MySpace and Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DougJrS, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

Does anyone else notice problems with MySpace and Safari? Safari seems to "hang" on loading some pages from MySpace, and in general just go slower then other website.

Safari was just trying to load the profile of one of my friends and it hung with the spinning color wheele for 2 hours trying to load. It totally locks up Safari and the only way out is to force quit.

Any hints, tips, tricks...

Thanks,
    Doug

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Most of the time, it's not the browser, it's the page itself. Your friend may have messed up the code.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed - I definitely don't think it's Safari's fault, I would look closer at the code.

Or, perhaps since Safari is such an intelligent browser, it recognizes that MySpace sucks, and attempts to shut itself down. :p :cool:

4. DougJrS thread starter macrumors regular

Ok - I will give you that it is crappy code, but it does not hang other browsers. I think that I should be able to close the tab or the window without having to force quit Safari. I would think that bad code on a page that can hang your browser it very bad for the browser, if the code can hang it what else can it do?

Doug

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Often is Safari using superior coding or something like that, thus some websites not showing up.

Something like that, its about how websites are written and how Safari reads them or something.

Threads like this pop up quite often and I think thats the reply most of the time. :)

6. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

It sounds like a media file issue. Check to make sure your Quiktime and Flash are updated on your computer. If that won't work, you can try emptying your cache from Safari. Of course you could always use Firefox, which I prefer.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Safari doesn't like myspace very much... I have that same problem, which is why I use Camino.

8. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Firefox also has the benefit of adblock, which is essential for myspace.

And the hang ups and errors are mostly due to myspace. Oddly enough, it has become LESS reliable since being sold to newscorp or whomever. I'm not that shocked, really, but with all that money behind it they really should be running a lot smoother at this point.

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

No, I totally agree. MySpace can be slow sometimes, but it's always ridiculous in Safari (I notice the same with Firefox).

Then again, my computer isn't the fastest at rendering web pages (which is kind of stupid, seeing as a Windows machine similarly spec'd could run it faster).

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh myspace in Safari is pants. None of the pages display correctly. Its not Safari its poor coding on myspace's side of things. :rolleyes:

12. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Safari and Myspace performance is absolutely awful. Though I like using Safari otherwise so I've stuck with it. But yeah, there are some profile pages i can't even view because it takes minutes just to scoll down.

Never tried Firefox, but on my roommates PC (which is considerably slower than mine), she uses Firefox and it blazes through the same pages that brings my system to a hault.

13. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

It's usually due to that stupid transparent text that a lot of the teenagers on Myspace seem intent on using. Crashes my Safari all the time, but then most bands _have_ to use Myspace nowadays.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Oh yeah, exactly, that transparency which just looks completely ugly and unreadable. It used to crash my G4 all the time.

I've never seen so much bad layout and design than what I see on Myspace. Well not since the early webpages days of aol homepages, geocites, angelfire, etc..

15. Mindgame macrumors newbie

While bad code may be the culprit on some pages, Safari is not hugely Myspace-friendly. On some friends pages, their background image is only in the margins, while viewing the same page on a PC (IE) shows the whole pic in the background of the profile. I've also had trouble putting my own code into my profile through Safari. In some cases, when I've added HTML through Safari, the page doesn't come out like it should. However, if I add the same code in IE through my PC, it comes out fine (and is then perfect when viewed on Safari).

If you've ever tried to leave a comment on someone's blog, you'll notice a window come up saying something to the effect of the function not supporting your browser. You have to click on a separate link to be brought to another page. Also, if you've ever posted a blog yourself, it won't let you use the advanced editor (once again becuase it does not support Safari), and your apostrophes and quotations will often read as commas and semi-colons after Myspace converts everything to proper HTML code for display. After you post your blog, you have to go in to the code that Myspace generated and fix all of these puncuations and then post them inside the code. There is no reason that Myspace shouldn't permit apostrophes without code, but does so with code.

Basically, some discrepancy happens when HTML code is either added by the user through Safari, or is generated by Myspace when someone enters in text through Safari that Myspace needs to auto-code. Don't know why...

16. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Exactly! While the code on MySpace may be terrible, it still seems to run awesome in IE. That and it's a very popular site, and seeing as how a bunch of college and high school kids are getting Macs for the first time (who have had no prior knowledge of Macs before their parents got them an iPod) are going to be viewing places like MySpace, alot, I really hope the new Safari is better and can accommodate this. Because right now it's pretty lame.