMac on the bed!!! probably worse marks as a result

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I've noticed this from time to time when typing on my MacBook somewhere other than my desk. The solution is to adjust your typing posture.

At my desk I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so it is never an issue there.

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
ruku, did you have the sharp edges problem with your wrists before you bought this? From the images I'm not convinced it would help, so I'm interested if it provided alleviation for you? Thanks!

i did notice how sharp the edges were but i wasnt bothered by it, but when i saw this thread i tried to rub my wrists there and found that it had no affect at all. its as blunt as politicians sex appeal. the edge of the case raises about a millimetre higher than the edge of the sharp plastic lip and you wont notice any discomfort i reckon.

jakepa2001

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
My solution

i did notice how sharp the edges were but i wasnt bothered by it, but when i saw this thread i tried to rub my wrists there and found that it had no affect at all. its as blunt as politicians sex appeal. the edge of the case raises about a millimetre higher than the edge of the sharp plastic lip and you wont notice any discomfort i reckon.

Thanks Ruku. I'll look into the case you mention.

In the meantime, I have my own solution that is working pretty well for me. I cut the toes off a pair of socks and wear them folded double round my wrists, so they are like wrist bands (I guess I could have just got wrist bands).. I don't care that it looks stupid - I'm only using them at home. Now I have no sharp edges problem at all (just a fashion one).

iSocks anyone?

skir0987

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Maybe apple meant for the macbook to have sharp edges to promote emo-ness XD

On the other hand, I have never had a problem with my wrists on my macbook, and I rest them on the edge all the time.

-Shep

Thanks Ruku. I'll look into the case you mention.

In the meantime, I have my own solution that is working pretty well for me. I cut the toes off a pair of socks and wear them folded double round my wrists, so they are like wrist bands (I guess I could have just got wrist bands).. I don't care that it looks stupid - I'm only using them at home. Now I have no sharp edges problem at all (just a fashion one).

iSocks anyone?

:eek: LOL! Whatever floats your boat... :D

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I think my Macbook is very rare, no sharp edges, runs well, all sealed up well.

Did someone know I was a perfectionist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.