Myers-Brigg Tests

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Has anyone ever taken a Myer-Briggs Personality test? I took one online earlier and it seemed to be fairly accurate when it came to describing my personality.

I figure they can can either be eerily accurate or complete off-base for someone.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

We took the test in class once and found that for the most part, the results were completely off...not too sure if that was just an isolated incident or if the test was just not that accurate to begin with. Of course, it was done at school, and you know how "wonderful" the American educational system is...

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I have first hand knowledge of it unfortunatley. :rolleyes:

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I hate those personallity tests. They seem pointless to me.

Its like you know that...say...you get pissed if people mess with you (example).

Then, it tells you "you dislike when people mess with you".

Oh, thanks for telling me!

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

We had to take a psych personality test thing for class once...I don't see how they can be accurate. "Do you hear voices? Do they tell you what to do?" Now, you could either lie either way, or just screw with them and say yes...but when you are asked questions like that, it just makes you go "Uh.... :rolleyes:"

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, I've taken the MB test a few times. Each time it's a little different. I find it depends a good deal on your mood that day.

I've had professors who tried to use those tests in class, if you take the test online it is as accurate as any other location. the big problem I had was that one prof. decided to try to use the test results to get us into groups with diverse personalities. Problem was she put the guy she though should be in charge because of his profile, but the other 3 of us thought he was an unmitigated ass, so we revolted against him. It caused way more trouble than it was worth IMHO.

7. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I've taken the Myers Briggs test five or six times over the past 17 years. I'm always solidly I, S, and T, but I cross back and forth over the J - P line from test to test.

That said, any reasonably bright person could produce whatever outcome they'd like with minimal effort. It's pretty transparent.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's the problem with most any personality tests you take...they all seem pretty transparent and depend on how you just happen to answer the question at a given time.

9. anneleonard macrumors regular

i did my degree in psychology, and the module on personality was the most stupid, pointless and futile business out of the whole 3-year-course. people can't be put into boxes, even though scientists, educators and politicians may want to do just that. i think we all know that we are different in different situations, not the same personality regardless of who we are with and the context.

i did a myers-briggs and i came out completely in the middle of loads of the factors. i think its a good start for people who aren't at all self-reflective, but i'm over-analytical anyway so i think i know myself quite well.

also they're so ridiculously written, asking stuff like "would you rather go out to a crowded party or stay inside and read a good book?". then they tell you on the basis of your answer whether you're an introvert or an extrovert. well, whoop-de-doo-basil, can't people work that out for themselves?!

10. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

While I would agree that these tests are merely a good starting point, dismissing them based on the fact that they put people into 16 different personality type boxes is a little harsh, in my opinion. There are shades of grey in all of this, if you read any books about MB, or take any of the more indepth tests for MB.

The test that I took that I felt was the best rated each trait from 60 to 60 (i.e., if you were an introvert, then you scored somewhere between 0 and 60 toward I, but if you were an extrovert, you scored somewhere between 0 and 60 toward E). When I took that test, I came out as an X (neither intro- nor extro-vert), strong N (somewhere around 50ish), X (neither thinker nor feeler, or, better put, balanced thinker and feeler), and weak P.

Again, of course this is only a place to start. I don't think that this defines who I am, or that I couldn't change if I wanted to. But it is a place to begin with understanding yourself, or others, better.

That said, I do find that people who try to use MB as a definitive tool to understand someone get on my nerves. We are human, and we are deep. That has to be worth a tremendous amount, and I think putting too much emphasis on any kind of psycho-babble (MB included) steals that from us.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

anyone got a link to a decent online M-B test? i took a personality test online earlier this week, and it labeled me as four things... two of them were like spot on me. my best friend took it and it nailed him completely. i wish i could remember what it was... i'll ask him if i get the chance.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I took it a while back...twice in fact...scored ESTJ...

it means I am more Extroverted than Introverted, Sensing than Intuitive, Feeling than Thinking, and more Judging than Perceiving...

here's a link to one on emode.com:

http://www.emode.com/tests/classiccareer

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

somewhere along the line we did one of those in school...I guess it's for teachers who wanted to stop thinking for a day or who didn't know what to teach.

My bro just started 4th grade. I think he took one of those. All this fluffy stuff in school these days. First day, "Interview your parents about the meaning of your name!" Second day, "Take a learning style test at home!" Third day, "Take a personality test at school!"

Where's the Math? The lit.? The stuff that actually matters. My brother's a sharp kid, but the fact that he really doesn't do enough studying coupled with the fact that his teacher doesn't have a good grasp of curriculum is definitely not a good thing.

Well, at least he is taking the standardized mathematics pre-test today. He'll be able to tell me now what exactly the math they're covering in 4th grade is. I bet he already knows most of it; I think tomorrow they have AG testing; I need to finish teaching him operations with fractions, and that good stuff.

Whoa. I really got off-topic. Sorry. But umm, err...Let me try to get back on. I took one of those personality tests once; I guess they are pretty accurate, but that's probably because you want to believe that they work. Once you get the results, you try to fit yourself to it or fit it to yourself instead of objectively seeing if it makes sense. Kind of like psychic readings. I tried my hardest to think of a funny example--but sorry guys, I'm just not feeling funny today...Most people say I'm never feeling funny. :D

Also, you can bend the results to be whatever you want. Let's say that you would really like to be one of those logical people. Subconsciously, you might alter your perception of yourself so that you can skew the results for your own self-fulfillment.

These two distortion factors really throw off the accuracy of the tests and our perception of the accuracy of the tests.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I can see you've never taught before. It's virtually useless to try to teach core material in the first 3 days of school. In fact, in primary school, the first week is usually a wash what with kids transfering in and out, handing out books, establishing rules, and trying to get a good classroom dynamic going. Anything taught during that time will just have to be repeated each day as you acquire a new student so most teachers at that level just hold off, and give the kids stuff to do that will keep them occupied while all the dust settles. You never know, the interview might be designed to get a first look at a kids language ability to help the teacher target kids with difficulty. I don't know if your bro's teacher is any good or not, but unless you know more than you have told us here, cut the teacher some slack before jumping down their throat.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

ah, you might be right. Maybe I was in a vindictive mood. I dunno, it hasn't been THAT long since I was in 4th grade, about 8 or 9 years ago, but I don't remember doing this kind of stuff.

But now that I think about it, I guess that's neither grounds to believe that I did not do it nor is it grounds to believe that it isn't effective.

And you're right, besides giving my little brother math lessons or tutoring classmates in calc/chem, I haven't really done any teaching before.

I tend to be harsh on teachers, I suppose, because I've seen so many ineffective ones.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No worries. I think alot of kids (even in college) don't realize how hard a lot of teachers work. I know there are many who are lazy and just repeat the same thing year in and out, but even so if a teacher assigns a paper to the class, the kid has to write one paper and the teacher has to read 150. Say 5 minutes per paper to give it a quick read and grading. Thats over 12 hours of grading, all outside of class every time a paper is assigned. Even something that takes 30 seconds to look at and record is over an hours work.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

actually, I think that the opinion of an instructor's relative lack of work is more accurate in college than in high school.

For universities with extensive graduate programs, like Northwestern, which I attend, most professors don't do much grading.

Of course, they do write tests, and depending on the class, this is an impressive task.

OK, fine, I crack on this matter too. My dad's a prof, and he does work pretty hard. But then again, my profs teach less classes than my dad and my dad's school doesn't let profs have TAs.

At Northwestern, most people do "research," which involves advising graduate students and lowly undergrads like me, as well as talking to people with money so that their money begins to pour into the research.

As you can see, I'm of two minds in this matter. I guess it all really depends on the teacher.

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

That's kind of illegal... Espically if it were done in a work setting.

I am a qualified instructor for Myers-Briggs. The MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) is very accurate. The trouble is that people are not. That's why there are three parts to the indicator. First is the instrument (it's not a test-there are no right or wrong answers). Second is where you think you fit. Third is where others (friends/family) think you fit. People do change slightly over time. That's typical

People are often very different when they are at work vs. at home. So the indicator needs to be completed with that in mind. Are you dealing with work or home.

And the accuracy of the Form M has been shown to correlate directly with age and education level. Most kids below 9th grade are not mature enough to answer the questions honestly. There is a youth version that scores better for younger kids, but I have never used it.

The Myers-Briggs is a very robust tool for personality typing. I would strongly suggest going through a instructor rather than taking an abreviated on-line version. You get so much more out of it if you can see not only your type, but the opposite type as well.

Oh, concerning the scores, a higher Introvert score does not mean you are not extroverted. It means you have a stronger preference toward being introverted. Strange as it might sound, I can be as introverted or extroverted as I want to be, but I lean toward being introverted. Come to my classes some day and I will tell you all about it! ;)

Well, I could go on and on... but I need to go home!

ejb (ISTP)

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh hell yeah, I had college profs who were in coast mode, cruising on towards a comfortable retirement while doing as little work as possible. Others were amazing, taking on more work than I can imagine doing. It totally depends on the teacher. No generality is applicable across the board.

20. Waluigi macrumors 6502

INTP

I took it a while ago. I'm an INTP, just like Einstein (I may not be as smart, but I did qualify to be in Mensa)!

Here is a link to find out about each of the 16 personalities.

This stuff fascinates me. Its really cool to read about a personality and think about a person you know....it will totally blow you away how accurate it is at times!

--Waluigi

21. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Meh. I think most of this stuff sounds accurate the same way horoscopes sound accurate. They just use generalities that are more or less true for everyone and, most important, are flattering enough for people to want to believe regardless of how true they actually are.